Defensive Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How open does open carry have to be? Does it mean that part of the gun must be exposed? Large part, small part? Travelling to a state that allows Open carry, but not CC. Checking options.

Has anyone has this defined as yet? I am pretty sure that I will just take it as NO carry for me. I am not interested in attracting undue attention. I was thinking of IWB, with about 2" of grip sticking out of my pantline..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know that in Louisiana if you have a CCW you can not have any showing. But if you don't have a CCW you can walk arround with it showing aslong as you aren't causing a public disturbance with people scared to death of you. don't know if that helps

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
It is IMO somewhat ''all or nothing''.

Here in PA concealed is concealed - so nothing should show. If (unlikely) I was to open carry in public - it would be 100% exposed. No half measure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I was thinking.. Holster outside visible, or notta.. I did more research and found the city I was going to has its own law prohibiting OC anyway...

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
47 Posts
not really

SimmCity3 said:
I know that in Louisiana if you have a CCW you can not have any showing. But if you don't have a CCW you can walk arround with it showing aslong as you aren't causing a public disturbance with people scared to death of you. don't know if that helps
not necessarily true. According to the Louisiana Attorney General's office, you cannot be arrested for 'disturbing the peacy' by merely having an open firearm.

As it was explained to me during the phone call, you cannot disturb the peace with a firearm unless you are holding it (not in the holster) and are actually doing something with it to justify concern to the general public.

Merely having an openly carried firearm does not automatically constitute 'disturbing the peace' in Louisiana according to the AG.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bud White said:
here our open carry is all or nothing

I like the option to carry open or concealed.

While I DO have my LA CCW permit, I prefer open carry....

I have to worry less about accidentally exposing my firearm though, because if it becomes visible, it is considered open carry in Louisiana.

I've read that in some states, you can actually be charged or arrested if you are carrying concealed and your firearm becomes exposed.

Not sure how true that is, but it seems like a pretty stiff penalty for someone accidentally bending over and having someone see their gun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where does "printing" fall?

In the summer I usally wear T-shirts. If I carry IWB and have to reach up for something I risk the gun hanging up on the light fabric. For this reason I usally end up carrying in a pocket holster, but I still worry that people will see my gun printing. To me it is obvious, but then again I know its there. Open carry is legal here, but that dosn't make it a good idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts