Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shopping for an OWB holster for my S&W Model 60, I had a chance to wear and try out a Desantis style #002 Speed Scabbard.

I noticed that the leather is very thin & supple, which gives me concern for its long-term durability. The mouth of the holster is not reinforced and collapses after the weapon is drawn, making one handed reholstering nearly impossible.

On the plus side, the thin leather construction does make for a flat, very concealable holster, but again, there's that collapsing problem. That was the main reason I passed up this rig.

This is not a knock on all DeSantis holsters by any means, just that this particular model doesn't work for me. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Seems like just about leather company makes a very thin leather holster that is the same way. There are probably alot of people that go for thin and lightweight and disregard the collapsing problem. I am not real crazy about collapsing holster mouths but would go for concealability, comfort and ease of draw before ruling one out because the mouth collapsed. Maybe practice with it a bit and see if you can discover an easy way to holster / re-holster.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I will say that desantis does seem to be a bit soft for one hand reholstering but that just makes it all the more easyer to conceal and comfortable espically if its IWB.

I know everyone seems to owrry about one hand reholstering but i think once the shooting gets going and the adrenalin dump happens i dont care what kind of holster ya use good luck trying to get the gun in it with one hand

·
Registered
521 Posts
YEAH!!
hafta agree! once the shooting starts that gun aint going back anyway.
i think 1 handed holstering is overrated anyway.
once its in there there is no reason for it to come back out. except as in my state, ohio, ya hafta move it to "visible" when in a vehicle then reholster it to hidden when ya get out. but how often does it comne outta that hoster?
comfort, concealability, and ease of draw ar e the imprtant factors. mainly getting it out in a hurry not getting it back in in a hurry.

my thoughts.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Since everybody SHOULD practice their draw & weapon presentation A LOT with whatever rig they choose to carry their firearm in...problems reholstering are very bothersome when you are practicing speed drawing & reholstering 50 times in a row.
That is my only beef with holster designs that it's difficult to get your firearm BACK into.
Just my 2 beans.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I used a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB for a S&WM36 for a few years. Once you got the hang of reholstering it's easy. I consider it one of my best holsters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same holster in question for a SA XD40 and don't have a problem with reholstering with one hand.Yes , the mouth closes slightly , but as I'm reholstering, I hold the pistol with a more butt-foreward angle and sort of roll it into the holster.Great rig that is very comfortable and hides very easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts