Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a small town north of us here in Utah, called Paragonah, population 488 in 2010. They have even more deer hanging out there than we do where I live. While patrolling this morning for our sheriff's office, we drove by the two houses that always have deer in their yards (I am pretty sure they feed them, which is of course, illegal). I thought this was pretty amusing. There are a couple more deer beyond the fence.

Deer.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Heck, given how docile that deer is you would be in compliance with that sign if you harvested that deer.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
It's illegal to feed them???

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Feeding wildlife is illegal in many states.
I suppose so, but around here, and in Texas, too, deer feeders are about as common as trees! :rolleyes:
We have one in the back yard just to draw them in to watch - not to hunt.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Yep, in some places feeding deer is a capital crime:
:lolp:

I can tell you we've got some of the fattest raccoons you ever saw!

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose so, but around here, and in Texas, too, deer feeders are about as common as trees! :rolleyes:
We have one in the back yard just to draw them in to watch - not to hunt.
Yes, I know it's legal in Texas.

you may be breaking the law by feeding wild animals. Even those who have been maimed as a result of illegally feeding wild animals have been criminally charged. Case in point: A Florida man who lost his hand to an alligator while feeding it in 2012 was also charged with a misdemeanor for illegally feeding the predator.

Most states have laws prohibiting the feeding of wild animals, especially on public land. Federal law also prohibits feeding wildlife in federal parks.

https://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2014/07/is-it-legal-to-feed-wild-animals.html

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
feeding alligators by hand????
We had a hard time breaking my father-in-law of that! He had a habit of having a few beers and going out to feed table scraps to the gators in the bayou behind his house. We figured that sooner or later he was going to end up with the nickname, "Lefty"!

I think what finally cured him of it was one day when he slipped on the bank, and fell halfway into the water while the gators were gathered around for their dinner. Seems he quit feeding them right after that! :yup:

·
Super Moderator
23,358 Posts
It's illegal to feed them???
Typically considered “baiting” and prohibited. Illegal for deer and moose in Maine. Bears in Maine are an exception to that prohibition.

Feeders become a disease vector, so many states frown on feeding. Additionally, deer feed can be low quality and comparable to giving human toddlers a diet of twinkies. :blink:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I went bear hunting near Ukiah, Oregon years ago on some private land surrounded by National Forest. I met up with the owner who gave me a key to the gate and some nasty sturgeon.

He said the fish was for baiting. I told him that was illegal in this state. His response was how else are you going to find a bear?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I went bear hunting near Ukiah, Oregon years ago on some private land surrounded by National Forest. I met up with the owner who gave me a key to the gate and some nasty sturgeon.

He said the fish was for baiting. I told him that was illegal in this state. His response was how else are you going to find a bear?
I'm guessing you didn't have a pack of bear dogs with you. Did you? There are only two proven effective means to hunt bear. Chase them with dogs, or to bait them in. That's it.

Some laws are passed for good reasons, and sometimes they are passed by idiots. California has a lot of rules based on stupid. With a boatload of issues caused by it. Out of control mountain lion problem, forced rolling blackouts, bad management of forestland causing wildfires to get far worse than they should, and so many other issues. I'm guessing the Oregon law was not passed to keep the bear population healthy. It may have been passed to keep people feeding them around cities, but then it was done improperly if that was the goal.

The no feeding rules for deer in many states are attempts to stop spreading diseases. Most of Wisconsin can no longer bait deer because of the spread of CWD, chronic wasting disease, in the deer herd throughout the state. A stupid move as far as I'm concerned. Not because I don't want CWD eradicated, but because the scientists have no clue as to what causes it, and how it spreads. That, and the deer yard together in the winter, making the use of bait piles a non-issue. I'm applying a bit of common sense here, and am critical of knee-jerk law that was passed.

I'm also not for some of the BS that I've seen other "hunters" do. Baiting should be done in a limited fashion. Wisconsin has had restrictions on bait pile sizes for decades. A good thing, when you have witnessed people taking ATVs into the middle of the larger tracts of public land with hundreds, if not over a thousand, LBs of corn at times. That isn't good for the deer, and alters normal movement patterns screwing everything up for the gun deer season. Needless to say, my hunting group has reported several illegal baiters over the years. Huge bait piles also make deer go nocturnal too, which then encourages poaching.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts