Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally had my heart set on a Range Officer Compact in 9mm for my 50th BDay gift from my wife to go along with my LTC. Researched it, held it, loved how it felt in my hand, thinking I could conceal it with no problem, watched numerous videos and really had my heart set on a 1911 carry with low recoil. Then I go to the range yesterday and an older gentleman (65 ish I would guess) beside me rolls out an absolute dream team of 45s. He has about 5 Colts, including a Defender with Hogue grips, a mil spec cmdr, as well as an Ultra Carry and a Wart Hog. Even had an EAA thrown in. I look over and say, "Wow! You must be single!" He laughs and says nope but what my wife don't know won't hurt her! I asked if he only shot 45s and he says no but today is 45 day!! I remarked that I was planning on getting a RO and he said you better shoot my Defender and Ultra Carry before you do that! This is an outdoor range near Dallas and we mostly had it to ourselves. He was so kind to insist that I shoot his guns (Defender, Ultra Carry and EAA). Owning a Taurus 111, a Russian Mak and a Llama 45 Max 1, I was amazed at the difference in a quality gun. Definitely learned you get what you pay for when it comes to handguns. If I really take my time, I can shoot decent groups with my guns but usually have a flier or two. I just always thought that was me. Well, with his magnificent collection, I was shooting groups that were touching each other by just aiming and squeezing. Couldn't believe it was actually me shooting! Honestly never really noticed much recoil at all, I guess I was just having too much fun. And all three shot amazingly with little recoil, even the percievably very light weight Ultra Carry (upon research the Defender and Ultra Carry II are listed as both being 25oz?). The EAA actually might have felt the best in my hand but was the chunkiest by far to me.

I finished my session by running another mag thru my Taurus 111 G2.......I felt like throwing it in the pond next to the range after shooting those amazing triggers on his incredible guns. It was mean to do that to the Taurus...

This experience really has me rethinking my choice. Maybe go with a 45 now. He claimed that he bought that Kimber for under $700 at a gun show in Dallas and gave me the name of the dealer. I called and indeed that Ultra Carry II can be had for under $700 at a show. That is less than the RO Compact in DFW.

Maybe next time I run into Jack, I will have a gun worthy for him to shoot..

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Ive owned a defender for years I did toss those ugly rubber grips and went with better wood ones. I also have a Officer little more weight and 1/2" more barrel . Neither has had 1st problem in relieabilty . I an not a fan of Kimber as I had one and like many others on internet found Not the great pistol you think they are. I took a beating going back to a Colt But learned my lesson .
My self I have more Colts than any other . I have a DW but never carried . I prefer the Colts for carry. Guess because my 1st 1911. I bought was a Colt.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I was also a little surprised that I didn't perceive any more recoil from a 3" aluminum Defender-size 1911 than I did from a 5" Government-size gun. Going to a dual recoil spring really changes the feel to me.

I feel bad for doing this, but now you need to find a Dan Wesson CCO or Eco to fondle.

·
Banned
770 Posts
I have the Colt Defender. My brother has the Kimber Ultra Carry. Great pistols. I think the Kimber is the best buy on internet. Check Slickguns.com

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You won't be dissapointed with the Springfield. I'm not really crazy about Kimber but I didn't have a problem with the one I had except I felt it didn't handle recoil well. I've always wanted a Defender but just haven't gotten to it yet.

Of course it is your call, but personally I prefer.45 in a 1911. That's not to say I wouldn't own one in 9mm but the majority of them will be .45.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
... I was amazed at the difference in a quality gun. Definitely learned you get what you pay for when it comes to handguns.
Generally, that's true. True quality and exacting design shows, through the balance, the trigger feel, the operation and reliability.

Have had a few lemons, over the years. And there's been a few sleepers. The early 1990's Browning BDM 9mm, for example, took well over 10K rounds to smooth out, but then it became a tack-driving machine of epic proportions, practically without failure for the next ~30K rounds. Who knew, when they designed it, particularly given all the negative press during the end of the "wonder-9" era. And with the Kahr PM9 9mm, which is such a puny gun but which is (at least in my hands) one of the most accurate and well-balanced pistols that exists. If they'd add bomb-proof reliability, they'd really be onto something.

One of the best I've ever fired is the S&W 3913 and related "cousin" pistols of the series. Discontinued, now, but those have always felt to me like they came tuned from S&W. The Performance Center variants certainly did. A quality Colt 1911 is in that same class of gun too, generally. I hear many feel the same way about the Dan Wesson revolvers and 1911's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You won't be dissapointed with the Springfield. I'm not really crazy about Kimber but I didn't have a problem with the one I had except I felt it didn't handle recoil well. I've always wanted a Defender but just haven't gotten to it yet.

Of course it is your call, but personally I prefer.45 in a 1911. That's not to say I wouldn't own one in 9mm but the majority of them will be .45.
One of the reasons that I had identified the RO was that it has been touted as near competition grade and I admit that I want a gun i can have fun with at the range. I was blown away at how well all three of his guns shot. The Kimber hit about an inch high at 10yrds so I had 2 rounds above and 3 rounds dead center, the other two I just blew out the center. Easily the best 15 rounds I have ever put down range! As far as 9 vs 45, well honestly a lower recoil and about 30% cheaper ammo is a big draw. At this particular range, the target platforms are 2 x 4s with fiberboard to hold the targets at eye level. When a .45 round hits the target, the whole contraption rocks and fiberboard splinters fly. With the 9mm, not nearly the fireworks. Tough call as I want to shoot my gun a lot. Maybe I need to look into reloading .45??

Thanks for the feedback guys. And I agree, shopping for guns is a blast!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had a Kimber Pro Carry II for years so long that the night site don't work anymore.. I like shooting it and it dose shoot very well.
I have been looking at that Ultra Carry II for some time now just not sure if I need another gun. But you never know

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I really like all my different 1911's. The 45's get shot 3-5k rounds a year, while the 10mm gets about 3k rounds a year. Yes I handload all my ammo to save on my addiction to shooting. Every 1911 will operate the same but some just seem to feel "better" while doing it, at least to me. Over a number of years I have owned or shot probably 50 or more different 1911's, and have discovered that price is no guarantee of enjoyment. I shot $4,000 guns that felt and operated no better than a $900 one. Your experiences wont mirror mine by any means. The sub 4" 1911's have never felt comfortable to me due to their shorter grip length. Then again, I do have somewhat larger hands. There are currently a number of different 1911's on the market in a huge array of prices. Choose what features you want/need, choose your price point, and go for it. For me, the 1911 will always mean 45acp. Your gun, your choice. Just enjoy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have multiple 1911's... government, commanders and the RO Compact in 9mm. I like .45 and in the winter will carry the government sized gun with my commanders. I will carry the RO compact a lot in summer along with my Commanders. I chose to get the compact in 9 because I didn't have a 9mm 1911 and if I was going to give up a round, I could gain rounds by going with the 9mm. I love options and love the options I have. I don't feel undergunned with 9. For me, I am not gaining much by going from the compact to an officer sized gun because the 4in barrel is not what is hard to conceal. I'm not trying to persuade you in any way, do what you want to do because you are the one that needs to be happy in your choice, I'm just giving you a different perspective that may not have been mentioned. CCO seems to be a pretty good option if concealing smaller 1911's. Research and try them all out. Find what you like and get it, later on you will want a different 1911 to go with it, don't ask my how I know that, it just happens.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've owned the Kimber UCII for some years now. I fell in love with them ever since I first saw them. Had to own it, bought it. Heard that they were finicky, but mine seems to purrrr like a kitten. Never had not one problem. Of course I keep a tight grip on her. And the 5" 1911-G (DE) has a slide like silk and smooth a butter, stays on task. I enjoy them immensely and have found them to be reliable tools. Those are my winter carries. lol, like it really gets cold here, huh. lol

Reactions: Goldy49

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I'm waiting on a kimber stainless ultra carry II in 9mm now . Not as low as low priced as the 700 dollar one but local general store price new is 729 . Not sure it will replace my other carry pistols but sure will give it an honest try out !!

·
Registered
231 Posts
My .02 cents, I am, and always will be a 1911 guy. I have owned a huge amount of semi-custom to factory 1911's. Ruger, Kimbers, S&W, Colt, Taurus, Dan Wesson, Springfield Armory and few more, shot everything else. You learned a valuable lesson many don't, that you do pay what you get for. That being said, am big fan of a 70's series pistol. There are three that in my humble opinion are well worth what the cost is and all three made in the USA. 1) Ruger SR1911, for the money, this pistol will run and be accurate, I ditched the factory sights for fiber optic. 2) Oriskany Arms, they are relatively new in the 1911 line's, but been building parts for great many years, I have two of them, that is only out shot by one other pistol and you can get it your way cheap comparably, 3) Hands down the best 1911 pistol built for the money is Dan Wesson, I have many but the CCO in 45 and the Guardian in 9mm is my two favorite.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Our general store /LGS is one of kimbers prefers dealers and our dealer sells everthing orderd for 10% above his cost . $729 plus tax of course !! was a NIB price for the stainless ultra carry II . It is the econo 1911 line for kinber . I have 200 rounds of mixed ammo down range this morning and so far with one mag its 100% reliable but have more ordered . I did try some low powered loads I had for a grandson to enjoy , They did hit me in the chest or shoulder but that's not the first time I've had that happen with several new small pistols with heavy recoil springs . Its a good little shooter .

1 - 20 of 57 Posts