Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to ARs and looking to buy 55 grain 5.56 ammo but what is the difference between FMJBT and MCBT? The FMJBT is $3 more per 20 rd box. What about MHP and polymer tip?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
FMJ = full metal jacket
MC = metal case
BT = boat tail

According to a description of Federal Lake City XM193 5.56x45mm ammo @ CheaperThanDirt, MCBT shows photos of fully jacketed bullets in the cartridges. If that's a true picture, then it would appear that "MC" doesn't refer to the case of the cartridge but instead is the equivalent to FMJ. (Am guessing.)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I believe metal case is the same as FMJ, just a different term by a different manufacturer. Is the MCBT remington, by any chance?

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I could be wrong but if the 'green tip' projectiles you're asking about...I was told 20+years ago the green tip is a teflon material to enable the round to go faster and travel farther into the target assuming you are not shooting paper.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
MC may also mean Molly Coated...

where accuracy is the issue, molly coating has followers
with dedicated re-loaders. and $3 additional fits in.

green tip from 20 years ago was Israeli ammo, 62 grains.
meant for twist 1/9 or 1/7. it was painted green. not a poly.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
...green tip from 20 years ago was Israeli ammo, 62 grains.
meant for twist 1/9 or 1/7. it was painted green. not a poly.
Green tip ammo from 20 years ago could have been either the RUAG DM11 made in Switzerland and Germany, OR the Belgian SS109, adopted by the U.S. as the M855. It contains a steel "penetrator" in the tip.

OP didn't say anything about a "green tip". He asked about "polymer tip" ammo. I'm guessing he was seeing Hornady TAP or V-Max, or one of the many polymer-tip varmint rounds from Federal, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, or others.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Green tip ammo from 20 years ago could have been either the RUAG DM11 made in Switzerland and Germany, OR the Belgian SS109, adopted by the U.S. as the M855. It contains a steel "penetrator" in the tip.

OP didn't say anything about a "green tip". He asked about "polymer tip" ammo. I'm guessing he was seeing Hornady TAP or V-Max, or one of the many polymer-tip varmint rounds from Federal, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, or others.
Claude clay wasn't responding to OP, his remark was in response to Noname.

And you're probably right that it was Hornady. Their poly-tip ammo is very popular.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I have some of the old Belgian SS109 as part of my SHTF stash. The green looks almost like it was done with a sharpie.
If you can find a picture of the "MC" rounds and the bullets are grey than I would say it means moly coated. I use moly coated BTHP when I load for my .308. If they look like typical gilding metal then I would guess it stands for metal case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts