Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Still rocking the M1 Carbine and Winchester Model 1907 here.

Same ol' photos.

M1 Carbine with hiking companion Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel.

Winchester Model 1907 .351 Winchester with factory 10-round magazine installed.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Been thinking about this. My idea of long gun for defense has changed over the years as I gained knowlege and experience.
At one time I had to have the latest golly-gee-wiz-bang artillery to make me feel adequately armed.

There are different long guns available depending on location around the farm.
House:
AR pistol 10.5" BCM side charge upper with a basic Anderson lower, Holosun 515 red dot and generic BUIS, NC-star weapon light.
Currently loaded with Hornady 55gr SP because it is what I have on hand. If/when they become available, I plan to stoke it with 77gr TMK's. At the moment I only have enough to load one magazine. Just not willing to trust them until I can run enough through to verify function.
16" ATI AR with a 4x Leapers LER, loaded with Hornady 55gr SP
12g 18.5" Mossberg 500 with Federal classic 00 buck.
Rossi Puma in 45 Colt and a Marlin 336Y in 30-30

Shop
12g Mossberg 500 24" vent rib with Modified choke and usually stoked with #4 shot. Other loads available.
Mini-14 loaded with Hornady 55gr V-MAX.
Both are more apt to be needed for varmints than two legged deffense.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
And I know this is going to cause some howls of protest, but in the event of needing to use a long gun outside, I am seriously looking at my Ruger 10/22 with the BX25 magazines. With the scope at low power, it is quick and accurate at middling ranges. My son and wife could easily use it, unlike my other options, due to the low recoil and relative quiet. And with homes in all directions, the .22LR may pose less risk. The Israelis use theirs for quelling violent riots and such...which is exactly the kind of situation that may cause a citizen here to reach for a long gun. The AR is not the answer to every scenario.
I just put together a braced 10/22 Charger with iron sights. I'm planning on using it mainly for plinking but I like the idea of having it on hand for home defense with the BX-25 loaded with CCI Velocitors or Stingers. I live in the city and can just about touch the houses on either side of mine so I don't have a lot of area to protect. I have a 9mm Kel-tec Sub2000 that would also work well in this situation. I don't foresee any long distance gun battles in my future although today's unusual circumstances have me considering a rifle caliber lever gun

·
Registered
33,868 Posts
Here in the FL burbs I don't need "long-range" defense, so while I have a scope for my AR, I use the basic carry handle iron sights to keep it simple. Bare-bone AR, no extra frills to screw up under pressure.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
My only long gun for defense.
I set it up like this, against the wood pile sometimes, up against the bedroom corner and sometimes setting up against the safe.
00 in town and Black magic slugs in the brush.
870 express.jpg

I suppose I could use one of my bolt action meat guns for self defense?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Very simple setup for me. Shake awake Optic, Flashlight, Sling, Silencer, same setup on both my long guns I keep ready.
Tavor loaded with Hornady TAP, with extra mags standing by with M193 and M855 and MP5 ready with 147 HST. (Same round I load into all my defensive pistols)
I keep meaning to get a mag coupler for both so I can reload without pants.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Home Defense long arm is a CZ Scorpion EVO S3 pistol with a brace. Right now it is pretty well stock with a "shake awake" red dot.

I have a Form 1 out for a suppressor. Once it returns I will probably do the same for an SBR license. I suspect that the whole "Brace" thing will eventually end by executive fiat. Other than that, I am thinking of putting a light on it.

However, so far, just a brace and a red dot.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Got an AR / an SKS / two lever guns - .44 mag & .30-30 / and a Remington 550-I, semi auto .22 rifle. All iron sights.

I don't have a bolt-action or shotgun in the mix, but don't feel under gunned either. Any future upgrades would be on the AR, and that would be optics, but fortunately there's no need for that yet.

TBH, my long gun training is none. About 80% of long gun shooting has been via indoor ranges - 50 yrd.

I much prefer shooting long guns, compared to handguns.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Same ol' photos.

Favorite pair out of the thread. So much gunfighting class between the two, they should be considered royalty.

·
Super Moderator
21,908 Posts

Same ol' photos.

I just love those, I'll take your "same ol' photos" any day.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't know what to choose. Long guns... 410 bore SxS, 20 ga bolt, 12 ga wingmaster as well as a SxS. Reach further? 10 ga SxS ( don't trip both triggers at once lol). Bolt in 25-20, pump in 32-20. Marlin lever in 32 win special. And a sporterized 303 Enfield.

ETA: probably going to add an AR or 3 to the group at some point. That pistol of @Bad Bob looks like just the ticket for one of them.

·
Registered
Various
15,464 Posts
I don't know what to choose. Long guns... 410 bore SxS, 20 ga bolt, 12 ga wingmaster as well as a SxS. Reach further? 10 ga SxS ( don't trip both triggers at once lol). Bolt in 25-20, pump in 32-20. Marlin lever in 32 win special. And a sporterized 303 Enfield.

ETA: probably going to add an AR or 3 to the group at some point. That pistol of @Bad Bob looks like just the ticket for one of them.

All of the above. :yup:

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
C7E6795B-BB35-42F2-BD1A-B6BAB58BF558.jpeg

Here is my shorty: 9” BCM .300 Black, MCMR rail, Troy Irons.

The Carbine/Patrol rifle proficiency class I attended with with Justified Defensive Concepts was amazing. I’ll get a review AAR up this week in the training section. To be in a class with seven other students and have the attention and combined experience of 5 Cadre was quite the jump on getting to that next level I am always striving for.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts