Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with the DeSantis Kingston Car Seat Holster?

I am looking for a car holster, this one has the apparent versatility of being capable of also being able to be carried IWB/OWB. From what I can see it is their Pro Stealth model with straps which attach to the driver seat.

http://www.desantisholster.com/n92.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bud White said:
Course that could be a little touchy getting pulled over

True but with a CCW license the problem with the law probably becomes a mute point. What I like about it is that it keeps the gun at the ready and the holster is also a IWB/OWB ambidextrious.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Pretty cool. I wonder if I could thread the holster strap under a seat cover with just the holster (and pistol) protruding.....

Do any other manufacturers make similar holsters?

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Hmmm... I need a pic of the holster with a driver to satisfy my legal curiosity. Some states will not allow open carry even with a CCW.

·
Registered
791 Posts
RCS2 said:
True but with a CCW license the problem with the law probably becomes a mute point. What I like about it is that it keeps the gun at the ready and the holster is also a IWB/OWB ambidextrious.
Right now in Ohio your gun needs to either be locked or on your person and in plain sight. Unfortunately this wouldn't work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I recently ordered this looking for an alternative carry for the car and am waiting for it to arrive. I like that it makes your gun somewhat concealed while being very accessible. Though the web site picture seems intentionally incomplete, it does appear that you have to sit on the strap that holds the holster in place.

I have seat covers and intend to run the strap under the cover while cutting a hole in the front of the cover to attach the holster to the strap. I may put some padding under the seat cover as well. That should cut down on the discomfort factor. I figure the worst case scenario is that I can't live with sitting on the strap for long periods. In that case I'll scrap its intended use and the nylon holster and mag carrier will be used to put the gun in the glove compartment, center console, or in a backpack if I'm out and about.

I'll report back shortly on my findings.

·
Registered
729 Posts
DeSantis also sells a fixture for the holster that allows you to mount it to the side of your console or under the dash. I believe it's a metal mounting bracket.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A good IWB Holster with a 30% cant should be readily assessible even while driving, and even with a seat belt on...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think that can be better

I have been trying to figure out how to make a holster for the car for some time. I have made a few that work really well, but they are for car models that have individual seats in the front with consoles between.

I will see if I can make another one and get some pictures. All of mine, so far, have been custom ordered.

Does anyone have any ideas they would like tested. If I can incorporate them into my holster design, you will be sure to get a prototype to try out.
:aargh4:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Id like to see something as being a lefty I'm screwed if i wear cross draw its under the seatbelt and on my left him i have to try to clear door .. Im always interested in something new

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just get a XD OEM holster & screw it under the dash or where ever. I put one of mine in my pick up & it works:yup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had the holster for about a month now.

Though I was concerned about sitting on the strap being uncomfortable, that has not been the case. Sitting on it is hardly noticeable. Once I put it under a seat cover I can't tell it's there. No extra padding is necessary.

I generally carry OWB/IWB in the car or in a backpack on the passenger seat. I bought the Kingston for long distance trips. Unfortunately I have not been able to take any car trips of significant distance to places where I am allowed to carry. Nonetheless, I have driven to Mexico while sitting on the strap. Based on that trip and other in-town driving, I think this rig is an excellent alternative to sitting on your gun for long distances.

The rig is set up so that a Pro Stealth holster is attached to the front of the seat with velcro and elastic. Support of the weapon is adequate but not great. The removable Pro Stealth with no cant is hardly a comfortable IWB, but will do the trick for shorter periods of a few hours or less. Since it is nylon, it makes for a very versatile holster that I don't have to worry about scratching. If it gets uncomfortable, I simply put it in a backpack or briefcase.

All in all, this fit a hole in my holster collection. If long distance driving is something you do often, it gets my recommendation.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Whitestone - Could you take and post a picture of your setup? I am considering ordering one, but the photo on DeSantis' website is not very clear.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Whitestone, I'd agree with caguetis. Could you post a picture in an actual vehicle? Something closer with the weapon in.

I have Sparco-designed seats in my car that tend to be a snug fit, so I was curious how the gun might fit into that or the straps may be bothersome....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts