Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my LGS a while back and he had a DB9 for $219. I have read a lot of varied reviews of the DB9, but for $219 I figured I would gamble.

I took it home and my worst fears were realized, it was a complete jam-o-matic. I could rarely shoot a 6 round mag w/o a failure to extract.

So, I boxed it up sent it to DiamondBack and forgot about it.

Almost 8 weeks later it was returned with a note that both guide rod springs were replaced and the barrel was "adjusted". I took the gun apart and the guide rod spring design appeared to be different and the barrel was not fluffed and buffed, it appeared that somebody ground the heck out of it and significantly altered the feed ramp.

In any event, since then I have fired 100 flawless rounds. I'm going to keep shooting and when I get to 200 if everything continues to work well I will start carrying this gun.

The size and weight make it a very attractive 9mm package if I can rely on it.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Sounds risky , even if they ground off some metal on the feed ramp.:gah:

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I was at my LGS a while back and he had a DB9 for $219. I have read a lot of varied reviews of the DB9, but for $219 I figured I would gamble.

I took it home and my worst fears were realized, it was a complete jam-o-matic. I could rarely shoot a 6 round mag w/o a failure to extract.

So, I boxed it up sent it to DiamondBack and forgot about it.

Almost 8 weeks later it was returned with a note that both guide rod springs were replaced and the barrel was "adjusted". I took the gun apart and the guide rod spring design appeared to be different and the barrel was not fluffed and buffed, it appeared that somebody ground the heck out of it and significantly altered the feed ramp.

In any event, since then I have fired 100 flawless rounds. I'm going to keep shooting and when I get to 200 if everything continues to work well I will start carrying this gun.

The size and weight make it a very attractive 9mm package if I can rely on it.
The one I purchased last year and sold it a couple of weeks thereafter. It was also jam-o-matic. Wasn't worth my time to send it back. I rather carry a 380 that doesn't kick like a mule (the recoil on my DB9 left me with a sore hand after a few shots), and that doesn't have issues out the box. Plus spear mags were had to find anywhere and I searched everywhere.

I'm interested in whether they fixed yours or not. If they did, I wonder why they continue to sell a flawed design when they have a fix. Did DB pay for shipping there and back? Did they ship it to your home or FFL?

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Problem is that the service life of a DB9 may have expired once you go past 200 rounds.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have 250 rounds (blazer brass fmj, federal 124gr hst and 20 hornady 115gr critical defense ) thru mine with zero problems it goes bang every pull. Doing some reading it was said the gun likes the blazer brass so I bought it and its feeding perfect.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I wont touch them

I had a 380 and the pins walked out on me

As a cheep last ditch gun maybe but a carry gun no

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I certainly wouldn't stake my life on one.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I've seen too many bad reviews to buy one. The salesman at a LGS that sells them even said no way. With an opinion like that it makes you wonder why they stock them.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have one and I have it working. I went to Pocket Guns and Gear and did the fix they advised. Varoom HST feeds and fires all the time. I use this as my Back

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am pretty well convinced that a true pocket gun in 9mm does not exist (and I will qualify that statement to mean, none that are more affordable than the Sig 938). I have certainly played with every brand I could get my hands on and none really work in most pockets. The DB9 would except that I worry about reliability. Not saying none of them are reliable but it is a hell of a gamble. And I do not consider the CM9 or G43 a pocket gun, both are too large for about 75% of front pockets. I think I see an LCP custom in my future to fit the pocket gun bill....

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Considering the cm9 is 3/10's shorter and only 2/10ths taller and the same weight as a p038 sig I consider my CM9 kahr a best buy pocket 9mm . It has 2000 trouble free rounds fired from it so far . I will say it is as good as a small 9mm can be and in a good pocket holster carrys well in the front pocket of most normal pants . At least as well as the Sig p938 and no thumb safety needed .

We also have a tcp 380- wifes pistol and its a great little pistol too . For my average man hands I rather shoot and carry the little bit wider cm9 kahr

DB makes a great airboat . To bad they had to think they could build respectable weapons too .

·
Registered
356 Posts
I too had an early DB380. What a pos. Please do yourself a favor and go to the Diamondback forum. There are more problems than success stories on both the DB9 and DB380 threads. I'm with Hardluck1. I pocket carry my CM9 almost every day and agree that "it is as good as a small 9mm can be."

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I too had an early DB380. What a pos. Please do yourself a favor and go to the Diamondback forum. There are more problems than success stories on both the DB9 and DB380 threads. I'm with Hardluck1. I pocket carry my CM9 almost every day and agree that "it is as good as a small 9mm can be."
Agreed. The DB forum, which I am a member of and which is almost dead, is mostly filled with troubleshooting post and complaints.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have not carried my DB9 yet I still use my keltec PF9 for a pocket 9 or my LCR 327 but if it keeps shooting well at the range I will add it to the rotation. It is ammo picky so that is something to consider. I only feed mine blazer brass FMJ or federal hst 124gr hp. I have tried 25rounds hornady critical 115gr and they fed fine but maybe I have a good one?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec PF9. I got it in March 2016 it's now August and I've put between 600 and 800 flawless rounds through it ( I stopped keeping track after 500). I certainly would not want to bet my life on a weapon that's already had major issues and been sent back to the factory after only putting 100 or 200 rounds through. Oh ya did I mention that I paid $279 for my Kel-Tec and it has a great rep, its accurate is hell for a pocket gun, and has a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
692 Posts
DB9... sent back to them 3 times, and its still a piece a junk and jams... I wouldn't be mean enough to even give the thing away. It seems to shoot ok if you hold it so hard you lose blood circulation in your hands and your arms are shaking and the plastic feels like its going to crack. Any movement at all and jams. How can they repair it 3 times and it never gets any better... I think they just held it for 8+ weeks each time and sent it back and never did anything. Back and forth with them over half a year and its still junk... means I'll definitely never by a Diamondback anything. They have outsourced support with Taurus, which is a step up... which is sad since Taurus isn't all that great either.

·
Registered
979 Posts
While think the DB9 is the perfect size it is also junk. I decided to gamble myself and bought one. Not only did it jam but the trigger fails to release the firing pin at least once or twice on every mag of ammo. I leave it on top of my safe in hopes that someone will steal it.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I need a firearm, we say, upon which my life depends, hopefully, under $220 bucks. :wink:

I'm prepared to gamble on...(boy, howdy!)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec PF9. I got it in March 2016 it's now August and I've put between 600 and 800 flawless rounds through it ( I stopped keeping track after 500). I certainly would not want to bet my life on a weapon that's already had major issues and been sent back to the factory after only putting 100 or 200 rounds through. Oh ya did I mention that I paid $279 for my Kel-Tec and it has a great rep, its accurate is hell for a pocket gun, and has a lifetime guarantee.
You got a good deal on your PF9. I bought my PF9 used it was only one month old the guy had all the original receipts I guess he needed some rent money or what ever but it has been flawless. I put a ct laser on it. The gun is accurate without the laser but it's bullseye city now. The last time I took it to the range the guy in the next lane poked his head in and said...you need to buy smaller targets bruh.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
DB9... sent back to them 3 times, and its still a piece a junk and jams... I wouldn't be mean enough to even give the thing away. It seems to shoot ok if you hold it so hard you lose blood circulation in your hands and your arms are shaking and the plastic feels like its going to crack. Any movement at all and jams. How can they repair it 3 times and it never gets any better... I think they just held it for 8+ weeks each time and sent it back and never did anything. Back and forth with them over half a year and its still junk... means I'll definitely never by a Diamondback anything. They have outsourced support with Taurus, which is a step up... which is sad since Taurus isn't all that great either.
I put the grip extension on the mag. It really helped as the grip is very small.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts