Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have been very helpful on this site!

The 686-4 I now have is a dream.

I noticed that another local dealer has a S&W 686-3 for sale for $430 in NIB condition.

Are there any external differences between the 686-3 and 686-4?

What are the internal differences?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I think the main differences are they upgraded the sights from -3 to -4, they started coming with Hogue grips from the factory, and I think they changed the extractor. I also speculate the "-4" was the first generation of the seven capacity cylinders.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7 capacity

Euclidean said:
I think the main differences are they upgraded the sights from -3 to -4, they started coming with Hogue grips from the factory, and I think they changed the extractor. I also speculate the "-4" was the first generation of the seven capacity cylinders.

Mine -4 is 6 shot capacity

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ridge - let me re post a pic I did for Euc I think it was - data on the 586 and 686 models.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
That was scanned Bud from Std catalog of S&W edition #2. I do not know of any site that covers all that is in it, tho - it would be real useful.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bud -

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. Jim Supica and Richard Nahas.

Published by krause publications. ISBN - 0-87349-272-2

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Forgot to write it in - it is now in second edition.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Forgot to write it in - it is now, currently, in second edition.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Order it direct from the author.

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/scsw.htm

I have met Rick Nahas and have had several conversations with Jim Supica. Both are great guys and serious about their S&Ws. Since I've relocated from Rick's neighborhood (Virginia) to Jim's (he's in Kansas right across the river) I'm hoping to meet Jim one of these days. He has extended the invitation, but I have to be home long enough to take him up on it.

Also if you are serious about guns Jim's website is very good and I can highly recommend his catalog. It is awesome. I keep the SCS&W 1st and 2nd Editions by my computer along with a dictionary. You can tell from my posts I don't use the dictionary much, but the two SCS&Ws get plenty of use.

There are more than a few of us pushing to get them to do a 3rd Edition. No commitment from them as of yet.

-Scott-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts