Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't post the link, but a study based on data collected by the CDC, showed that engineering and math was 9th in suicides. You can do a quick search and I'm sure the post will come up.

I thought even more surprising were the professions that had even higher suicide rates. :blink:

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
I quit being an engineer to become a lawyer.

Hmmm.....
One of my sons is a lawyer, the other, an engineer...

Reactions: PEF

·
Registered
34,001 Posts
Where do reloading engineers fall on the list?

I wonder if bourbon drinkers even made the list. Surely no bourbon-drinking reloaders--they're too busy doing one or the other to try out for the list.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Peddling underage girls to the powerful and connected can give ya the blues too apparently.

·
Super Moderator
19,243 Posts
I can believe it. There is incredible pressure to meet schedule in my business... I had to withdraw from a match I had entered for today and am headed into the office shortly to give up half my weekend.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
As a career technician/operator, I have cussed out so many engineers, both in person and under my breath (while fixing their engineering 'marvels') most of my adult life.
They are truly smart people but many times lack any common horse sense.

I can imagine the stress of job and deadlines, etc. can really drag someone down. My entire childhood was spent trying to figure out how to NEVER use math in my adult life I hated numbers so much.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Part of the problem is that management will often impose unrealistic schedules on engineering teams and some people burn out under the continual stress. Incompetent management also has a habit of imposing mis-features and poor engineering into products and that detracts from any sense of pride an engineer may get from the completion of a project.

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can believe it. There is incredible pressure to meet schedule in my business... I had to withdraw from a match I had entered for today and am headed into the office shortly to give up half my weekend.
Amen to that!

And not just tight schedules, also financial expectations, safety considerations, product lifetime expectations, environmental issues - there's more to it that one might think!

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Amen to that!

And not just tight schedules, also financial expectations, safety considerations, product lifetime expectations, environmental issues - there's more to it that one might think!
One of the most stressful things to me was the "new blood" engineers. The one's who thought they had all the answers right straight out of college. One new hire was touted by my boss as a 4.0 GPA wonder. My boss found out the hard way that book smarts and common sense don't necessarily go together.

There definitely were dead lines, budgets, EPA, UL/CSA, and does the product meet planned obsolescence. It must last 3~6 months longer than the warranty, but not longer, LOL! Actually, I had fun at times.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I won't post the link, but a study based on data collected by the CDC, showed that engineering and math was 9th in suicides. You can do a quick search and I'm sure the post will come up.

I thought even more surprising were the professions that had even higher suicide rates. :blink:
I was an engineer working on military contracts for 22 years. I'm not surprised. You're expected to do the impossible with no budget and and no time. Every time the Navy design committee met they changed the specifications.

·
Registered
Various
15,563 Posts
I retired from the military as a Warrant Officer technician. I then worked for different government agencies and corporations in different states. I went from technician to engineer to supervisor to manager to staff engineer project manager to early retirement. Then I was recruited to manage the service center, call center, and credit & collection departments of a corporation. Then I was a realtor. Then I sold a luxury brand of vehicles. Then I was recruited as a consultant for a law enforcement agency. I have retired six times so far. I never had time to think about suicide.

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love being an engineer!...
Me too!!!! :yup:

...Wonder what the cause is.
Some engineering jobs bring a lot of pressure, responsibility, and fear of failure. It's kinda funny, if we try to think of everything, we're overthinking. When something happens that was unpredictable - we should have thought of that.

And, engineers are often blamed for things they weren't responsible for. A perfect example is the million dollar space pen - who got the blame for the cost of the pen? Engineers. But who initiated the project? Businessmen. Who funded the project? Businessmen. Who set the specifications for the pen? Businessmen. Who hired engineers and technicians to develop the product? Businessmen. Who paid for the facilities, janitorial services, heating and air, test equipment, engineer and technician salaries? Businessmen.

What did the engineers and technicians do? They did the job they were specifically hired to do. So why does the engineer get the black eye for this and the businessman that initiated and paid for the project not catch the blame - if there is blame to be placed?

Reactions: ThirdShift

·
Premium Member
7,152 Posts
I was personnel manager for an electronics firm. I also wound up being liaison to the engineering department because it seems that, left to their own devices, engineers (EE particularly) will design a product forever and eight days, always attempting to get it perfect.

Sometimes you have to meet deadlines, and sometimes a young and fairly attractive (Yes, I was, way back then!) woman who comes from a whole family of engineers can speak the language well enough to get the product on the production line with no hurt feelings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts