Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very content to carry my Kimber K6S revolver, and had found a comfortable pocket Holster to tote it around. In light of the current situation, and with the distinct possibility of it getting worse, I have reverted back to my Glock 26, with a G19 Magazine giving it a 16 rd capacity. Desperate Times call for Desperate Measures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Who is desperate? Has crime suddenly risen? Home invasions? Car jackings?

I will never question what anyone carries. But I'm wondering what exactly precipitated a higher round count suddenly being in order. At least in my area most people are self isolating and there's no blood running in the streets yet.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I will never question what anyone carries. But I'm wondering what exactly precipitated a higher round count suddenly being in order. At least in my area most people are self isolating and there's no blood running in the streets yet.
My reasoning is simple. As Businesses Close and Workers are let go some of these individuals out of necessity will find it necessary to forage for what they need. I live in a Rural area surrounded by woods. Although I feel sorry for anyone placed into that situation, I cannot let them kick in my door and have them help themselves to what I have. Also the Lives of my family are most important to me. I might sound like a Fool to you, but I feel much more comfortable being prepared for the worst. Time will tell

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts

+2 here. Nobody's running around killing folks for toilet paper in these parts. My carry habits haven't changed (yet, anyway).

·
Registered
18,298 Posts

+3, I’m just not feeling it to anywhere near that degree.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts

It probably depends on your zip code. Things are pretty calm in my neck of the woods but I'd feel a whole lot less secure in some coastal snake pit. Either way, to not be adequately armed would be simply irresponsible.

·
Registered
966 Posts
OP - I get it. Especially living where you are living. Depending on how long this lasts before we flatten the curve and things begin returning to normal, you don't know what folks will do if they get desperate for food, water, other essentials. I'm also a bit concerned that some of our youth will begin ganging up and wandering the areas with nothing to do but prove their machismo to each other … which can lead to stupid choices.

One troubling bit of news (fake? who knows?) is that Detroit has lost 140 police officers due to the virus. If our LEOs are taken off the streets, then things can break down in a hurry. If we should lose our workers at power plants and other utilities, then is when things can get very bad. Should we lose cell service and internet access, then I'm totally out of my comfort zone.

Believe me, I am more of a Pollyanna than most folks, but I've been forced to consider some pretty dark scenarios, just in the last few days.

Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

Like the old Boy Scout in so many of us: Be Prepared!

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
It probably depends on your zip code. Things are pretty calm in my neck of the woods but I'd feel a whole lot less secure in some coastal snake pit. Either way, to not be adequately armed would be simply irresponsible.
True dat. I made the decision not to live in any city or even close to one long ago and passed on the financial benefits of doing so. That many people all cramped in together has always made me nervous.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. With more states issuing "Stay-at-home" orders, businesses are shutting their doors. Many people live paycheck-to-paycheck. What will happen when the checkbook is empty and no income is expected?

For that matter, I don't see the criminal element truly taking "time-off", especially as THEIR cupboards run bare, or they need their next fix.

I live in a pretty rural area, and we've already seen out-of-county license plates stopping at our local rural grocery store to buy stuff.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Update: I searched Detroit police and found an article saying 152 officers had been quarantined and five were found to be infected. If such a thing happens to more LE agencies, then is when the criminal element will be emboldened.

I agree that living in a rural area offers some solace, especially if you are on good terms with nearby neighbors. Although we live in a planned community with new houses going up nearby, I pondered the idea a couple weeks ago of ordering a 4-pack of walkie-talkies for some of the men in our neighborhood. My wife pooh-poohed the idea and I relented. Now I'm wondering if that might still be a good idea...

·
Registered
Various
15,511 Posts
We have lived in our house for over sixteen years. There was one or two car prowls in unlocked vehicles over that time. It was probably kids since they took some change and some CDs.

Two mornings ago, our next door neighbor had his truck broke into and the guy took camping equipment and tools. Our and the other neighbor's motion detector cameras caught him, but he knew where the cameras are so no face videos.

Last night, the neighbors on the other side of us caught a guy trying to break in their side garage door. I got video of him riding his bicycle by our house. The neighbor grabbed his gun and chased him through their back yard. The guy escaped over the back fence and disappeared, but he left his bicycle out front. I have motion detector video of the police driving by about every half-hour last night. We are pretty sure both incidents are the same guy.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I would say being "adequately armed" is a 24x7x365 requirement. But what is adequate to one might be inadequate to others. Were the environment to become much more threatening I'd increase my carry load and make more of my firearms locked and loaded for home defense. I just don't think we are there yet (where I live), but I'm not discounting it won't get to that point. I certainly wouldn't discount the idea of looting in some places, particular inner cities that seem to take any opportunity to do so, with or without a pandemic.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Carry whatever concealable gun you own that you would prefer in hand if you had to defend yourself, location nor amount of daylight should factor.
If you want ___ in a "bad" area, it makes no sense to settle for "less" in a "good" area.
Carry whatever the "bad" area merits everywhere, in case it comes to you.

The only exception would be when carrying in a non-permissive environment, like work, otherwise see above.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hmmm.
How did the "greatest generation" raising the "greatest generation" behave during the Great Depression and the Influenza Pandemic and "The War to End all Wars" ?

Orson Wells broadcast of "The War of the Worlds" comes to mind. Only an invasion from outer space could panic Americans at one time.

Now all that has to happen is for the media to say "Boo" every year.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I live in a pretty rural area, and we've already seen out-of-county license plates stopping at our local rural grocery store to buy stuff.
Our town is only about 15-20 minutes from a large metro area, we have seen a lot of these plates at our 2 local grocery stores, in the last week or so too. Also have had several attempted break ins out in the county, we still have quite a few empty houses due to last years flooding, but luckily the people who have moved back in are pretty vigilant about watching their neighbors properties, several individuals have already been caught and luckily only a few have gotten away with anything.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with your choice not withstanding any new circumstances. I'd rather have more than less---any day of the week !!! There is NO right or wrong answer here, ONLY what your comfort level is !! If someone chooses to carry a 2 shot derringer---I could care less. A Glock 17 with 5 reloads I say WHOA.....but more power to ya !!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are about 100,000 where I live. I went out for some bread and prescriptions yesterday afternoon and the local WalMart looked like it was having a closing sale. Empty shelves everywhere.

My daughter was telling me that on the news an elderly lady kept having people take things out of her shopping cart in the store and in the parking lot. She finally had someone help her shop. You can look at the bright side and should, but there is definitely also a very dark side that is growing and spreading all around us.

So far, I'm still content with my 3" Bulldog .44 special loaded hot.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts