Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on using a handgun for deer hunting this year with one of the old handgun cartridges, the .45 Colt, or if you prefer, the .45 Long Colt. Its been a few years since I've used a handgun for deer hunting and I have the opportunity to use a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 7 1/2" barrel in .45 Colt that my step-father had owned. One of my brothers actually came into possession of the revolver upon my step-father's death a few years back and when I told him I thought I would be toting a handgun as my primary firearm during deer season he asked me if I would like to "take care of it for a while", to which I replied, "Most certainly!"

I am starting to develop some loads with this firearm, starting out with the old standard 250 RNFP cast bullet over 9.0 grains of Unique, with plans to work up some 270 SAA Cast and also the 250 Grain Hornady XTP of a stouter nature later perhaps.

I ordered a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster with the Chesty Puller chest harness to pack the Blackhawk around.

Blackhawk Bisley .45 LC.JPG

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley w Simply Rugged Chesty Puller Holster.JPG

First six shots at 25 yards two handed offhand. These need to be tightened up some.

.45 LC 9 grains Unique 5-19-20.JPG

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
That should be exciting!

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I am planning on using a handgun for deer hunting this year with one of the old handgun cartridges, the .45 Colt, or if you prefer, the .45 Long Colt. Its been a few years since I've used a handgun for deer hunting and I have the opportunity to use a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 7 1/2" barrel in .45 Colt that my step-father had owned. One of my brothers actually came into possession of the revolver upon my step-father's death a few years back and when I told him I thought I would be toting a handgun as my primary firearm during deer season he asked me if I would like to "take care of it for a while", to which I replied, "Most certainly!"

I am starting to develop some loads with this firearm, starting out with the old standard 250 RNFP cast bullet over 9.0 grains of Unique, with plans to work up some 270 SAA Cast and also the 250 Grain Hornady XTP of a stouter nature later perhaps.

I ordered a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster with the Chesty Puller chest harness to pack the Blackhawk around.

View attachment 327122

View attachment 327124

First six shots at 25 yards two handed offhand. These need to be tightened up some.

View attachment 327126
Not too shabby. I usually pack a handgun along with a rifle when deer hunting just in case one comes in close. Last year I packed my ruger sr 1911, but only used the rife. 25 yards is pretty much my max confidence level for deer hunting with an open sighted handgun. I have a 3.75'' ruger superblackhawk .44mag I'd like to take along but I need more work with it to hit reliably at 25. If I'm there this fall, I'll probably pack it along in a holster setup very similar to yours.

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
Good for you Old Man! Focusing on the important stuff. Sure beats all the background of the past weeks.

I’m guessing your regular stomping grounds aren’t putting you at a 200 yard shot. The venerable 45 will do the job. I’ve got the Puller rig and a few Simply Rugged holsters to use with it and I like it well enough. I’ve found that with a shorter revolver, while climbing stands, etc .... any activity that causes me to lean forward, the firearm “feels” like it could slip the holster. I’ve never actually had any issues, just a feeling. So on the last holster that I ordered, for the 686, I had them add the removable top strap. No more concerns. But with that hog leg that you’re carrying should be no worries at all.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good for you Old Man! Focusing on the important stuff. Sure beats all the background of the past weeks.

I’m guessing your regular stomping grounds aren’t putting you at a 200 yard shot. The venerable 45 will do the job. I’ve got the Puller rig and a few Simply Rugged holsters to use with it and I like it well enough. I’ve found that with a shorter revolver, while climbing stands, etc .... any activity that causes me to lean forward, the firearm “feels” like it could slip the holster. I’ve never actually had any issues, just a feeling. So on the last holster that I ordered, for the 686, I had them add the removable top strap. No more concerns. But with that hog leg that you’re carrying should be no worries at all.
Thanks for sharing your experience. The Bisley seems to be pretty secure in the holster. I wondered about the strap to go across the backstrap and decided that I could stich one on myself if I thought I needed it.

Two years ago I lucked into having access to many different farms in three different counties in Missouri that are owned by one family. They are all primarily agriculture land, but have a lot of different types of habitat and cover to hunt. This will be the third year. The first two years went like this for the four deer that I took: 1st year - 25 yards and 145 yards; last year - 270 yards and 80 yards. I'm pretty sure that I will have opportunities inside of 25 yards if I set up in the right spot and am patient.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Good luck Old Man, I hunt handgun like I bow hunt with about the same distance ; )
H/D

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Hunting deer with a handgun can be as challenging as hunting with bow! Years ago when I broke my back in 3 places and was recovering from my injury I was determined to go deer hunting. I picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag to use. I never got an opportunity shoot one that season but I do appreciate the skill involved. I guy I worked with at the PD harvested several deer with his Glock 35 .40. He kept all his shots at less than 25 yds and he said none of them took more than a few steps before going down.

Reactions: msgt/ret and SFury

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I have hunted with a handgun before and taken small game and varmints, I am like you @5lima30ret and have never harvested a deer while hunting them with a handgun, so this is on the "Old Man's" bucket list while my eyes and steadiness are still adequate to hunt to use one. I know several of our DC Forum members have taken deer and other large game with handguns before and I, too, appreciate their skill! Both of my brothers, who also happen to be younger than me, have taken deer with handguns in .44 mag, one using a S&W M629 and the other a M29. I need to show those young whipper-snappers that their older sibling still has it and can keep up. Ah shucks, they know better than that, ha ha!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
With open sights it definitely is more of a challenge. While I finished one off lying on the ground at 15 yards, that really doesn't count.

I can honestly say that with open sights my ability matters more than the gun and round I choose to have. Honestly, I don't practice to shoot beyond 25 yards with my pistols. I'm not preparing to do long range shooting with my handguns.

Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I love the hunting handguns. Thanks for the pics.

I hunt from a tree stand. For years I looked at different handguns for whitetail. I was tired of lugging a full size rifle up and down that tree. I wanted something easier to swing on target. Not nearly as classy as a single action or muzzle loader handgun, but here is my whitetail pistol.
:hand29:

20191024_181829.jpg

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Awesome! I also hunt with a Ruger Blackhawk, 7'5", 45 Colt. I don't do it for any challenge or anything, I am simply lazy. It is hot here so the less I carry the better. It is also very dense brush/swamp so a revolver in a chest rig is easier for walking and longer shots are few and far between, less need for a rifle.

Try those XTP bullets. They work great on hogs and loaded stoutly punch through brush nicely.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Just realized deer season is close here, August 01 for bucks only. I went out once on opening day and will never do so again though. Just too hot. It was 102 with 98% humidity. A freind had some of us out to his family farm to do some walking. I mostly just got bitten by bugs and hoped we didn't shoot anything that I would have to help carry. After about an hour, we went back to the house and did a little shooting. Then put the guns away and sat on the porch drinking. Like you are supposed to do in the south during the summer.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Does anything move in the day with weather conditions like that? It's bad enough in Wisconsin in the mid-80 or lower 90s and 80-85% humidity. The young deer might be moving, and the squirrels, but nothing else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts