Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From MY hometown: "Good on Em" .. Two Florence County Sheriff Department deputies receive Medal of Valor | SCNow

Two Florence County Sheriff Department deputies receive Medal of Valor
Advertisement

Text size: small | medium | large

From local reports
Published: September 18, 2009

Two Florence County Sheriff Department Deputies were honored by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Association at its annual Convention in Myrtle Beach on Sept. 16, according to a press release. Lt. Jason P. Dore and Investigator Brad S. McDowell received the Association’s highest award for bravery in the line of duty, the Medal of Valor.

The award was based on the Aug. 4, 2008 hostage rescue by Florence County Sheriff’s Office Swat Unit on Boling Road near Pamplico. Earlier that morning, a 13-year-old child was taken hostage by a subject who demanded that the child’s mother be brought to the home, or the child would be killed. After about three hours of negotiations, the situation began to deteriorate and specific threats to kill the child were made by the subject. At that time, after the use of noise and flash devices to distract the subject, Dore and McDowell were ordered by the SWAT unit commander to make entry into the home. Upon entering the dwelling, the subject was found holding the child beside him and made further life threatening movements toward the hostage.

After refusing orders to the release the hostage, Dore and McDowell simultaneously discharged their weapons, mortally wounding the subject, but saving the life of the 13-year-old, who was rescued without harm.

The Medal of Valor is awarded by SCLEOA to officers who demonstrate outstanding bravery performed in the line of duty and disregard of personal consequences. The award was presented to Dore and McDowell by Sheriff Kenney Boone. “Because of their heroic actions, at great risk of personal harm to themselves, a child’s life was saved, and a mother was able to hug that child again. This is yet another example of the selfless dedication that our deputies have for the people of Florence County,” Sheriff Kenney Boone said. “Jason and Brad would tell you they were just doing their duty, but in our eyes, they are heroes.”

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
:congrats: Dore and McDowell

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Big time congratulations to the two Deputies! :congrats:

·
Administrator
143,686 Posts
Good thread First Sgt.
They deserved that Medal of Valor. :yup:

Moved to Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We need more recognition of the job our LEOs do. everytime they walk out the door there's a bullseye on their backs, but they still go and do a necessary and mostly thankless job.

I'm glad these officers got that recognition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Job well done! I'm grateful for the men and women in uniform who go above and beyond.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
:congrats: We need to remember when we say that the SCOTUS ruled that LEO's are not duty bound to protect our lives. It's a very rare case when they do not do just that when able.

Kudos to these lawmen.:hand10:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Nice shootin', fellas! Bet that was a pucker factor off the scale!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am going to have to disagree on the medal.They were doing their job period and I am glad to officers agree.It is what they train for and what we pay them to do. Nothing they did is not in their job description. They did a good job but what they did is what SWAT is trained to do.Was it dangerous yes but again it was in line with their job duties.Medals are supposed to be awarded for actions above beyond the call of duty this wasn't above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion and devalues all Medals of Valor.I am grateful and thankful for their service but don't consider what they did worth a medal.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Nice shooting, saved taxpayer dollars, rescued the child...pretty good day's work.:congrats::congrats:

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
“Jason and Brad would tell you they were just doing their duty, but in our eyes, they are heroes.”

Two thumbs up!!

Yes AND No, Chiller2 SEE Rottkeepers comment above

WASHINGTON DID'NT USE HIS FREEDOM OF SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
:congrats: We need to remember when we say that the SCOTUS ruled that LEO's are not duty bound to protect our lives. It's a very rare case when they do not do just that when able.

Kudos to these lawmen.:hand10:
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely.

What the courts are saying is that one can't sue LEOs for failing at the impossible task of protecting everyone, all the time -- and that one has the obligation to protect oneself.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I for one think its great to hear.

I truly hate, I mean hate to hear of cases where LEO and soldiers have to die to receive a prestigious medal..

I know of many LEO and Soldiers that have done heroic actions and lived, and were never even considered for a medal..

I for one think they should give more medals for heroic actions...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I for one think its great to hear.

I truly hate, I mean hate to hear of cases where LEO and soldiers have to die to receive a prestigious medal..

I know of many LEO and Soldiers that have done heroic actions and lived, and were never even considered for a medal..

I for one think they should give more medals for heroic actions...
I guess on how you determine heroic. If your job is to run into a burning building or catch criminals then why do you get a medal for doing your job?Now if your job is to clean buildings or landscaping and you put out a building fire or stop a criminal then yeah give them a medal because they went above and beyond their job and training.
Giving people a medal for doing there jobs devalues the medal.
A solders job is to carry out his mission.Sometimes his mission requires him to get shot at or even shot and/or killed but if you give every solder who gets killed the Medal of Honor you devalue that medal and dishonor the people who have won it in the past

·
Registered
4 Posts
first of all i would like to say that I am glad everything worked out for the officers and I would like to congradulate them. Without having been there or in the situtation I would argue that we cannot say weather or not they merit the medal. With that being said, I do have some food for thought. The whole time I was reading the article it seemed to me like they got lucky. I mean, imagine if they had missed and hit the hostage. We would be reading a very different article indeed. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I mean, imagine if they had missed and hit the hostage. We would be reading a very different article indeed. Just something to think about.
As we said in the USMC, valor or bravery is not the lack of fear. It's doing the right thing in the face of fear. Its doing what is required, when required, without hesitation or loss of control.

It comes from comes from knowing what you can do and doing what you know, well.

In today's litigious world, one of the risk to these LEOs was the risk of a miss and all its ramifications.

Not many men have the skill and the will to enter a hostage situation and take the shot -- to do what is required.

IMHO these two and many who don't get the recolonization they deserve define valor.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
As we said in the USMC, valor or bravery is not the lack of fear. It's doing the right thing in the face of fear. Its doing what is required, when required, without hesitation or loss of control.

It comes from comes from knowing what you can do and doing what you know, well.

In today's litigious world, one of the risk to these LEOs was the risk of a miss and all its ramifications.

Not many men have the skill and the will to enter a hostage situation and take the shot -- to do what is required.

IMHO these two and many who don't get the recolonization they deserve define valor.
Well said, and for the other officers and soldiers seeing their comrades rewarded gives them a sense of pride and something to aspire to be.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
How about they just give them some Marksmen Badges,the average cop could not have made those shots without hitting the hostage,and I have witnessed many LEO qualify over the years

1 - 20 of 24 Posts