Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started EDCing my CZ P01 compact which is 16 + 1 with a 16 round reload for a total of 33 rounds. I love how well it fits my small hands which also allows me to manipulate all the controls without adjusting my grip. However, I recently dug out my Kahr K40 (I have the K9 also), and was reminded and pleasantly surprised how well it fit my hand as well. It actually fells better in hand than the P01 believe it or not. Kind of has me thinking about replacing the CZ, but I would be carrying less than half the amount of rounds I have been carrying...

I'm just wondering, how many of you have downgraded so to speak to EDC with 7 or less capacity? If so, what did you switch to/from and why?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Well, my J-frame is downward from my G19. My BHP is upward from my J-frame. My 1911 is downward from my BHP. My G34 is upward from my BHP. Etc. ^, etc. v, etc. ^, etc. v. So, no, I haven't downgraded. And now, to further complicate the equation, I'm considering...a pair of J-frames as my EDC. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Nope.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I normally carry a glock 27 with 10 rounds of 40 caliber. Sometimes I carry an SP101 with 5 rounds of hot, 357 magnum. This weekend I carried a P3AT. I was backpacking and the straps of the backpack interfere with IWB holsters I use and make them uncomfortable so I just put the 380 in my pocket. My daughter and I were walking across a flat, brushy segment of the trail and I looked to my left and there was a black bear sleeping under a tree about 50 feet off to the side of the trail. At that point I decided I need to figure out a way to carry something a little bigger than a 380. I'm mostly concerned about rabid raccoons or coyotes, but the 357 would fill all those squares and still be viable defense against a black bear.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I upgraded from having no EDC to a lower capacity EDC this year. This winter, when it finally comes, I'll be "downgrading" to an SP101 (just need to find an IWB holster I like for my 3"). Going from 7+1 to 5.

Reasons?

The biggest one is because I can. Since I can hide my SP101 a lot better with a jacket, I figure why not. I don't live in an area where a shootout is likely to happen and it'll be nice when I come home and go out in the woods, as I won't have to switch guns. While I'm not 100% behind my logic on this, I do think that a .357 is more likely to penetrate all the layers people wear up here than my .40. I'm not against carrying my .40 in winter and if it calls for it I will, but it gives me an excuse to fondle my .357 more often.

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
Sure. I started carrying a Glock 17, then a Glock 26, then a Glock 36, now a Colt Government 1911, an XSE. Locations change, life changes, preferences changes, I am adaptable, even though I rarely change. I am oxymoronic. :rofl:

The first change was just to carry a smaller load more concealable, the second was the desire to carry a larger caliber, the third was because I wanted a 1911.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I actually "downgraded" pistols and increased capacity.

Went from a Les Baer "Stinger" (CCO) .45ACP 7+1 that I carried for 6 years or so, to a Walther PPQ-9 M1 with 15+1.

Now my primary carry is an HK P2000 in 357Sig, 12+1 and when I can't carry that it's a Walther PPS. For me it's not a question of capacity so much as it is pistol size. I prefer a mid-sized compact in polymer, just so happens that the majority of them are doublstacks. Would feel perfectly comfortable with 7 or 8 +1, but since the only time too much ammo is a bad thing is when swimming or humping a long ways, I might as well load the mags to capacity.....

Chuck

·
Registered
862 Posts
As a LEO I carried a full sized Sig 9 mm. I carried my Glock 19 off duty. After I retired I picked up a KelTec P3AT for pocket carry. When they strarted making pocket 9mm I first purchased a Kahr PM9 until the Glock 43 came out. I now carry it in my right front pocket everywhere I go (legally).

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Went from a 5 shot j frame snubby to a 6 shot L frame snubby to a Glock 15+1 Glock 19 and now back down to a 6+1 .380 G42 because of arthritis/body problems. You do what is right for you.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
sure did, I went from 13 to 7... I aint worried about it. The smaller and lighter it is, the easier it is to decide to carry it. I don't want to carry less than a 9mm but I will certainly carry a 19oz 9mm pistol more often than a 9mm that weighs 2.2 pounds. 7 rounds will have to do and if it wont.. I can still run a 9 minute mile. Well, 9 min 59 seconds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's funny I have decided that the G 43 is my best every day carry. I don't even know it's there. And I figure if I don't get it done with eight rounds I need to go back to the range . However, I have a G 19 and a desert baby eagle, and it looks like I'm going to be adding a 45 compact small Sig , but only because I've become obsessed. I also just before the election purchased a AR15 which I haven't picked up yet .....oh boy, so many guns I like, and so little money....:gah:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
These days it is a 3" SP101 OWB when I can wear an outer layer and IWB when I can't. That is about 70% of the time with 20% being just an LCP in the pocket (7+1) and a 10 round spare mag and the other 10% of the times its both. I started out carrying a 5 shot 38 special (16 years) so I guess I have not wandered too far.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I have a subcompact in my rotation but I would never call it a downgrade. My lc9s is perfect for truly discreet carry. I use 7rnd mags with finger plates but if I want 8 and 9 rnd mags are available. During the warm months it is my edc. As the weather cools I switch to full frame guns...g19, vp9 etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
714 Posts
I went from a G19 to a G43 for EDC. I have TTI +1 base pads on my mags so I carry 7+1 and a 7rd. reload.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Started with Glock 19, Just got an LCP II

Let me start by saying I love love love my Glock 19.

My only problem with conceal carry has been that my body is a little small for this size of a gun.

After a month of trial and error carrying the Glock 19 and testing out different holsters, I've found that appendix carry is the most appropriate.

I've also found myself drooling over pocket pistols, reading every review, watching every youtube, and going to the local shops testing out all of the triggers and seeing how they each fit in a pocket as well as my hands.

I finally justified the 2nd gun after analyzing the last month of carrying, my risk levels, and identifying times I didn't carry but would have preferred to because the G19 is a little large for my person.

SO... I was torn between the Glock 42, Glock 43, Ruger LCP, LCP Custom, Body Guard, Shield, Kahr, NAA Minis, and others.

For me, the Ruger LCP II fits my lifestyle and schedule well enough to carry on most days, without sacrificing reliability or shoot-ability. The LCP II is much more comfortable, and comforting knowing it'll be with me any place the G19 is not.

As of today, I would definitely purchase the LCP II to compliment the G19 again.

And I'm still lusting after the NAA Mini .22lr, maybe it'll be my BUG for the LCP II in the future, who knows.

20161121_090106-1.jpg 20161121_090148-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 102 Posts