Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in my introduction that I was looking for a way to help my girlfriend to protect herself when I go to boot camp and subsequent periods of separation. She's only 17 so a CCW is out of the question. but I looked into tasers and the kimber pepperblater. If anybody has any suggestions advice I would sincerely appreciate it. She's my world and I can't let anything happen to her.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Get her into a good female self defense class. Both tazers and pepper sprays can be overcome, but of the two pepper spray is the better choice IMO. But something that teaches better situational awareness and ways to create distance in order to leave the situation is probably the best bet.

·
Registered
806 Posts
17, hunh?

Well, tasers are an option, as are the whole array of OC/Pepper sprays, but...

I guess I council for knives. They can be hidden, palmed, and deployed very quickly and easily. They don't require reloads or batteries, and they are fairly widely accepted (no extra attention drawn).

I would go with a CRKT M-16 variant. They are very reliable (the one I carried in Iraq, I still carry), and they come in different sizes to fit a variety of hands/needs. Not to mention, that for the quality, you don't get soaked on price.

TOPS knives makes EXCELLENT knives if price isn't that much of an issue. My wife and step-daughter both carry one.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Get her into a good female self defense class. Both tazers and pepper sprays can be overcome, but of the two pepper spray is the better choice IMO. But something that teaches better situational awareness and ways to create distance in order to leave the situation is probably the best bet.
Yep..

All the tools in the world won't help someone who doesn't have the will, skill or ability to use them.

Pepper spray such as the Kimber Lifeact or a tazer is a good start however as it is a non-lethal distance-abled defensive tool.

Knives and stun guns are contact tools (if you can touch them they can also touch you) not to mention that the use of a knife is lethal force which may be something she's not ready to deal with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I appreciate it and have some ideas to go from now. If anybody else has suggestions please continue.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah I'd go with pepper and situational awareness. Thats how I went about it with my GF it worked for a while but needs reenforcement, She started going out again without the pepper again.

P.S.
How the baby lima?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I mentioned in my introduction that I was looking for a way to help my girlfriend to protect herself when I go to boot camp and subsequent periods of separation. She's only 17 so a CCW is out of the question. but I looked into tasers and the kimber pepperblater. If anybody has any suggestions advice I would sincerely appreciate it. She's my world and I can't let anything happen to her.
A ring! :yup:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Pepper spray for her purse, a 20-guage youth model shotgun for at home.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wouldn't go with a taser. Overpriced, expensive to practice with, require activation, large size, etc.
Your girlfriend would be more likely to carry around the Kimber pepper spray gadget who's name keeps on changing - a lot of young ladies in this day and age go with tiny purses. Chances are that a taser wouldn't fit, but the Kimber should.
I'd recommend the Kimber, and also a knife. A knife can function as a weapon or, more often, as a useful tool for scraping, prying, and cutting. My typical carry knife is a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Mini-Covert. About the size of a small Swiss Army knife, has a thumbstud for quick opening. There are thousands of other knives which are just as good or better, that just happens to be mine. If daggers are a-okay in your state, the Gerber Guardian (not the Vietnam-era 7" or 8" blade, a 2.5-3" one) is great. It's got a very nice sheath that can be easily adjusted for tension, and the blade is easy to sharpen. The sheath can also clip to your pants, your belt loop, your pocket - etc.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
You might start with an NRA class called Refuse To Be A Victim. You can go to NRA.org and locate a class in your area.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
You might start with an NRA class called Refuse To Be A Victim. You can go to NRA.org and locate a class in your area.
Here's a good start...:yup:
The shotgun at home isn't bad either.:22a:

·
Registered
711 Posts
+1 on the NRA classes suggestion.:yup: Pepper spray is probably the best bet for now. Being in martial arts for quite a few years now (I'm a female), the knife route isn't the way go. Unless you're REALLY good, you're going to get overpowered, cut, etc. as you have to be close to use a knife.:icon_neutral: Most women won't be proficient or strong enough to ward off an attacker (usually a man). Situational awareness is paramount.
And..the 20 ga. at home is a good idea too if one is confident/proficient with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts