Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my new fort knox gun safe delivered tomorrow, and it will be a relief to get all of my firearms in one safe place. It will be bolted to the concrete in my garage because I've heard horror stories of people getting there safes cut out of the floor or wall. does anybody have feedback on how well those electrical dehumidifiers work?

Reactions: CG11

·
Registered
397 Posts
sorry, no tips on dehumidifiers.

but... DampRid is a great inexpensive option. Available at Home Depot. I have a satchel of it in my safe.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I've always used them in my basement and they work fine.

I don't think it's gonna work in your garage, if you're going to be parking vehicles and opening and closing the garage door. Since these things pull moisture out of the air, it takes time, and a reasonably sealed environment. If you're gonna open a large garage door and let in large volumes of whatever level of humidity, your de-humidifier will never stand a chance.

If you do decide to get one, I recommend sizing it for the space (the specs will be on the box) that you intend to use it for, and also insure that it comes with a garden hose attachment. When you install it, attach an old garden hose to the bucket and run it into either an outflow sewage drain, or outdoors somehow. Otherwise, you'll have to be emptying the water bucket every 24 hours or so.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I've always used them in my basement and they work fine.

I don't think it's gonna work in your garage, if you're going to be parking vehicles and opening and closing the garage door. Since these things pull moisture out of the air, it takes time, and a reasonably sealed environment. If you're gonna open a large garage door and let in large volumes of whatever level of humidity, your de-humidifier will never stand a chance.

If you do decide to get one, I recommend sizing it for the space (the specs will be on the box) that you intend to use it for, and also insure that it comes with a garden hose attachment. When you install it, attach an old garden hose to the bucket and run it into either an outflow sewage drain, or outdoors somehow. Otherwise, you'll have to be emptying the water bucket every 24 hours or so.
+1 I think those safe dehumidifiers and dessicants wouldn't do it for you.

Keep the firearms that arn't going to be used well oiled and preserved while cleaning the others weekly. Taking the gunsafe out of the house takes it out of the climate control.

Its hard to imagine... my small floor safe ALONE weighs about 250-300 lbs... with it loaded up probably closer to 450-500lbs. They would have to cut the wall and the floor around it... in which case they would have bigger problems :rofl:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm getting my new fort knox gun safe delivered tomorrow, and it will be a relief to get all of my firearms in one safe place. It will be bolted to the concrete in my garage because I've heard horror stories of people getting there safes cut out of the floor or wall. does anybody have feedback on how well those electrical dehumidifiers work?
Unless there is absolutely no possibility of an inside location I would re-think the location of the safe. AFAIK, the locations is too exposed unless you have a closed garage and the vehicle door is never opened.

Add to that the climate control issue. If you have air conditioning inside, you have no need for a de-humidifier. A simple damp-chaser such as the GoldenRod will be all you need. Same deal with heat in the winter - less chance of condensation in and out of the safe. If you do keep it in the garage, spend the money for the dehumidifier.

My safe is in my basement and I don't have A/C, but I have a 40-pint de-humidifier that keeps the basement at 45-50 percent. That, coupled with the damp chaser keep the safe interior at less than 45 percent year round. Rust and condensation is not a problem on anything in the basement.

My Ft Knox is 25 years old, now and it's still the best investment I have ever made. It was $600 in 1984. :wave:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I believe that passive de-humidifiers are just as good as the active de-humidifiers. It's just a matter of how many and in what quantity.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I believe that passive de-humidifiers are just as good as the active de-humidifiers. It's just a matter of how many and in what quantity.
I bought mine 2.5 years ago; plugged it in, turned it on - haven't had to touch it since.

I don't think the same claim can be made for passive units. :wave:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
You need a Golden Rod, they are the best and every safe should have one. Never had the first issue with mositure/rust on any gun in my safe in many years of use. This is the first thing you buy after you get the safe. Plug in and forget, issue solved.

GoldenRod Dehumidifiers - New Products - Oxnard, California USA

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
To be honest if the SOB's have the "pills" to get my 500lb safe out of the house, load it up and drive off with it.....they can have it, I have pleanty of firearms insurance. Most B&E types will not take the time to mess with a gun safe, they just want to grab the stuff they can get out with fast.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Get the dehumidifier. Why not? They don't cost that much. You can alos pick up the larger desicant containers at Cabela's as an alternative.

I see you are in Oregon. Depending on what area, I would think you have a little more humidity there than many other places. I'm in Idaho and humidity here is very low so we don't have the concerns that many others do, e.g., southern states and the Pacific NW.

Its' cheap insurance IMO.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
FWIW, I was referring to an actual refrigeration-based, water-removing dehumidifier, not an electric heating element, which is what the GoldenRod is. It doesn't actually remove water from the air; it simply warms the air in an enclosed space and holds down condensation. And yes, I have one in my safe and they are worth the money, but if you have high humidity in your safe's location, you need a true dehumidifier.

Calling any of the heating-element damp chasers a dehumidifier is advertising hubris.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The electric refrigeration dehumidifier do work. They require emptying every few days (or plumbing a drain line in). I would recommend one if you live somewhere with high humidity (the south) or if your safe is in a damp basement. They remove A LOT of moisture from the air. They use a lot of energy and usually break after only a year or two.

The silica gen desiccants work well, but require periodic recharging in the oven. The more damp it is, the more often they need to be recharged. You can get big 2 pound bags of them for free at piano galleries. They use them when they ship pianos from Asia...

The golden rod is just a simple heating element that prevents the safe temp from dropping to low so the moisture does not condense. You can use a light bulb or anything of the sort (make sure it doesn't burn out). It uses some electricity and is fairly reliable.

Properly cleaning and lubricating your firearms will greatly reduce the risk or rust as well. Using CLP is one of the best rust prevention methods...

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Both my safes are inside airconditioned space with silica gel packets inside...no problems for years.:danceban::king:

·
Banned
2 Posts
I'm sorry that I resurrect the old topic, but it's just that I myself once encountered this issue, and spent a lot of time to find really useful information, I hope that in the future it will be useful to someone
My safe is in the Basement. I have a goldenrod in it from when I got the safe. I have three of the metal cans (750gm) of desiccant and four of the box (450gm) style.
Safe is 72X32X28. I have to recharge all my desiccant containers about every 3 months. That's about when the blue is mostly gone and starting to turn pink.
Every one of my ammo cans has a 40gm can of desiccant in it. I have never recharged them. The Goldenrod Dehumidifier like this https://secretstorages.com/best-gun-safe-dehumidifier-reviews/ is the thing, to keep a consistent temp.
The problem with a garage-based safe is, you have variable humidity/temp. levels, when you open the safe unless you wait for a warm, low humidity day to open it. Humidity in the air, will enter the safe, and be trapped in there when you close it again.
Therefore, it's still best to have a few of those plug-in dehumidifiers; a couple in the safe, and a couple of "blue charged up" ones, ready to go, to exchange for the others when you open the safe.
You can also get a battery operated humidity reader, that your magnet to the safe, and put the other part in the safe.It will read outside humidity, and inside humidity. There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube, I will leave here one of them, as many
often have similar questions

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use a little older safe with no electrical wiring. I have two of the little plug in rechargeable units that change color when they need charged, which is about every 10 days - 2 weeks for my conditions. Having dessicant that never gets recharged does nothing for you. I would certainly invest in the nicest one you can, even if others think it won't be of good use. Always keep stored firearms well oiled and I store them in the little silicone sacks as well.

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Many (many) years ago when I bought my first house, I couldn't afford much of anything, and I put my 2 long guns in the attic of my garage. All was well through the summer and fall, but come spring, I had rust damage. Even in the dry desert climate of Southern California, it pays to have some controls in place for humidity. I was lucky because I was watching fairly closely, but had I not, the guns would likely have been severely damaged. If at all possible, keep them in a controlled space, and use desiccant, a heating rod, or a dehumidifier, depending on your climate. You will save yourself grief.

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts