Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in my favorite gunstore yesterday, and saw one of these in the display case:

I've seen .45's with a full size grip and shortened slide, but never saw a full size slide and reduced grip :confused:

Darn thing looks like it would conceal like a dream...has anybody handled or fired one?

http://www.detonicsusa.com/streetmaster.html

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Rick - that looks more like one of my photoshop efforts LOL!!

Oh and too - where is a halfways decent beavertail too!

·
Administrator
143,964 Posts
I've shot & owned the early (way back when) chopped Detonics. Same frame grip length but with the shorter chopped slide.
They are are not bad to shoot at all. Nice carry handgun.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P95Carry said:
Rick - that looks more like one of my photoshop efforts LOL!!
I definitely did a double-take when I saw it on the shelf!

Euc's impression was my first thought as well...it looks unbalanced and unwieldy.

QK, did you have a hard time hanging on to it under recoil?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Euclidean said:
I'm contemplating that thing trying to wiggle out of my awkward 3 finger grip as I fire it.
Might have to invent a "pinky-lanyard" :rofl:

·
Administrator
143,964 Posts
Detonics Recoil

No no problem at all.
I shoot a lot of .45 though & I'm not very recoil sensitive.
Easier than a chopped Glock G36 to shoot.
You would not have any problems with it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Weird looking pistolo. Bet it would be fun to shoot though. If you ever had any problems with it, you could always use the slide as a club handle and beat the crap out of your attacker! :danceban:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Somebody will get taken by the shop because they will tell them that it is made for CCW. That thing may have all kinds of problems, due to the fact it will be hard to get a decent grip on it. "Jam City" Hey, but it looks cool..

·
Registered
950 Posts
1200 bucks for that thing.....:danceban: :hand5: :spankme: :buttkick: Whatever,.....

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
its one of the pistols on my possibilitys list for my next outright purchace ( can go with my origional detonics combat master ( blued ) that my wife took over for ccw lol

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe the price tag on the one at Green Mountain Guns was around $850...I will take a closer look next time.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I hope the QC is better on these than on the 9-11-01 I ordered and refused delivery on...
I'd like to have a Seattle Combat Master....

·
Banned
318 Posts
For my next 1911 build I'm thinking Officer's Model size frame w/Commander slide.

But that thing looks awkward and unbalanced.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Euclidean said:
I'm contemplating that thing trying to wiggle out of my awkward 3 finger grip as I fire it.
Euclidean - I have one of the new CombatMasters with the same grip frame, and I had the same concern. No problems, though - it's quite controllable. Now, I haven't experienced the grip with a full-sized slide, which I'm sure will change things, but whether it will do so in a negative way, I don't know.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I went to Green Mountain Guns today to pick up my Rem 870's (pics to be posted later :yup: ) and while waiting for the 4473 to clear, I handled the StreetMaster.... bleh :hand1:

Poor balance...very top heavy, and the grip is way too short for the full length slide. I have average size hands, and my little finger was dangling off into space. And Chris, you were right on target about the lack of beavertail...this pistol would be a web-eater in a fast draw! Plus, I missed by a mile on the price estimate...tag was $959 :hypnotized:

So, overall impression: glad I handled it, but no thanks! :dead:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
To be honest Rick - having seen that pic - I'd not even entertain it. And that's without even pickin one up!!

I actually cannot (as yet) understand the design rationale behind it :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts