Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Rural & <Not yet aged 22 or older>

Votes: 4 1.8%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about the demographics of this board.

Specifically what type of area did you grow up in predominately (age 0 to 21), also what type of area do you live in currently (today right now).

As following the standards used by multiple state and federal agencies as related to location demographics, there are just two location types; Metropolitan and Rural.

Other types such as 'suburbs' and 'suburban' and 'exburb' as well as 'inner city' as though there is an outer city are not relevant to this threads purpose and application.
Those terms are better suited to describing specific real estate districts as within a region.

Definitions of Metropolitan and Rural are at the following; http://www.nal.usda.gov/ric/ricpubs/what_is_rural.shtml

Choices:
Metropolitan & Metropolitan
Rural & Rural
Metropolitan & Rural
Rural & Metropolitan
Metropolitan & <Not yet aged 22 or older>
Rural & <Not yet aged 22 or older>

If as growing up (age 0 to 21 yrs) you happened to have moved a lot and/or traveled as for any given reason (military, divorced parents, schooling, whatever) then answer to the first part of this question as based on the majority type of areas you resided within.

- Janq is Metropolitan & Rural

Note: This poll is not person specific, no request for such private information is requested to be specifically shared as a posting and this exercise is for entertainment purposes only as per my own curiosity.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I voted Metropolitan & Metropolitan, however, it only takes a few minutes of driving to be in a rural area around here.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Not sure what to check: Metropolitan and rural till 24. Suburban for the last 43 years.

It was the rural part of my upbringing where I learned about guns and shooting.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Metro & Rural.

I grew up outside of Detroit, spent the better part of 5 years between SanDiego and LA, then 3.5 years outside of Philly.

Now there's a grain elevator behind my house and corn fields all around...

Ahhh peaceful tranquility. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Initially, this poll didn't make any sense to me. After reading it over 3-4 times I now get it.
Regards, :confused:
Dan

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Rural-Rural. Grew up on a farm in Ohio and lived there for a good part of my life and that was very rural for Ohio. Then moved to Wyoming and found out what rural really was. Went to the big town of Casper (50,000) yesterday, couldn't wait to get out of all that traffic.:tumbleweed:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I grew up in South East Dallas (Pleasant Grove) and hung around downtown a lot and surrounding areas. I now live in McKinney, 120,000 people, but had to drive through corn fields to get to my house up until a year ago.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what to check: Metropolitan and rural till 24. Suburban for the last 43 years.

It was the rural part of my upbringing where I learned about guns and shooting.
Hopyard,

As a demographic type 'Suburban' is a subset of Metropolitan, it is not it's own type.

As to having grown up in both metro and rural locations select the choice that is to the majority as by location type. Not that of your own mentality or what you might have preferred. Just that to which you were located in to a majority as in 51% or greater.

No tax monies nor cute furry forest animals are in jeopardy by answering.
This is purely for my own curiosity, and I think it might be better telling toward the realitys of the boards membership.

Thanks for your participation!

- Janq

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Rural-Rural. Grew up on a farm in Ohio and lived there for a good part of my life and that was very rural for Ohio. Then moved to Wyoming and found out what rural really was. Went to the big town of Casper (50,000) yesterday, couldn't wait to get out of all that traffic.:tumbleweed:
Side bar:
Say Jeff,
I have one of the very first Galco posters of your avatar. It's still new in the shipping tube. I presume you have one too?
Dan

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Metro and Metro for me. I spent a lot of time in rural areas growing up, never really had my residence there though.

But I'm still a young pup, and planning on moving to much more rural areas when I finally buy my own place.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
From 0 to age 21 I grew up in rural (accd. to your provided link) south Louisiana. At twenty one I started seeing the U.S. and the world in the Navy.....although right now I'm stationed in a rural county.

Rural-rural.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Grew up in one of the most sparsely populated counties in Alabama, moved to a city with a pop. of 50,000 when I was 9 and now live in a town with less than 5000 people in it

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wyoming is WONDERFULLY rural! Wish I was still there!

For now I'm rural-metro, but one day will be able to vote rural-rural again. I'm getting out of the rat race as soon as it's feasible.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
well, isn't it nice to have the (sarcasm) nice clear distinct definition of the two terms,
even according to the online resources, of course they're gov't run so imagine that

I grew up in Metro (150,000) til high school then lived in a town of 3600, this was in the vast wide open desert of West Texas, I would not consider that as metro...there was only 2 towns of 50,000 or more within 200 miles, 30 miles in each direction to another town

went to college and now live in metro (almost 200,000)

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Initially, this poll didn't make any sense to me. After reading it over 3-4 times I now get it.
Regards, :confused:
Dan
Me too... confused, but I think I understand.

Anyway, I grew up in New York City, definitely metropolitan, and I now live in the Catskill Mountain Mid-Hudson Valley area, definitely rural.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Rural-Rural.

Grew up on the South side of Lake Okeechobee/ been here all my life, now on the north side.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Used to live in a semi-rural area for about 15 years; I built the house with the intention of it being a SHTF setup because we were outside the city limits.

Unfortunately, Sweetie Pie threw a monkey wrench into the situation and now we are city slickers once again.....

·
Registered
358 Posts
I grew up in very rural from 0-21 and now I'd say say my current residence is definitely metropolitan.:thumbsdown:

Hoping to be outta here come March, and back to the forest.:hand2:

Been here for 2 years and I'm starting to get very annoyed with it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Reading the three government definitions gave me a headache. Not only were there three "main" definitions, there were another 29 or so added "minor" definitions. No wonder our government is so gridlocked.

Checking out some of the sources, it looks like I'm in an urban/metropolitan area (even though there are woods and fields out the back door). My childhood home is now firmly urban/metropolitan but it was more likely rural while growing up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts