Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question earlier, and the lack of response makes me concerned that there is something bogus about a slide coating called "diamond like carbon." It seems that some distributors sell particular guns with this supposedly harder-and-longer-lasting-than-normal coating. The Ruger SR9c in question is $70 more with the DLC coating.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373404477.923751.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373404525.059099.jpg

I talked with two tech persons at Ruger this afternoon in order to get some hard info on DLC, but one didn't know much about it and the other said it is only cosmetic.

Does anyone here know anything about it? The LGS seller told me that if I like I can exchange it for the stainless model and he would refund the $70 difference.

Thanks for wading through the meandering of mine.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
632 Posts
gimmick me thinks, just another option, maybe ruger is trying to copy sig with the million different combinations per pistol.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Exchange it for stainless. Duracoat the slide black if you don't like 2 tone. Finish wears, mild steel rusts. Stainless doesn't.

I ALWAYS take the stainless option if there is one.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Never heard of it. Sounds like a gimmick to get the newbie to shell out more money for something .

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
diamond like carbon? diamond IS carbon.sounds like a gimmick :rolleyes: to sucker you into paying more for something that comes as standard on other guns.

·
Administrator
143,727 Posts
There are some pretty incredible surface coatings out there these days that are amazingly tough.

Titanium NITRIDE IS ONE. Hardide is another fairly new one which is Tungsten Carbide based and is 9 times harder than hardened steel.

So it's possible that it's not a gimmick. I have just never heard of this one.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Come on, doesn't anybody check wikipedia ?

"Applications of DLC typically utilize the ability of the material to reduce abrasive wear. Tooling components, such as endmills, drill bits, dies and molds often use DLC in this manner. DLC is also used in the engines of modern supersport motorcycles, Formula 1 racecars, NASCAR vehicles, and as a coating on hard-disk platters and hard-disk read heads to protect against head crashes. Virtually all of the multi-bladed razors used for wet shaving have the edges coated with hydrogen-free DLC to reduce friction, preventing abrasion of sensitive skin. It is also being used as a coating by some weapon manufacturers/custom gunsmiths. Some forms have been certified in the EU for food service and find extensive uses in the high-speed actions involved in processing novelty foods such as "chips" and in guiding material flows in packaging foodstuffs with plastic wraps. DLC coats the cutting edges of tools for the high-speed, dry shaping of difficult exposed surfaces of wood and aluminium, for example on automobile dashboards."

Sounds like more than a gimmick to me. It seems there are different forms of diamond-like carbon, but if it's comparable to a coating used for high-speed dry cutting of aluminum, it's sure to hold up better than a standard finish.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Digging around a little more, it looks like DLC coatings have hardness in the range of 10-30 GPa, compared to a Tennifer coating being around 7 or 8 GPa.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
You know what I learned after 42 years of shooting? Most gun owners do not benefit from all these high priced fancy coating. The gun either sits in a drawer or in a holster. Few take any training classes or put their guns to hard use. Many get these fancy coatings for reasons other than durability. Heck, most people I know, me included, do not even keep their guns long enough for them to show wear in the original coatings. After 4 decades I can say that I do not own a gun that shows signs of wear so I just go with the already durable finishes on most mid priced and up guns. However if your lifestyle involves using your gun in harsh conditions, drawing and reholstering it a lot each day, then you may benefit. I once bought a gun that had been Durakoted. It chipped off in two spots. What a waste.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Diamond like carbon coating: would you pay more?
If the scientific proof could convince me, perhaps. But not simply because someone claims it's so.

And, even then, a few hundred hours' worth of salt spray and related testing won't show what it'll be like in 10yrs of hard use, no matter how much salt they use. The tests show what the tests show, but, good as they are, they don't show combinations of usage/abrasion/fluids/chemicals damage that applies to all potential buyers.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
You know what I learned after 42 years of shooting? Most gun owners do not benefit from all these high priced fancy coating. The gun either sits in a drawer or in a holster. Few take any training classes or put their guns to hard use. Many get these fancy coatings for reasons other than durability. Heck, most people I know, me included, do not even keep their guns long enough for them to show wear in the original coatings. After 4 decades I can say that I do not own a gun that shows signs of wear so I just go with the already durable finishes on most mid priced and up guns. However if your lifestyle involves using your gun in harsh conditions, drawing and reholstering it a lot each day, then you may benefit. I once bought a gun that had been Durakoted. It chipped off in two spots. What a waste.
A good point. Even if the DLC is more durable than a normal finish (which it probably is), it may not have any practical benefit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's kind of what got me wondering, the lack of hard and fast evidence. Some folks, it seems, spend $200 or more for this process, at least that's what I'm finding online. I would never do that. I looked at the guns together and like the looks of the black DLC one better. However, looks alone isn't worth $70 to me.

As for buying and selling, I'm not really into that. I still have the Remington 1100 which I bought in the early '70s and a .38 Spl snubbie I bought in the early '80s. ;)

The seller is a stand up guy, though. Evidently he's convinced of the value of the DLC. He didn't hesitate to offer for me to return it and he would sell me the stainless and credit the difference. Stainless is $399, which is a fine price.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I have never been a fan of stainless or bright guns. The only gun I have that isn't totally subdued is a two tone Colt Combat Elite with blued slide and stainless frame. I purchased that knowing it would eventually be customized and a new finish applied. Stainless, all stainless steel will rust if not lubricated and cared for, it just takes longer than high carbon steels. I am a fan of dark guns; go for the DLC Coating.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
That extra $70 is for the different engraving making it a TALO Exclusive rather than the different finish.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That extra $70 is for the different engraving making it a TALO Exclusive rather than the different finish.
I wish the seller had told me that, but at least he's willing to make it right. I'll buy from him again.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I owned a S&W 340 M&P revolver with DLC coating.....
It was extremely durable and was super easy to clean.....showed zero signs of holster wear, after hard use and practice.

Don't know if Ruger's coating is a true DLC, but Smith has it right!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, for better or worse, the final transaction is done. The LGS swapped out the DLC SR9c for the stainless version. I was going to wait to add an LCP, but given that the store had graciously offered the swap and followed through with it, I went ahead and bought an LCP, too. $399 for the SR9c and $299 for the LCP, plus sales tax, and all seems to be well.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any .380 ammo. :smile: Oh well, I'll find some somewhere.

I appreciate everyone's input.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts