Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
So if they improperly terminated him, was he brought back so that they could properly terminate him?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think he is a POS, but even a POS is entitled to due process. Employment is a type of contract. If you don't abide by the contract, then there may be negative consequences. I sincerely doubt this is a constitutional issue, however. I could be wrong, but I don't recall wrongful termination being in the constitution or covered by the constitution as a result of case law.

The parents of the dead and surviving kids and the kids that survived should be livid that not only was the shooting wrongfully handled, but so too was the termination.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If I was a parent of one of the slain children, I'd only be mad at the person who decided he was going to grab a gun and kill innocent people. That's where all the blame belongs.

As far as the officer is concerned, if he was terminated unjustly, he deserves back pay and to have his job back. I'm not going to Monday Night Quarterback because I wasn't there. I don't know what training he had or what he was told to do in that situation... Was he supposed to call and wait for backup instead of running into an unknown situation at that time all alone? We don't know if he would have been amongst the dead or if he would have saved lives or not.. Plus, he was under no legal obligation to go into the building as has already been ruled on in court...

·
Premium Member
33,744 Posts
If I was a taxpayer in Broward County, I would want to know why cops are paid so much.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I was a parent of one of the slain children, I'd only be mad at the person who decided he was going to grab a gun and kill innocent people. That's where all the blame belongs.

As far as the officer is concerned, if he was terminated unjustly, he deserves back pay and to have his job back. I'm not going to Monday Night Quarterback because I wasn't there. I don't know what training he had or what he was told to do in that situation... Was he supposed to call and wait for backup instead of running into an unknown situation at that time all alone? We don't know if he would have been amongst the dead or if he would have saved lives or not.. Plus, he was under no legal obligation to go into the building as has already been ruled on in court...
No legal obligation, just a moral obligation. I could not live with myself if I allowed children to be slaughtered while I stood around, even if I was ordered to do so.
No job is worth losing my soul for.
PS -My shame if I did what he did would prevent me from fighting for my job and back pay, I would just slide under a rock somewhere

·
Registered
487 Posts
Getting reinstated with full rank and full back pay.
Says he did not get his proper due process.
What do y'all think?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/sheriffs-deputy-fired-over-parkland-school-shooting-to-be-reinstated-reports
Listen I don't want to judge someone's actions post-facto, because no one knows how they'd behave in the same crisis. But for all it's worth, when we were worried about Ebola in NYC (and eventually did get a few patients) I volunteered for the damn Ebola team. When this COVID-19 initially started, I volunteered for the team when we thought it was just going to be a few isolated cases. Is it as much risk as getting shot at by a crazy kid? No. But for whatever it's worth, I knew the risks when I took my oath, and I'll keep on walking into that room whether it's flu, COVID or freaking Ebola... because that's my job. And I would like to believe that if heaven forbid I'm armed and there's a maniac shooting kids 30 seconds away that I'd pull up my panties and get to work.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Aren't unions great.

I wonder if they can re-fire him with all of the red tape? Back date a suspension without pay until the proper due process can be met, IAW the employment contract.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The only opinion I have that would be appropriate to express here is this: What I think is that he is more suited for another line of work - maybe "tasting pies" or something of that nature.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
What this is really about is his pension. If he was fired with cause he looses all or a large part of his retirement. He was not fighting for just a couple of years of his salary, this is the rest of his life. This was why right after the shooting he resigned, the sheriff said he couldn't and fired him. This is still the sheriff's doing!

If he were in CA, he would also be applying for a Disability Retirement. It shields that portion that he is considered Disabled from being taken from him in a law suit. If he is found 75% disabled, 75% of his retirement is shielded. That is what kept the Goldman and Brown family's from taking OJ Simpson's Retirement!

Most likely his lawyers drug this out as long as possible in hopes more people would have forgotten and moved on. Broward County has a new sheriff, a new administration, and they are probably eager to put the old behind them and move on. If he is re instated he will show up and turn in his retirement papers. DR

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
  • If they could not create due process with the videos and witness statements, there is something very wrong.
  • If he was not legally required to go in the building, there is something very wrong and I have to wonder why his position was even needed.
  • If he makes that much money, and will get all that back pay, he will be semi-wealthy for being a coward. That is something very wrong.
  • If he is the kind of person who can live with himself and show his face in public, there is something very wrong.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I think one-hundred thirty seven grand a year is a lot of money for a deputy sheriff position.
It's the old scam that many gov't jobs pull, during the last 3 years before retirement, those individuals get first pick of any overtime so they can run their annual salaries up for a beefy pension. There are officers in the Denver PD who make $200K-$300K / yr in their last 3 years. Any wonder the pension funds are in trouble?

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
I’ll not judge.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don't know the labor laws and procedures in place. So I cannot comment on what was done wrong. Bad administrators make decisions that make these situations a reality. Firing was a political statement, and allowing the resignation and I have long wondered if anything would come of it. I also do not know what firing provisions the union has as well. Must not be some morality clause.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just think of all those in our Congress who will and have collected pensions. They pass their own laws to increase and protect them. Then the people just keep on electing them.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
he did not get his "due process" and did nothing while 17 people died on his watch. This takes real kahunas to act like the victim in this case. He sounds like a real peach of a guy.

Reactions: DZUS

·
Registered
339 Posts
When we were trained on Active Shooter situations we were taught that we did not wait.....we entered and dealt with the threat. He got what he deserved IMHO!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
No legal obligation, just a moral obligation. I could not live with myself if I allowed children to be slaughtered while I stood around, even if I was ordered to do so.
No job is worth losing my soul for.
PS -My shame if I did what he did would prevent me from fighting for my job and back pay, I would just slide under a rock somewhere
Yes, I have no (NO) idea how the SRO and enabling sheriff from that horrific Parkland event somehow live with themselves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts