Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my dies for reloading .38/.357 I only ordered one set, thinking I would just change the settings when I wanted to change caliber on my Dillon 550. After going through changing from .357 to .38 special, I decided it was a bit of a pain to change the powder bar, and change the settings on all the dies, so I went ahead and ordered another powder dispenser, tool head, set of dies, etc. so I could make a quick change without changing all the adjustments.

Since the first set I ordered arrived within about a week, I figured the new set would show up relatively quickly. WRONG!!! Yes, the powder dispenser and tool head showed up quickly, but it's been a month and half since I ordered the dies, so I dropped them a note this afternoon asking how long it might be before I received the second set of dies. Got a response back in less than 30 minutes that the dies would probably not arrive for another five months. I can live without the dies for that long, but it is a bit frustrating.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
When I ordered my dies for reloading .38/.357 I only ordered one set, thinking I would just change the settings when I wanted to change caliber on my Dillon 550. After going through changing from .357 to .38 special, I decided it was a bit of a pain to change the powder bar, and change the settings on all the dies, so I went ahead and ordered another powder dispenser, tool head, set of dies, etc. so I could make a quick change without changing all the adjustments.

Since the first set I ordered arrived within about a week, I figured the new set would show up relatively quickly. WRONG!!! Yes, the powder dispenser and tool head showed up quickly, but it's been a month and half since I ordered the dies, so I dropped them a note this afternoon asking how long it might be before I received the second set of dies. Got a response back in less than 30 minutes that the dies would probably not arrive for another five months. I can live without the dies for that long, but it is a bit frustrating.....
Can other maker's dies fit your Dillon press? Maybe you can get a set of Lee, Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman dies in the meantime.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i believe that the "square deal B" press is the only one that uses specific dillion dies models exclusive to that "B" model......
that 550 should take other brands like any other press......but you might come up short there as well.

its been 6 months and i still can not get LEE 32 H&R dies....

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
Time to be looking at Craigslist. During the obama shortages I got a lot of reloading components, many at bargain prices. Most was for reloading shotgun shells, but the principle is the same.

Many times the people listing it just want to get rid of it. Often they have no idea as to any valuations on it, as it was gramps scarey stuff they know nothing about.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I use an old 550, with a mixture of dies from several different makers, including Lyman, but not Lee.

Other makers' dies fit the Dillon press, but not all lock rings have the same outside diameter, and there's where you might run into trouble. However, all makers' lock rings fit all makers' dies (ID and thread), so you can "mix and match."

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use an old 550, with a mixture of dies from several different makers, including Lyman, but not Lee.

Other makers' dies fit the Dillon press, but not all lock rings have the same outside diameter, and there's where you might run into trouble. However, all makers' lock rings fit all makers' dies (ID and thread), so you can "mix and match."
Good to know! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I use Lee dies on my 550 with no problem. I would look at other brands. Only Dillon die you need is the powder die if you are using their powder measure.

I see the issue about lock rings was brought up. I haven’t ran into issues with this, but I know some people solved this issue by mounting the lock rings underneath the tool head.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use Lee dies on my 550 with no problem. I would look at other brands. Only Dillon die you need is the powder die if you are using their powder measure.

I see the issue about lock rings was brought up. I haven’t ran into issues with this, but I know some people solved this issue by mounting the lock rings underneath the tool head.
There are other dies available, but pretty much only used at ridiculous prices. I can wait if I have to....

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
This is the worst part about the Big Crunch in the industry.

It’s one thing that ammo is expensive. That sucks. And that some guns are hard to get. That sucks as well. It really sucks if you’re new to shooting and don’t already have a ton of ammo and guns. I’ve already got guns that they want to ban, and a stockpile of ammo that would last lifetimes if I stopped target shooting for fun.

But this kind of thing sucks. Reloading dies? That blows. No reason for it. There are so many things that I want to buy that are just sold out. A specific barrel to build a certain AR? Gone. A specific type of buffer? Nope. This one specific LPVO scope? Good luck. Affordable, available reloading equipment, not even consumables? Say a prayer.

Just annoys me.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the worst part about the Big Crunch in the industry.

It’s one thing that ammo is expensive. That sucks. And that some guns are hard to get. That sucks as well. It really sucks if you’re new to shooting and don’t already have a ton of ammo and guns. I’ve already got guns that they want to ban, and a stockpile of ammo that would last lifetimes if I stopped target shooting for fun.

But this kind of thing sucks. Reloading dies? That blows. No reason for it. There are so many things that I want to buy that are just sold out. A specific barrel to build a certain AR? Gone. A specific type of buffer? Nope. This one specific LPVO scope? Good luck. Affordable, available reloading equipment, not even consumables? Say a prayer.

Just annoys me.
Many things are that way right now. We just bought a new Subaru for my wife. You can get them, but they are in short supply. But many GMs and Fords are almost impossible to find. Our local GM, Chevy, Jeep and Ford dealers have virtually no new cars on their lots.

And, of course, you can find powder, bullets, and brass right now, although you have to be diligent in searching. But forget primers - they are unobtanium.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Wife was asking about dies for her new (to her) Sig.
Of course is is a caliber that we don't already have.
New die sets doubled in price, used for what new was a year ago. Not sure I want to gamble on used.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts