Defensive Carry banner

Derringers And Other Ultra Compacts

4K views 46 replies 37 participants last post by  Petroleum 1 
#1 ·
No one has ever said we cannot carry at work. However, if I carried and anyone found out, it would spread like wildfire and someone would complain. I need to find something to carry that no one can detect on a daily basis. My work attire is dress shoes, dockers, shirt and tie. When it snows, I have to wear hiking boots. I'm 6'1" and 185 so not a lot of body fat. I'm thinking I need something small enough to go in my dockers front pocket or ankle carry. Even though I sit at a desk a lot, I'm also very active. It is nothing for me to hit 25 thousand steps in one day on my Fitbit.

No one at my work carries or plans for any type of situation. If something were to happen they would all be sheep. Even though I have my knife, I want to carry some type of undetectable firearm.

Suggestions please. Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
My 2 cents, for what it's worth, is that you're better off with a small semi-auto. You don't give up much in terms of size and you get more firepower. I know a lot of folks like the little derringers, but I'd rather have 5 or 6 rounds of 380 than 2 rounds of 22 magnum.

You might consider an ankle holster or IWB holster with an untucked shirt.

#22 ·
Thank you. The semi is the way I'm leaning right now but no way I can have an untucked shirt.

#7 ·
You didn't mention if you're an experienced handgunner? The smaller the handgun, the more difficult it is to shoot effectively ('cuz only HITS count). IMHO, folks get sucked-in to a completely delusional sense of security by simply BEING "armed". And, respectfully, it sounds like you're more concerned about the societal implications of being "outed" than about the ability to defend yourself against an assault. Get a j-frame, buy a good pocket holster and practice, practice...PRACTICE!

#23 ·
You can read stuff in a post that was never written. You must possess some kind of telepathy, read between the line, magical interpretation capabilities. Or, your just plain wrong. I'd bet on the just plain wrong.

#8 ·
To me a S&W Bodyguard or a NAA Companion would be ideal for pocket carry. Like the OP, The smaller the better when I'm at work in dress pants. It would be a lot more comfortable and any other time it would just be used as a secondary.

Reactions: luckydog
#10 ·
Howdy!

I always have a NAA Pug 22 mag with folding grip in my pocket. I also have several 380's Kel Tec, Walther, NAA and Glock. Out of all them the Kel Tec is the easiest to conceal and carry and very light weight. I would opt to carry both the NAA Pug which goes in my pocket always and the 380 Kel Tec, never hurts to have a backup, and it's true the "quickest reload is your secondary or backup". You can even find neck holster for the NAA online now days, don't own one but another way to conceal it.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

#11 ·
Go with a micro pistol like an LCP, Bodyguard, Pico etc over a derringer. Higher ammo capacity, easier reloads and all very concealable.

No one will ever know if you have an LCP in your pocket unless you're doing an absolutely horrible job concealing.

#12 ·
A small 380 (LCP, P3AT) HOLD 6+1 OR 7+1 rounds vs. a two shot derringer.

I carry a single stack 9MM Glock 43 everyday in my jeans front pants pocket. Before that I had a Kahr PM9 with Crimson Trace Laserguard I pocket carried.

People that know I carry ask where I have it, because it does not show.

Get a pocket 9 or 380.

#15 ·
A small 380 (LCP, P3AT) HOLD 6+1 OR 7+1 rounds vs. a two shot derringer.

I carry a single stack 9MM Glock 43 everyday in my jeans front pants pocket. Before that I had a Kahr PM9 with Crimson Trace Laserguard I pocket carried.

People that know I carry ask where I have it, because it does not show.

Get a pocket 9 or 380.

Not arguing but what brand jeans. The Wranglers I have on have a 6" deep front pocket and the G43 is 6.26" long. I had looked at and discounted a 43 because of this issue.
Second the pocket 9mm.

#13 ·
I have an old American Derringer in .357 that disappears in a pocket. But it's like holding on to a stick of TNT shooting
357s in it. So I load it with 38 spl. If I had something of that size that had more capacity I'd probably recommend it but
the derringer is a good option if the only other one is a stapler from your desk.

#14 ·
I had a PF-9 that was very easy to carry in a pocket holster. It was reliable but.....the recoil was painful for me! (I have RA.) I think you are getting some sound advice from some of the other members here that are recommending a compact .380 like the Bodyguard, LCP, P3-AT, and even the Glock 42. You WILL need to practice regularly though, to be proficient with a compact .380! The compact .380's tend to be unforgiving if limp-wristed. Good luck!

#16 ·
p3at for sure ..Very easy to hide

The NAA are very good guns ..But single action only and unless you get the pricy models you really only get 5 or 6 shots before its out of action to reload ...Good last ditch or I have no other options guns but I would not carry one as a bug even

#21 ·
I went by Sportsmans tonight and held the LCP, the Bodygaurd and a Small .380 Browning. I tried them all in my front pockest. It doesn't seem realistic to try and have one of those in my front pocket all day long. I'm going to have to check out an ankle holster. The Derringers don't do it for me. It's not like I need to be in a hurry. I want to make a good decision. This gun won't be shot much at all and should last longer than I will.

I wonder if they make a wallet holster for the LCP?

#30 ·
I went by Sportsmans tonight and held the LCP, the Bodygaurd and a Small .380 Browning. I tried them all in my front pockest. It doesn't seem realistic to try and have one of those in my front pocket all day long. I'm going to have to check out an ankle holster. The Derringers don't do it for me. It's not like I need to be in a hurry. I want to make a good decision. This gun won't be shot much at all and should last longer than I will.
This is what I ultimately did. For deep concealment I have a Kahr CW380. I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for it as well as a Galco Ankle Lite holster. With the pants I wear to work, the pocket holster does not work well. While you can't tell what is in my front pocket, you can tell I have something large in it. This may prompt questions from coworkers. So my choice was to carry an ultra small gun in the pocket (like the NAA .22 mini revolver), or my compact .380 in an ankle holster. I opted for the ankle holster. If you choose an ankle holster you need to practice getting your gun out of it, and realize its limitations.

#24 ·
Kel-Tec PF9. I pocket carry everyday. Even with shorts that have short pockets absolutely no printing. I do recommend practice time. As with any small semi auto it dose have some recoil and can be subject to limp wristing. I don't find the recoil bad and I have had surgery on both wrists along with arthritics. The right one was tendon repair and the left was shattered in about a dozen places lots of plates and screws. I am not a big fan of 380's with so many small 9mm's out there. Then there is always a wheel gun. A derringer would definitely be my very last resort. It can be hard enough to hit your target in a stress filled situation. Let alone a strategicly placed 22 with only 1 shot to spare. As with a 2 shot 22 derringer.

#26 ·
Luckydog Your lack of concealed carry experience does not let you know at this point how you can carry and whats not practical for work . Dropping a 10oz pistol in a pocket with out a proper holster for it tells you nothing . A well fit pocket holster and a flat sides pistol smooths out any pocket lines and holds a pistol upright in a controlled manner BUT pocket carry is not fast to draw sitting or driving . Forget the wallet holsters ! Leather rubs slide and pistol may not function properly and proper grip control is limited at best . IF your still into horse play with the boys its time to stop if your going to carry . Cheer the others on but if your going to carry a handgun it might be time to step back from game time . There's nothing cut an dried about how to carry . Each one of use have find what works for us and our life style . If your on your feet all day pocket carry works well . If your sitting at a desk or driving most of the day your just going to have to find what works for you and pocket carry may not be on that list .

Heres a chart that gives some comparisons to most small handguns .
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B22...MtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm/edit?hl=en_US&pref=2&pli=1

You have a shield , Good iwb sized pistol so invest in a couple holster designs and find out what works for you and at least you can decide if you need a smaller micro pistol for pocket carry . Look at something like thunderwear , smart carry or 3 speed for inside the pants wear may be better for you than a more traditional iwb design or pocket carry . Cheaper than a small 380 too .

#28 ·
The Ruger LCR is a really light weight pocket gun, works for me.

Reactions: luckydog
#31 ·
Sounds kind of like maybe you work at a car dealership? 25k steps per day? Snow shoes when it snows? So you must be outside a lot.

No matter. I suggest the Ruger LCP Custom. It's the one with the red colored skeletonized trigger. My SIL has one. My Son has the straight up LCP without the "Custom". The custom is better. Very light, very easy to hide in a pocket holster. No heavier than say a dozen keys and a pocket knife. It's a .380acp. I live here in the People's Republik so I can't buy one (until we move to NV in the next 12-18 months. In the meantime, I just bought a Sig p238. Also a 380. Light but a little heavier and larger than an LCP. More accurate IMHO. I bought mine to carry on trail runs. I bought a belly band to carry it, and I am highly impressed with the combo. Note that if you can bear an ounce or two more, you van have a p938 in 9mm with the same capacity as the 238. I have a 938, in the Equinox finish...just to pretty to carry around as a running gun. I would have gotten a second 938 with a Hogue grip instead of the 238, but Kalifornia has outlawed them for whatever reason, so I went with what I count get. So far, I'm really happy with the choice, but would have been even happier with the LCP Custom for my runs, due to the weight advantage.

#32 ·
I can't carry at work but i carry a lot in my pockets and not once has anyone asked me what was in them. A keltec3AT and a light nylon holster works well. I just don't like having to stand up to get the gun out. Maybe slanted pockets would make it possibly to get at the pocket carry without standing up. Ankle carry can get very annoying if you walk a lot. And is very noticeable when seated in a office. There is that 3 in 1 holster which might be easier to get at when seated compared to a pocket holster but I haven't tried it. The huggers can be an issue. Ive been caught by them but it wasn't a problem where i was at. Good luck and repost if you figure out something that works well for you.

#35 ·
Thanks Lucky, those are some of the unmentioned details that help our answers be more applicable. I personally HATE tiny guns because I've TRIED (with questionable success) to shoot them well. IMHO, It's a razor-thin line (uniquely different to each shooter) between effective (yet controllable) ammo in concealable (yet manageable) packages. Sounds like your well-checked out. Surprised you haven't previously experimented with deep-cover alternatives. Hope you find that "sweet spot" compromise that best suits your situation. Lots of us have tried...and settled on pocketed J-frames. Yet opinions are like belly buttons, we've all got one and they're ALL full of lint. :yup:

Reactions: Pete63
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.