Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to hear some opinions. I've shot about 2,000 rounds now with my S&W M&P Shield 9mm. While cleaning it today after some range time, I noticed some scratches and nicks deep enough for my fingernail to get caught in at the end of my barrel. (See pics) Never looked like this until today.

I usually shoot 115g brass FMJ ammo. The only thing I did different today was shoot some defensive ammo for the first time, Federal 124g HST, and only 8 rounds. Is my barrel defective? Or is this normal wear and tear? Should I be contacting Smith and Wesson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That almost looks like it was done in the opposite direction as the way the bullet is going.

Are you sure that is not jacket or bullet core material that has been left in the barrel?

Would almost suspect cleaning rod damage.

But, I honestly have no idea what could be going on there, sans what I mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
from that pic and the light, it looks like jacketed material from fired bullets, when cleaning the barrel always use the cleaning rod from the back of the barrel, on removable barrels guns of course.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Almost looks like the lands have been chipped off by something going into the barrel from the wrong way. Hard to tell

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
S&W has great customer service.

I would ask them what they think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, seems like it was some copper residue from my SD rounds, which probably shot a little hotter than my range rounds. Used some Hoppe's Elite cleaner and a brass bore brush and it's all good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
No worries Mate! When it comes to foolish mistakes, we're well-documented EXPERTS. I've even got a few...NAMED after me! :blink:

Glad you can now...Remain Calm & Keep Shooting! :3a:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good deal... I've been fooled like that a few times myself. Once that stuff welds itself on, it looks a lot like it's part of the metal. Glad you're good to go. Stay safe :35:

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Firearm barrel steel is tougher than many give it credit for.

Barrel land steel will never chip at the muzzle just by shooting the firearm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts