Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a .45ACP, a 40 S&W, and a 9mm.
I thought carrying in crowded public places, the .45 would be best, and when hiking or being outdoors to carry my .40.
Trying to find a use for my 9mm now. Hehe

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I think the main is to have something with you irrespective of caliber. You won't always be able to control/predict when and where you will be. Best to carry what will address the majority of your everyday living.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Why would you go down to 40 when hiking? If I were to have to shoot a wild animal that was about to attack me I'd want a larger bullet not smaller.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,849 Posts
I have primary carry revolvers in .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and .454 Casull. I have primary carry pistols in 40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 10mm. I have a secondary pocket carry Sig P938 in 9mm. Carry whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I don't think there are many bear in S IL , any of those with good shot placement should do the job on most any problems , I'd make sure to carry the right ammo and enough rounds for the "what if brigade" :yup:

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thinking in terms of protection against the 2-legged variety of predators, in the colder months I carry one of my .40S&W pistols which would be a gen3 Glock 23 or more commonly an M&P 40c. In the warmer months it would be a gen3 Glock 19 or an M&P 9c. I also have a couple of pistols in .45ACP, one of which lives in my secondary carry stable.

If I were of a mind to go hiking in the mountains of my state, I would carry my 5 1/2" barrel Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum or, if I had one, a Glock 20 loaded with the hottest loads I could obtain (Underwood, Double Tap, or Buffalo Bore). The Glock 20 would get the edge primarily because of its capacity but that Redhawk is so accurate and the .44 Magnum is a proven load against dangerous animals. I still have some loads I made with a 225 grain Speer semi-jacketed hollow point over 23 grains of 2400. According to the Speer loading manual at the time I loaded those, which didn't go over 22.5 grains for that bullet, that load is pushing 1600 fps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think there are many bear in S IL , any of those with good shot placement should do the job on most any problems , I'd make sure to carry the right ammo and enough rounds for the "what if brigade" :yup:
No, not many bears. A few panthers & bobcats & wolves.

For hiking I'd go with a .357 or 10mm. Ballistics wise they are very similar. At the very least I would carry the .45 because it will pack more punch and be better against a bear.
I thought the 40 cal due to its' velocity & mass might be better.

A caliber war is brewing.
Just weight few minutes.
No, not trying to start a caliber war. Just a dumb ol' guy with a limited number of pistols. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
.380, 9MM, .40, 38/357, 45. Depending on location and clothing. Plus "variety is the spice of life"

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Personally I do not get the point of having different calibers for different situations unless you are dealing with extremes. For example, when I did backwoods hiking and camping in PA black bear country I OWB carried my SD9VE loaded with 9mm Underwood +P Penetrator, but when I carried IWB on the street I loaded it with Federal HST 147 gr. If I had gone to brown bear country in those states that have them, I would have carried a 44 magnum revolver loaded with a hot round in a chest holster. When I carried my Lc9s more deeply concealed on the street I loaded it with Underwood Extreme Defender so I would not have to worry about expansion failure from a short barrel but would get good penetration without overpenetraion. Changing guns make sense to me when circumstances dictate. Otherwise change ammo within a given caliber

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Different strokes for different people.
You need a .357 magnum,and than you'll have everything.
except a 10mm...and a 38 super...and a .41mag ...crap!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We’re full-time Rv’ers in retirement, so I’m in shorts a lot. I carry a S&W Shield in 9mm when in shorts and the 45ACP version when in long pants. Since the platforms are the same, there’s no thinking about function or shot placement. I prefer the 45ACP round, but it’s just a little on the cumbersome and weighty side when in shorts. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Honestly with proper ammo selection any one of the mentions would be fine for most uses. Until you get into bear country then you need the largest heaviest caliber you can effectively shoot.

Being able to put accurate shots on target repeatedly is the most important aspect not diameter. Penetration is next because you have to get to the important parts. Lastly energy. All of those are true whether fighting a two legged predator or the numerous dangerous game animals.

·
Registered
655 Posts
No, not many bears. A few panthers & bobcats & wolves.

I thought the 40 cal due to its' velocity & mass might be better.
Like anything else it depends on shot placement for a bear. It took the cop in Ferguson, MO to hit his human target 6 times with .40 cal before bringing him down for good with a final head shot. He was as big as a bear.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I've got a .45ACP, a 40 S&W, and a 9mm.
I thought carrying in crowded public places, the .45 would be best, and when hiking or being outdoors to carry my .40.
Trying to find a use for my 9mm now. Hehe
^^^Whichever you shoot most accurately is what will win the day in most situations!^^^

1 - 20 of 144 Posts