Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your budget is $300 plus tax...

Gun would serve as a dedicated truck/car gun. Would be shot to verify function/reliability/accuracy. Then loaded up with new factory ammo and would ride in a glovebox most likely in a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB soft holster. Would serve as an always there gun, carried little if ever.

Probably take her to the range once a year, change out carry ammo...

What would you buy?

I'm leaning towards a used Charter Arms .38 snubbie...

·
Super Moderator
19,938 Posts
First off, I'd buy something used. Preferably in stainless, or a plastic gun like a Glock so that minimal parts could rust if the gun gets little attention. Reliability is paramount.

I'd look for a used S&W Sigma. They never really caught on and were overtaken by the M&P series in popularity. Your budget is a little light, but with some sharp-eyed shopping you shouldn't have to go much over your price point.

The Charter snubs are pretty rugged these days, but I think you'd be challenged to find a decent used one in your price range. You might look at Taurus or Rossi revolvers, although their quality is highly variable over the past few years (I've got two Tarus snubs which are rugged shooters, but that experience isn't universal).

Separately - I won't jump to the conclusion that others have that you are going to leave the gun in the vehicle all the time, but that is generally a bad idea from the standpoint of theft or unauthorized access.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson SD9VE for that exact purpose. It's very close to the Sigma mentioned above. Got it at Academy Sports brand new for $299 plust tax. It's polymer with a stainless slide. 16+1 capacity. Extremely reliable although not extremely accurate but it is acceptable. Perfect truck gun.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I'd say an S&W Model 10 38 SPL Police Trade In for $279. But I can't find them on their site today.

I bought a very beat up Ruger Police Service Six LEO trade in for the purposes of a car gun. Just get a good car safe to go with it and don't just leave it in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
I'm not a fan of leaving a gun in a car/truck unsecured, especially in the glove box or center console. Too tempting a target for thieves. A small lockable safe like the nano vault will secure it from a snatch and go.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I would look at a Charter Bulldog 44sp.

Powerful effective simple and not that expensive.

Another option is a C&R surplus firearm, say a CZ82 9x18 12+1 and a great trigger a very effective storage arm for under $240 or so.

Good look on your hunt!!!!

·
Banned
732 Posts
A well-used Glock of your choice would be my recommendation. Put it through a break-in test and then deploy it. However, as others have said, I wouldn't leave it in a vehicle 24x7 without it being secured in some way (more so than in a glove box.)

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I brought this up once before and the almost universal response was that it is a bad idea. However, if you do decide to dedicate a gun for car use and it is a handgun, I'd say go with as big as you can reasonably store/access. Personally, I'd say .45, 10mm, 357 Sig. A full size Glock or M&P with an extended magazine would be an excellent choice. OTOH, if you have the resources and dedication, an SBR would be perfect...not many problems can't be solved by 30 rounds of 5.56.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here's what I did.
I needed a truck gun too. For many reasons, including visiting two of my brother-in-laws who were both in the hospital with cancer.
Unfortunately, both have passed since then.
At first, I was looking at the then (2010), $179 police trade in revolvers on line. Almost pulled the trigger (pun intended), but didn't.
Instead, I went with a new S&W Sigma in 40 S&W for $280. The hospitals were in pretty nasty parts of town, and driving there, I wanted my pistol for at least the drive down. Well, you can't take them into hospitals here and I didn't want some goon to steal my pistol and worse yet, use it to hurt or kill someone. So I came up with a "best of both worlds" solution. Whenever I get to a "pistol free" zone, I drop the mag, empty the chamber, remove the slide and barrel and take it all with me, minus the frame. All parts are bagged up and carried in. No firearm on me! Petty crooks are usually not the brightest bulb on the tree, but it would be an even less-smart crook that would take a pistol frame without all of the other parts.
And even if they did steal the frame, which I truly believe would do them no good, I could buy another Sigma in 9mm and have two guns in one with all of the interchangeable parts.:wink:
I say get a used Sigma or SD series S&W. They can be had for a very reasonable price and seem to be everywhere. A local pawn shop by me sells at least one and sometimes two, every few weeks. Most are like new, and almost all sell in the $225-$250 range.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Where I grew up a truck gun was always a long gun. Usually a .22 semi auto of sorts. This could be stored by the seat while driving , or behind the seat when not in the truck. Again, theft was not an issue as most people knew if that someone left a gun in the truck, the owner had more guns inside to shoot at you when his dogs woke him up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of the idea. Anytime I HAVE to leave my sidearm in the truck, I lock it in a box beneath the seat, not the most secure but I don't generally leave it for more than an hour and a half.

That said, if I were going to do it, I'd probably go with something stupidly inexpensive like a HiPoint .45. They're ugly bricks of a gun and heavy as a cinderblock, but they're stupidly accurate and completely reliable in my experience.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I have a gun in my truck and my car each and every time I get in them. Don't need to store it either.

Always Carry, Never Tell.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was going to suggest carryvault, but when I went to the link I had saved, it wasn't there anymore. ???????????

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I do not believe in dedicated car guns. There was a recent article which said that criminals are pretty aware of their chances of find a gun in a car/truck. Plus guns can get tossed around quite a bit in a car and need to be examined frequently. If you carry all the time as you are supposed to then there is no need for a separate gun for the car. One in Glove box is not readily accessible and does not help you if you have to exit your vehicle for any reason unless it is a carry gun, which you then should be carrying on you. I have nothing against an extra gun in the car in addition to the gun on you but not in lieu of.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts