Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In certain situations I can see how these would come into play. The Bond Arms 357 Magnum 2 Round Derringer is such a fun fun to shoot. Recoil is nothing as I have tried it with 38 Special, 38 +P and 357 Magnum with 125gr and 158gr bullets, respectively.

I carry my North American Arms a lot, as a backup gun or for discrete carry alongside a Sig Sauer P365.

What are your thoughts or approach to these novelties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fairly certain with the NAA is better for you to carry some round noses in it instead of hollow points, because a .22 out of a pistol wont get any expansion at all. Nice guns however, I heard of someone using a NAA as a "swimsuit gun" because it was stainless steel and they didn't worry about it getting wet, but that seems a little too far fetched for me.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,822 Posts
I have always wanted a derringer, but have never justified one for carry. My pocket-carry is a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine which is about the same size and weight as a derringer. I own an NAA-22M which I carry in my sweat pants in the winter or my swim trunks/shorts in the summer until I shower and get dressed. It doesn't pull my pants down and there are other guns available around the house. I occasionally carry the NAA-22M for deep cover when the Sig P938 is too large.

I am comfortable when I am carrying a 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. I am uncomfortable carrying just the Sig P938 9mm and even more so carrying just the NAA-22M outside the house. I am a go big or stay home guy.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
The only time I ever even considered spending any money on a derringer was when I did Cowboy Action Shooting matches. They had an event for "vest pocket guns" and it was understood that meant a derringer. I have never considered one for carry - even as a third string backup to the backup.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,822 Posts
My guns go from big to little. Alexander Arms AR-15 in .50 Beowulf and NAA-22M.

Big-Little.JPG

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
The only derringer I would carry or hold out like that would be a Hi stander derringer way lighter and slimer and DAO no need to cock

I really really dont like the Bond arms guns had owned a lot of them and sold them pretty quick ..Heavy bulky nasty recoil just not fun .

The NAA stuff is ok but you are only getting a few shoots and a pain to reload unless you get on the pricy break top models ..I rather have a semi auto like a 1908 or baby browing

Edit to add if the bond arms were made DAO no safty just a heavy trigger I would love them ..The idea of a last ditch gun that require you to cock the hammer and push a safty bar is silly imop ..Why I like the hi stander guns slim sleek no safty no mess just pull and fire

Why a lot of leos back in the 70-80 carried them as back up could have them in a jacket pocket or what have you and be talking to somone it goes wrong they can just pull the trigger bang bang there you go

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
They are obsolete guns that are novelties.

Nothing against them, but I would not rely on them for a self defense weapon. Unless they were my only choice. Which they aren't.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
An NAA Mini has been my most frequently carried weapon over the past 20 years.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Whether or not some people dislike them, they have a place for others.
I do like the NAA minis and have carried them in the past.

Reactions: Texron and CDRGlock

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I prefer my LCP. It is very light, compact, and easy to conceal with better firepower for it's size. I find the mini-revolvers & derringers awkward to operate under stress. Just my .02 worth!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Better options that weigh less, have more rounds, and are easier to CC.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Better options that weigh less, have more rounds, and are easier to CC.
You found something that weighs less than 4.5 ounces?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I have always wanted both a Bond Arms and a NAA. Not really any use for either but I would likely carry the Bond Arms sometimes. I think both are just really neat firearms that I would enjoy owning. Only two rounds on that Bond Arms but I bet the 45 Colt model looks intimidating pointed at you.

·
Super Moderator
18,330 Posts
I don't really much go for the J-Frame I'm toting this evening as a back-up to the .45 Colt Government Model. I would really feel that I was "flappin' in th' breeze" to be reduced to gunfighting with a tiny .22 revolver Have played with others' .22 mini revolvers for big fun on plinking afternoons, but just haven't taken them seriously.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts