Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had 2 incidents at work recently.

The first one an employee left a "hit list" on the break room table. He was immediately fired but I've seen him on property after.

The second incident was a guest (I work at a resort) threatened to "shoot up the place". This happened 2 days ago and resort management did nothing. They didn't ask him to leave or even call the police. The fact that they did nothing disturbs me deeply. They obviously care more about guest reviews than employee safety.

I've never carried at work but I'm now very seriously considering it. The problem is, it's not allowed. It's immediate termination if they find out. I would need a concealment method that would absolutely never be exposed. It's not against the law, we don't have no gun signs it's just against company policy.

The only thing I can think of is a lcp or maybe shield in something like a 3 speed holster and wear it just below my belt.

It's an office setting so I wear a tucked in company polo shirt and dress pants. Can't change it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Don't just say find a new job. I'm currently looking but finding something that pays close to what I make isn't easy around here.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
When I had a Ruger LCP I had a wallet size holster for it and carried it in my strong side back pocket .

Something very similar to this one .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,717 Posts
We've had 2 incidents at work recently.

The first one an employee left a "hit list" on the break room table. He was immediately fired but I've seen him on property after.

The second incident was a guest (I work at a resort) threatened to "shoot up the place". This happened 2 days ago and resort management did nothing. They didn't ask him to leave or even call the police. The fact that they did nothing disturbs me deeply. They obviously care more about guest reviews than employee safety.

I've never carried at work but I'm now very seriously considering it. The problem is, it's not allowed. It's immediate termination if they find out. I would need a concealment method that would absolutely never be exposed. It's not against the law, we don't have no gun signs it's just against company policy.

The only thing I can think of is a lcp or maybe shield in something like a 3 speed holster and wear it just below my belt.

It's an office setting so I wear a tucked in company polo shirt and dress pants. Can't change it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Don't just say find a new job. I'm currently looking but finding something that pays close to what I make isn't easy around here.
Tucked in makes it a bit tougher. I go .380 in front pants pocket with a wallet-looking holster when I'm faced with similar circumstances.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I don't do ankle holsters, but that might be what you're looking for.

Speaking from experience, pocket guns and dress slacks don't play together so well. When you sit down, the small gun and holster like to come out of the large slippery pockets. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't do ankle holsters, but that might be what you're looking for.

Speaking from experience, pocket guns and dress slacks don't play together so well. When you sit down, the small gun and holster like to come out of the large slippery pockets. YMMV.
Ankle carry is out due to the way I sit and because I have an open desk to the main lobby.

I hand the same concerns about pocket carry as you.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
There are makers out there that make pretty slick shoulder holsters for small guns. We had a guy at our church that used to carry a .380 in a shoulder holster under a tucked in shirt, I could never tell.

If you bought a pair of really comfortable dressy Cowboy Boots (like the Justin Techno Crepe) you could probably successfully ankle carry in the shaft of the boot and nobody could tell. These boots are classly looking and SUPER comfortable.

https://www.justinboots.com/footwear/men_collections_tekno-crepe

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
I've worn the Kangaroo holster which goes under my shirt at times when I needed deep concealment. It requires a bit of practice to use it effectively. In addition, since it is worn against your skin, you probably would want more than one so you had one to wash when the weather is warm.

The draw is not the fastest, so again, practice is required.

The one shown in the photo is a larger one, but they make them in a variety of sizes.

product-standard3-holster-hover_large.jpg

https://www.kangaroocarry.com/collections/holsters/products/small-handgun-gun-holsters

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
While I would not want to get into a "gun fight" with one of these, but it does beat pointing your finger and saying "stop that".

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22lr/

North American Arms 22 LR revolver

Wrapped in a men's handkerchief it will disappear in your back pocket.

I'd also recommend a good defensive lock blade knife, and get training on how to use it. A good friend of mine is a retired Seal Team member and that is all he carries.

I suspect your work rules do not prohibit knifes, as they are used by most maintenance staff in their work.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
I have an occasional need for deep carry. I use a DTOM (Don't Tread On Me) Possum crotch holster with a .380 Bodyguard (shown below with an LCP). It is similar to a Smart Carry. It rides inside the pants, under the belt. It does not show a bulge at all with loose fitting khaki pants. It is very comfortable, I hardly know I have it on, standing or sitting. It does not interfere with restroom use. I can't see how anyone would ever know you had it on. One thing about "crotch carry" is that is an area people avoid staring at. The draw would not be super fast, but if you have both hands free, it is not all that bad. You do have to experiment to get the right tension on the strap. It is more comfortable if you let it ride slightly lower than you first think would be good. The waist/belt of your pants keeps it really secure. It ain't goin' nowhere accidentally.

41tLC0qJrxL.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/Medium-Denim-Possum-Crotch-Holster/dp/B007QG6ZGE?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an occasional need for deep carry. I use a DTOM (Don't Tread On Me) Possum crotch holster with a .380 Bodyguard (shown below with an LCP). It is similar to a Smart Carry. It rides inside the pants, under the belt. It does not show a bulge at all with loose fitting khaki pants. It is very comfortable, I hardly know I have it on, standing or sitting. It does not interfere with restroom use. I can't see how anyone would ever know you had it on. One thing about "crotch carry" is that is an area people avoid staring at. The draw would not be super fast, but if you have both hands free, it is not all that bad. You do have to experiment to get the right tension on the strap. It is more comfortable if you let it ride slightly lower than you first think would be good. The waist/belt of your pants keeps it really secure. It ain't goin' nowhere accidentally.

View attachment 306356

https://smile.amazon.com/Medium-Denim-Possum-Crotch-Holster/dp/B007QG6ZGE?ref_=ast_bbp_dp
This is very similar to the 3speed holster I was thinking about but cheaper. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
One thing about deep concealment is the people you only casually come in contact with are easily fooled. but people you see and work with everyday are much harder.
My mom's uncle wore suits that had a leather pocket sewn in. That stiffer pocket kept his gun from sliding over and making a clunk as he sat down on a hard chair. it kept the gun from being outlined through the pants pocket, and kept the gun from wearing a hole in the thin pocket material. That was before flatter semi auto pocket guns were common.
Just stiffining the pocket will do the same, and allow you to pocket carry. That stiffining can be as simple as an iron on patch that wraps around the pocket. I have done this mostly to repair a pocket worn thin from carrying too many keys. But it works well to hide my J frame revolver that I pocket carry. I can pocket carry in "fairly" tight Wrangler jeans without the gun showing through. Good Luck. DR

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I've carried in the pulpit in church for many years without anyone ever knowing. This is my current list of ones that work best:

1) ComfortTac Bellyband holster - This one will conceal almost anything, but many times I carry a S&W Bodyguard 380 and 2 spare mags. I've also carried a Glock 30S and 1 spare mag. Draw is a little slow, so this is one of those "surprise I have a gun kind of options."

https://www.amazon.com/ComfortTac-Ultimate-Belly-Holster-Concealed/dp/B01ED1UP8I

2) I found this thing by accident. I was looking for a way to discreetly carry 2 spare mags. Then I discovered that it holds the LCP or BG 380, or even a Ruger LCR and looks like you're carrying a cell phone. Compared to other methods, it is easier to spot but offers a much faster draw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076FF1R56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3) A small gun in a good shoulder holster under a button down tucked-in dress shirt is a great combination. One of the smaller 9mm's or 380's, will completely disappear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ILHWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) Ankle holsters are good also, but as with the belly band, can be a bit slow to draw. I've had good luck with this model:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CNSHAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry they're all from Amazon. Pennies count when you're retired. :embarassed:

FORGOT - I use pocket carry in the Desantis Nemesis which works with a few dress slacks without attracting Mae West. (You youngsters will have to look that up!) Most dress slacks print pretty bad that "something" is in your pocket. With the right pants, they are excellent as they allow you to actually have the gun in hand in concealment.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts