Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm 5'8", 200 lotsa gut. Wear tucked in polo shirt at work. Since carrying at work is a firing offense, I need deep concealment .

I sit, stand, move around, bend a lot. Lots of sitting between all the other stuff (hence the gut).

For comfort/accessibility/deep conceal, I'm leaning toward Thunderwear-type below-the-belt holster, but wanted to know if I'm missing the boat on something else that would work well for me.

Carry weapon will be .45acp Glock 36 or Taurus PT-145/745 size/weight.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Update: since posting this a few minutes ago (thanks for the fast responses), I also tumbled onto the Kangaroo under-the-shirt chest-band style. Some other threads had some interesting feedback on that one, too.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
First off, Welcome to the forums. :wave:

Since carrying at work is a firing offense, I need deep concealment .

Since you already know the ramifications for carrying at work, I wont go into that. IMHO, you need a smaller gun than the G36. I know it's nice to have the largest caliber you can but you want to deep conceal it too. I'm not a fan of the Thunderwear or Smart Carry system, it seems to take too long to draw the weapon. Besides, I just cant get over the fact that it may be pointed at my junk. Maybe consider a pocket pistol such as the P3AT, LCP or lightweight revolver. Set up properly with the correct firearm and holster, pocket carry is very effective and easier to conceal. Obviously, my opinion.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
A G36 would probably do well in a SmartCarry. I carry a G27 in one occasionally.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am not a fan of the smart carry position. I use IWB holsters which are tuckable. You may want to consider a single stack slim pistol for ultra conceal (Kel tec PF9, Kahr PM9, Taurus slim, Walther PPS, etc...) The pocket pistol is also a great idea, you can do an LCP or P3AT in a pocket holster, I use the P32 and my wallet is about the same size.

I wear polos and kahkis every day, with a tuckable holster EDC and pocket holster BUG. I buy my polos one size big and specifically buy those which are not "t-shirt" material (keeps pinting down). I hang the shirt down even, attach my holster to pants and belt and pull up sliding the shirt into position...fasten the belt good and snug and then evenly pull out some of the polo shirt all the way around and allow the fold to hang down over my belt. This gives free range of movement and conceal of the clip of the holster. I also slide my cell phone near the clip which will bunch the shirt a little and since everyone can see the phone it is no big deal.

I recommend a good belt. I used a regular dress belt for a while but now I shop specifically for a thick (1/8"), stiff and wide (1.5") belt. I have found Dickies and Levis to fit the bill for around 10-15$. They barely fit in some of my belt loops on dress pants so be cautious of an thicker. Also I avoid flat front dress pants b/c they print a pocket pistol. Some cargos are technically flat front but they are cut different so it is more like pleated.

Also I have begun to gradually buy the dressiest cargo style pants I can... For all my accessories I shop sales, closeouts, oulets and bargains... the extra pockets are great for the wallet, mints, and keys leaving my primary pockets for backup gun, knife, xtra mag or 2 for EDC. By the way I use the ACE CASE tuckable holsters hich can be had at cheaperthandirt for 10 bucks and I like them.

by the way my EDC is a PF9 60% or 1911 full size 40%.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The Crossbreed Supertuck is adjustable for cant and depth. Set it low and wear your shirt untucked if possible. Also wear a shirt one size bigger and a dark color.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I would and do wear the SmartCarry. If worn correctly, the gun isn't pointed at any part of you.

I suggest pleated pants, sized a bit loose, if you're not wearing them already.

I realize your primary concern is staying concealed, but one can draw very quickly with the SmartCarry, especially if you are wearing a tucked shirt. If your pants and belt are not too tight, you can draw one-handed.

I carry a double-stack XD-45 compact. I will guess your Glock 36 will be even easier to hide.

One option for you, which I have done, is to order a dual-holster SmartCarry. This will give you the option of carrying your Glock in either side. Sometimes carrying on the opposite side (still positioned for your strong-side draw) will cause any small bump from the grip to be centered along your zipper line. A bump there is much less noticeable than a bump over to the side.

OTOH, sometimes a small bump near your strong-side front pocket will look like you have something in your pocket.

But with your G36, if you wear the SC low as it's intended to be, you may not have a bump.

The SC has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so the only thing you have to lose is a little time and some shipping money.

I've worn my SmartCarry, with an XD-45 and an SP-101 at the same time, for thousands upon thousands of hours and have never been made. Granted, most of that time was with a good cover shirt, but some of it was with tucked in shirts or shirts that didn't hang low.

Dressed correctly, I believe you could carry 2 G36's with a tucked in shirt and not be made.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use a Smart Carry with a Kahr CW9. Wear it low, shift it left of center. Let your belt out one notch.

Can do a wide range of activities with no particular problems.

My belly's not quite as big as yours, but particularly when sitting it's difficult to draw.

·
Registered
11,193 Posts
Smartcarry. Do a search. Good points above.

Beware the under-arm holsters. I used a holster t-shirt for awhile, and was made by a simple hug. :hand1:

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I don't like the Smart Carry, but many do...that's just me. I'm built about the same as you, and I couldn't handle it. Just a KelTec in the front pocket would work just fine, with a .45 in a CoM safe hidden in the car.:wave:

ret :31:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe consider other weapons?

Maybe consider learning how to use a knife + spray for SD and carry that instead?

Carrying at my place of work is also a firing offense. Considering that the chance I'd ever need a firearm at work is extremely small, and the pay + benefits is very good, I never carry at work. If I felt the need to carry a SD weapon at work, I'd certainly consider knife + spray before firearm (knife + spray isn't prohibited, but I don't even carry that).

Also (not trying to be an a*s here), your weight issues may be a bigger threat to your overall well-being than any realistic BG scenario (depending on where you work + other factors). Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster

This is the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster from Action Direct

You can find it here.

I have worn one of these out and am now working on my second one.

You can wear it for 20 hours straight and don't even know you are carrying a gun. Very comfortable and easily adjustable or reposition it during the day if needed.

Like all "special purpose" holsters, there is always some give and take. In this case, you sacrifice some draw speed in order to obtain absolute concealment. But not as much speed as you may think. One of our members who is a federal agent wears a similar rig almost exclusively when in business attire and he can draw and fire double taps on steel targets at 7 yards in something around 2.6 seconds.

With this type of holster, you can increase speed by wearing cowboy type shirts with snaps instead of buttons. If that type of shirt is not an option, what this Federal Agent does is take one of his buttons on his shirt and sews it permanently to the button hole so it becomes essentially a "false button." He then glues or sews a velcro dot to the back side of the button and on the other edge of the shirt to keep the shirt closed. This helps increase his draw tremendously.

If you don't want to do that, you can merely unbutton one of your middle buttons in a situation where you may need to draw.

The holster itself has two elastic shoulder straps which criss cross in the back which helps support much of the weight of the gun and is what helps in it being so comfortable. There are two pouches for spare magazines or a flashlight or folding knife and there is a removable velcro retention strap over the gun. I usually remove it and never had any problem with retention of the gun.

I have carried anything from a Glock-23 to a 3" Ruger Speed Six .357 Mag or smaller Ruger SP-101's day in and day out without any problem.

For your body type it is extremely comfortable because it rides above your gut and tucks the gun in nicely under your arm pit. You can even rotate the gun forward a bit if you don't like it directly under your arm pit and have it in front of your arm a bit if you have problems reaching that far across for the draw.

Again, just one option to consider.

Deep Concealment Holster

With regular shirt and tie

·
Registered
278 Posts
Polo shirt: tucked. A holster undershirt or kangeroo will force you to untuck the shirt and pull it half way up your chest to access the pistol. Too SLOW, too much to do in a bad situation. Sounds like either smart carry or pocket for available, completely concealed and fast. Personally I would really consider pocket carry with one of the light autos or a J frame revolver.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cross Breed SUPERTUCK - check it out! Comfortable, tuckable and adjustable. Works great for me with my full size 1911.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Polo shirt: tucked. A holster undershirt or kangeroo will force you to untuck the shirt and pull it half way up your chest to access the pistol. Too SLOW, too much to do in a bad situation. Sounds like either smart carry or pocket for available, completely concealed and fast. Personally I would really consider pocket carry with one of the light autos or a J frame revolver.

Well, Duh! It ain't a holster for polo shirts! Don't think anyone said it was. We're talking business attire, not casual attire.

I understand he usually wears a polo shirt. It's what he stated in his post. I was giving other options for not only the original poster, but for other people who read the thread with similar work constraints.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm 5'8", 200 lotsa gut. Wear tucked in polo shirt at work. Since carrying at work is a firing offense, I need deep concealment .
Bark'n: I was responding to the OP's post and HIS REQUIREMENTS.

Sorry if I was responding to HIM, not you or others.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
My bad... Sorry about being snippy.

Yes, I realized the original poster does wear polo or pull over shirts... however several hundred people read each thread looking for pointers and suggestions and the thread title refers to Deep Concealment Options.

Trying to be helpful for the masses.

Again, my apologies. Been a long 48 hours at work.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Welcome aboard! :smile:

When I need "deep concealment" the SmartCarry is excellent! Grady is our resident expert too. :wink:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Being of short stature and large configuration (me), I'd suggest that you step down from the G36 for deep concealment if you're going to take the risk on carrying.

A Ruger LCP is a much better option for deep concealment than the G36 for your particular scenario. Size truly matters. You'd probably like the stopping power of the .45ACP over the .380, but you're sure to print with what you described.

You could even go Crossbreed Minituck for the LCP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, everyone! Regarding the polo, I'd considered going in through the V-neck with a button or so undone for draw. Of course, I don't HAVE to wear the polo's either - I could were a colored dress shirt, like a light blue. I like the velcro false button as well.

The SmartCarry also looks good to me, cause who DOESN'T reach for their junk when they're scared, huh?

I'll take a look at some of the other suggestions, too. Thank you all!

GSh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts