1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
She can get back to me when her and her colleagues aren't A.) causing more deaths through their own errors on an astronomically higher rate than all deaths due to a firearm and B.) when they start getting an actual handle on how many psychotics they're creating with what appears to be an unchecked overmedicating of an entire segment of our society.

I'll wait but I'm not holding my breath...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Funny all these ER docs fail to mention that 95% of gunshot wounds treated are from gang bangers and criminals, free of charge by the way. Any ER docs here care to dispute that? Of course more gun restrictions will stop that, just look at how well the existing ones are working. Can't argue with success eh doctor?

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
There are an estimated 4000 deaths per year from crashes caused by drivers distracted by cell phones. Three quarters of them are teenagers.

Wouldn't these 'experts' save a lot more lives by calling for a ban on cell phones while driving?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny all these ER docs fail to mention that 95% of gunshot wounds treated are from gang bangers and criminals, free of charge by the way. Any ER docs here care to dispute that? Of course more gun restrictions will stop that, just look at how well the existing ones are working. Can't argue with success eh doctor?
They also conveniently ignore all the deaths and injuries that a person being armed has prevented, often without a shot ever being fired.

·
Super Moderator
19,243 Posts
Consider all the injuries and deaths caused by drunk drivers, far more than those cause by accidental or criminal misuse of firearms. Why aren't these same doctors going after AAA and the automakers?

Likewise, what law prevents a convicted DUI driver from owning a whole fleet of vehicles? Does anyone confiscate automobiles because they think an owner might be a risk to himself or others?

The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Excellent rebuttal from physician and gun writer Dr. Will Dabbs here:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/thisismylane-battle-nra-physicians/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20181116_FridayDigest_200&utm_campaign=/digest/thisismylane-battle-nra-physicians/

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
That was an ill-advised statement by the NRA, IMO. Too easy to eviscerate on rebuttal.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I cleaned a deer once. So I’m basically a surgeon.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
OK, I am putting on my helmet and flack jacket on because I think I am about to undergo a barrage.

The Docs’ opinions are based upon their professional mission. As stated in the web article they see part of their work as being trying to stop injuries from occurrring regardless of the method of injury. Now let’s be understanding of that fact. If doctors did not care about causes there would not be a polio vaccine and many other preventive medicines. So the Docs had every right to express their opinions and findings, just as we do and the NRA did.

The problem here is the NRA once again used the tactic of inciting its base by rejecting the Docs paper and chastising them for butting into something the NRA decided was not the Docs business. There are those who believe that the way to deal with disagreement is to intimidate, isolate, denigarate, etc, just like th NRA does. My view and method are different. I gain nothing but an enemy if I reject them out of hand and tell them they do not know what they are talking about, and also that they have no business talking about it. The NRA’s polarization of gun foes only strengthens the foes. The Docs and the AMA are not going away. They have big bucks too. In fact if they team up with insurers who pay the bills for the surgeries and treatments from gun wounds they can crush the NRA. It is about time for the NRA to understand the process of dispute resolution and engage it it. If it ever does that, I will become a life memes instead of a non member.

Ok, I am headed for the bunker.

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
OK, I am putting on my helmet and flack jacket on because I think I am about to undergo a barrage.

The Docs’ opinions are based upon their professional mission. As stated in the web article they see part of their work as being trying to stop injuries from occurrring regardless of the method of injury. Now let’s be understanding of that fact. If doctors did not care about causes there would not be a polio vaccine and many other preventive medicines. So the Docs had every right to express their opinions and findings, just as we do and the NRA did.

The problem here is the NRA once again used the tactic of inciting its base by rejecting the Docs paper and chastising them for butting into something the NRA decided was not the Docs business. There are those who believe that the way to deal with disagreement is to intimidate, isolate, denigarate, etc, just like th NRA does. My view and method are different. I gain nothing but an enemy if I reject them out of hand and tell them they do not know what they are talking about, and also that they have no business talking about it. The NRA’s polarization of gun foes only strengthens the foes. The Docs and the AMA are not going away. They have big bucks too. In fact if they team up with insurers who pay the bills for the surgeries and treatments from gun wounds they can crush the NRA. It is about time for the NRA to understand the process of dispute resolution and engage it it. If it ever does that, I will become a life memes instead of a non member.

No need to hunker down on my account. I'm right there with you on this one.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
7,872 Posts

The problem with their point of view, is that it doesn’t differentiate between me shooting the bad guy, and the bad guy shooting me. It does differentiate between me being shot to death, and me being hit in the face with a baseball bat, but not the fact that I’m dead either way. Only that there wasn’t a bullet being taken from my body, so they view it as a win.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
The problem with their point of view, is that it doesn’t differentiate between me shooting the bad guy, and the bad guy shooting me. It does differentiate between me being shot to death, and me being hit in the face with a baseball bat, but not the fact that I’m dead either way. Only that there wasn’t a bullet being taken from my body, so they view it as a win.
Thank you Havok, you made my exact point by a perfect example. I agree with you analysis of the deficiency of Docs’ position. Ithere is no way I could agree with you more as Imhit 100%. You made my point by presenting a deficiency in the Doc’s report. That is what the NRA should have done. But instead it chose to reject without clarification and belittle the Docs for their point of view. Thanks Havoc.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
That was an ill-advised statement by the NRA, IMO. Too easy to eviscerate on rebuttal.
Unless you've had a loved one nearly killed by a careless physician making a mistake prescribing two post-op medications that would have interacted and killed my dad. We only caught it because my wife was in the ICU and thought something wasn't right. She brought it to the attention of the nurse, ICU supervisor, and Supervisor of Nursing for the hospital.

I am fairly certain that the doctor who responded claiming "that is our lane" might have been inebriated and doesn't really know whether she's in the right lane or the oncoming one - and probably doesn't care either way.

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
Unless you've had a loved one nearly killed by a careless physician making a mistake prescribing two post-op medications that would have interacted and killed my dad. We only caught it because my wife was in the ICU and thought something wasn't right. She brought it to the attention of the nurse, ICU supervisor, and Supervisor of Nursing for the hospital.

I am fairly certain that the doctor who responded claiming "that is our lane" might have been inebriated and doesn't really know whether she's in the right lane or the oncoming one - and probably doesn't care either way.
Medical mistakes kill people. People with guns kill people. One reality doesn't invalidate the other.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts

Sorry brother...you're gonna need the bunker. Even if everything you said is true, wouldn't it make sense to go after the biggie killers first?

Number of deaths for leading causes of death in the United States (2017) from the CDC:

Heart disease: 635,260.
Cancer: 598,038.
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 161,374.
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 154,596.
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 142,142.
Alzheimer's disease: 116,103.
Diabetes: 80,058.
Influenza and pneumonia: 51,537.
Here is the raw data (from 2016) if you have trouble sleeping:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr67/nvsr67_06.pdf

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
@OldChap,

Yes,, it makes perfect sense to go after the major killers of,out population, and that is exactly what has been going on for decades. My wife was given 5 years to live after her second breast cancer whe she was 40 years old. She had four more bouts of cancer until the last one in 2002. She died in 2016 from a stroke.

We have been attacking all major diseases decades. Remember when AIDS was a death sentence? It is not so now. If you have an empirical evidence to sunstantiatd your position I would be gratified to see it so I could be educated better. You see I do not seek data to justify my leanings. I seek data to learn and adjust my leanings.

More people are killed and injured in vehicular accidents ever year than by guns. If we take suicides out of the tally on gun deaths the death stays drop by ⅔. You are introducing bad apples to condemn bad oranges. They do not compare.

Reactions: OldChap
1 - 20 of 70 Posts