Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, i just got my first batch of hollow points... 124 grain HST's. next time i may try 147 grain, in either HST or Gold Dots...

I do want to ask however, why do some boxes say "Law Enforcement" and some don't? are they different?

Whats the difference between duty ammo and personal protection?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Only difference is packaging.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only difference is packaging.
So is that why the personal defense is $22ish for box of 20 and LE is around the same for box of 50? thats it?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
So is that why the personal defense is $22ish for box of 20 and LE is around the same for box of 50? thats it?
Because marketers will rob you blind any chance they get. That's really what it's all about. I bought 50rd boxes of 124gr HST a couple weeks ago from Target Sports USA for $1 less per box than the 20 rd boxes locally. Didn't get the fancy plastic case, but paid hals price.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because marketers will rob you blind any chance they get. That's really what it's all about. I bought 50rd boxes of 124gr HST a couple weeks ago from Target Sports USA for $1 less per box than the 20 rd boxes locally. Didn't get the fancy plastic case, but paid hals price.
OK, just checking, thanks... as far as the grain... is there any big deal between 124 and 147? or as long as my carry has hollow points I'm good to go?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I like either just fine. To me it comes down to what your gun will cycle, and how well you shoot it. My P938 doesn't like the 147's too much, so I usually buy 124's. But I'll buy the 147's if the price is right and use them in other guns.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ianthin is right. Just packaging. The "law enforcement" thing is just for LEOs and departments to get more rounds at a cheaper price point. The 20 rd HD boxes are priced higher and marketed to civilians. There's no difference in the rounds themselves, and it's not illegal to purchase them, unless you live in New Jersey.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got 124's... Should I shoot off 5 as a test or is 50 a better assessment?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Some people say 50-100-200? I personally think if a certain ammo is going to give you trouble it will happen in the first magazine or 2. I use Lehigh Xtreme Defense .380 in my TCP and LCP and that stuff is like $1.50 rd. I don't have the funds to shoot off 50-100 rounds to make sure it's reliable. I bought 2 boxes of 20. Shot off 10 in each gun without an issue and am keeping the other 20 for SD . YMMV.

PS- Federal HST 124gr is a fantastic SD rd. It's what I use in all my 9mm. Just the right comination of bullet weight and velocity and the flower pattern when it expands is a thing of beauty.

Reactions: craze and Zredwire

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Some people say 50-100-200? I personally think if a certain ammo is going to give you trouble it will happen in the first magazine or 2. I use Lehigh Xtreme Defense .380 in my TCP and LCP and that stuff is like $1.50 rd. I don't have the funds to shoot off 50-100 rounds to make sure it's reliable. I bought 2 boxes of 20. Shot off 10 in each gun without an issue and am keeping the other 20 for SD . YMMV.

PS- Federal HST 124gr is a fantastic SD rd. It's what I use in all my 9mm. Just the right comination of bullet weight and velocity and the flower pattern when it expands is a thing of beauty.
Statistically speaking...30 rounds should be the minimum size sample population to get an effective result. That said, I only buy inexpensive ammo or SD ammo on sale only.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I usually shoot a box of 50 through a gun before I carry that round. Make sure to try it in all your magazines that you may carry as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll pop off 25 in my and my wife's guns. Then if all is well, re-up! 🤠

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Packaging as previously mentioned and also pricing.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
In the old days much of the HP SD ammo looked like a truncated cone and many pistols objected to that style bullet but nowadays most SD HP's look closer to a truncated RN bullet and most guns of modern design like them just fine. I feel comfortable with a lot less test ammo than I did 25-30 years ago. YMMV.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing i noticed is that the bullets were dirty on the outside, like not dusty, but actual marks and just looked... blah... normal or reason for concern?

if necessary i can provide a photo tomorrow morning...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
One thing i noticed is that the bullets were dirty on the outside, like not dusty, but actual marks and just looked... blah... normal or reason for concern?

if necessary i can provide a photo tomorrow morning...
Yes, I've bought boxes of premium hollow points that had blemishes on them. As long as it's just cosmetic I don't worry about it. They don't all need to be bright and shiny to do what they need to do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts