Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a "air marshal" holster for medium and large auto's from deepconceal.com. I have been looking for a comfortable holster rig that is similar to a shoulder holster with much less bulk. I think this will fit the need.
Just curious if anyone else out there has used this holster or have heard about the company.

Once I get it and try it out, I will do a personal review of the holster for all on the forum.

This is thier web site: Deep Conceal, The Best Little Holster you will Never See

Thanks and Stay Safe! :smile:

http://deepconceal.com/

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
It looks pretty nice for my 438 when the temps aren't too high. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks pretty nice for my 438 when the temps aren't too high. Thanks for the link.
your welcome,
:yup:
I thought it looked like a nice set-up.... If the air marshal's are wearing them, they must be pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
829 Posts
ARe the Air Marshal's wearing them or is it designed for those types of needs... I was under the impression an air marshal would carry OWB under a suit coat or IWB Tucked.

Anyway it looks like the kangaroo carry, I have thought about this mainly for the comfort factor (belly bands just don't work for me). Not sure about speed to draw. I am happy with IWB tuckable so I'll wait before adding anymore holsters to my collection.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARe the Air Marshal's wearing them or is it designed for those types of needs... I was under the impression an air marshal would carry OWB under a suit coat or IWB Tucked.

Anyway it looks like the kangaroo carry, I have thought about this mainly for the comfort factor (belly bands just don't work for me). Not sure about speed to draw. I am happy with IWB tuckable so I'll wait before adding anymore holsters to my collection.
From what I could find out they say that some marshal's and /or pilots prefer this holster due to it's concealment features and ease of drawing from the sitting position.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
From what I could find out they say that some marshal's and /or pilots prefer this holster due to it's concealment features and ease of drawing from the sitting position.
Nice product, but it doesn't appear easy to draw from no matter what position I could imagine being in. I would have to half way undress to get to that and need at least five seconds with the hijacker's heads turned to put it into play. I'd stick with an IWB tuckable. Maybe a straight drop on the weak side cross draw for being seated. SmartCarry would be another option. My 2¢

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
More to say... My only reservation is that I seldom wear an undershirt and the usual elastic/Velcro tends to irritate the skin and wears out quickly. Seriously, I believe a quality bra manufacture could come up with something far more comfortable and durable. This would bring a whole new meaning to Victoria’s or (Victor’s) Secret.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
It looks like the firearm would poke into the rib cage. Looks like it would wear very quickly, but at that price if it turns out to be comfortable it would be cheap to replace. It is probably difficult to holster the firearm.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My buddies who are air marshall's are using the Galco Sky Marshall because it sits very low but is quickly accessable (not as fast though as an IWB that sits a bit higher) Yet, this new holster looks to be another good tool in the box of deep concealment. I will get one and probably use it for a small handgun.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
That’s a pretty nice rig ‘Galco Sky Marshall’. I looked at a vendor site to see if was provisioned for j-frame but I couldn’t tell. The next time I have a spare hour, I’ll try and access the Galco web site which I believe is the dead-last slowest site on the internet. YMNotV

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Holstering a sidearm is NEVER a speed contest. I could care less if it took a bit more concentration and two hands to holster, so long as the draw is fast, smooth, and snag free.

Looks good for office dwelling desk jockeys, extended road trips, or anytime you are not real active.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd be concerned about sweat damaging the carry weapon over a period of time. I service my handguns often, but the salts from the body would wreak havoc in no time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
That’s a pretty nice rig ‘Galco Sky Marshall’. I looked at a vendor site to see if was provisioned for j-frame but I couldn’t tell. The next time I have a spare hour, I’ll try and access the Galco web site which I believe is the dead-last slowest site on the internet. YMNotV
I have a J-frame (model 60) and tried a Galco IWB (not the sky Marshall). I hated it, felt like I was trying to put a walnut inside my waist band. I just went with a OWB Galco.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Yes, Galco leather is cut pretty thick and I'm not as keen on IWB as I use to be. This particular version appears to be quite slim. Overall, I like pocket or shoulder styles and at least one good OWB. Unfortunately, the whole process usually means a lot of trial & error and subsequent returns. Recently, I was quite bored so I ordered a couple of custom rigs (seemed like a good idea at the time) so, I'm the hanger for those with my toes crossed.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I understand the whole trail & error, that's why most of us have a holster drawer full of sometimes used holsters. For IWB I love the MTAC (semi-auto only). The 1911 single stack seems the best for IWB, although my P229 works very well in the MTAC. I just can't arm-up to the revolvers for an EDC. Less fire power and harder to carry enough re-loads. I'd like to try the whole shoulder rig thing but I hate to put out the $$$ to find out I hate it. I also can't practice at the range except when I'm the only one around with a horizional shoulder rig.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I understand the whole trail & error, that's why most of us have a holster drawer full of sometimes used holsters...
I hear this a lot, but have never bought a holster I couldn't find some use for...

Some have been adapted for my recliner, my night stand, under my desk or in my car and some are OK for carry in a specific situation (like when conceal is not an issue).

Maybe I am pickier about what I buy than most.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Yeah, I had a top end Galco shoulder rig for my last 1911, and I purchased all the extras. I think it was close to 250. I ended up selling it to a forum member way below retail. The Galco Shoulder rig was great, but my full size stainless custom .45 was simply too much for conceal carry on my size frame.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Seriously, I believe a quality bra manufacture could come up with something far more comfortable and durable. This would bring a whole new meaning to Victoria’s or (Victor’s) Secret.
You're exactly right!

I spent several months designing my own under-the-shirt shoulder holster for a j-frame scandium .357 snubby (11oz empty, 14oz loaded), because I didn't like anything available commercially (and still don't). It was a LOT harder to get right than I expected. I had thought it would be easy for such a small and light gun.

To get REALLY good concealability, I had to reverse-cant the gun very slightly (which makes for an even slower draw than with vertical positioning), and also position the grip quite close to my armpit. Good concealment also requires that the gun be snugged in close to your body, and with no freedom to flop around at all.

After I was finally satisfied with my design, I realized that the whole difficult problem of designing a harness that can conform to the compound curves of the body had already been solved...by brassiere designers! If any of us guys were confident enough in our masculinity, the quickest way to get a good harness would be to buy a brassiere, and just cut the cups out of it. But I doubt that any of us could handle that.

Women have a big advantage on us there, but I suspect most women wouldn't tolerate the fact that you need to use a somewhat loose-fitting and opaque-printed-fabric cover shirt to get good concealability out of this scheme.

And I agree with you about the need for an undershirt...I wouldn't want to wear my harness on bare skin. But that's not a problem for me...I don't use my shoulder holster in the hot summer, when I don't wear an undershirt. In the cooler months (most of the time in Colorado), I normally wear it over an undershirt, and then cover it with a roomy flannel shirt. Conceals better than anything I've ever seen...but it's definitely NOT a quickdraw.

Mike Fontenot

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
A couple of decades ago there was a company that made a canvas holster that threaded thru the side straps of concealable body armor allowing carry of a back up in much the same way.

Bought one and tried it with a model 60 S&W........ HATED IT. Very uncomfortable.

·
Banned
86 Posts
I made one of these from a modified belly band and velcro straps about 20 years ago for daily deep concealed carry. The one I made looked almost exactly like the pics in the ad. There are two problems with this kind of rig in my experience. First, unless the pistol is a small one (ppk for example) the rig sags on the side of the pistol. The second problem is you will sweat like crazy, i.e. its definitely NOT I repeat NOT comfortable after a long day. If I were an Air Marshal having to wear this thing (like in the ad), this rig would make me really cranky sitting in an airplane all day long. Plus the velcro pistol retainer can make it very difficult to get the pistol out in a hurry (especially if you have to search for the velcro pull tab). I tried this rig with several different pistols both large (biggest was a snub nose S&W 429, (i.e. forget it completely stupid just wanted to see if it would work) and small Colt 1908 pocket pistol (it got lost in the holster). Also note that unless the pistol has a really short barrel your ribs are going to be gouged out by the end of the day (not to mention the pistol is going to be soaked in sweat).

I gave up on this kind of "elastic band" rig and instead wear a Galco VHS vertical holster for my CZ 75B SA. The holster is actually for a 5" 1911 however after a little working in of the finger break the CZ 75B SA fits tight and draws and re-holsters fast. I wear this rig concealed and even sleep with it over a T shirt when necessary. I don't like the horizontal carry "Miami" style of this rig because it is tough sitting down in a chair (unless perhaps if you weigh 400 pounds etc LOL).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts