Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question about layering several layers of plex-glass or lexan together to provide protection .

2- layers of 3/4" lexan
2 layers of 1/2" lexan
For a total of 2-1/2" thick what level of protection does this provide by possible caliber or class .
The reason i ask is i put this together for our lobby in our office space for some level of security.

·
Super Moderator
19,439 Posts
Why not just buy the bullet-resistant Lexan and be done with it?

The early stuff (c. 1980) came in two thicknesses, 1-1.5 inch thick. Each was 4 layers held together with a semi-permanent adhesive; outer layers were maybe 1/4 inch and inner layers double that.

I worked next door to a plastics distributor back then and heard gunshots one afternoon. They had invited a local cop to fire different rounds at some samples to use for demonstration purposes. At about 5 years, 3 .44 mag slugs on the same quarter-sized target bulged the back side but didn't penetrate. The .38 got maybe halfway through and the .357 magnum was between the .38 and .44 in penetration. They didn't try any rifle rounds.

I seem to recall there was benefit to the specific lamination (layering) process, but I can't tell you today what it was. Do NOT use plexiglas - that's acrylic and will shatter. Lexan is polycarbonate and will be far "stickier" with bullets trying to penetrate.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
I seem to recall there was benefit to the specific lamination (layering) process, but I can't tell you today what it was.
There is a flexible membrane between the panels. It's only visible from the edge of the panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts