Defensive Carry banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,769 Posts
If they are still manufacturing ammo then where is it all going?
I read over and over about how people with friends who work at various stores - a LOT of the chain stores as well as individually owned ones. They find out what day the ammo shipments come in and are at the store when the doors open. Within an hour or two it is all gone.

It is not that there is no ammo. It is that people are figuring ways to be first in line and grab all they can. Notice, if you will, that when several of the reputable web sites get shipments of ammo, they are putting limits on the number of boxes a person can order. They are doing what they can to make that ammo available to as many people as possible so others do not order every single case they have in stock - and there are people who will and are doing that.

Add people who really don't need more ammo, but buy all they can get, to government contracts (think police departments, etc. etc.) which would come first for deliveries. Top that off with the many tens of thousands of new gun owners who really do need ammo so they can learn to use those new guns - and I think you will find that x+x+x= continuing shortages.

But that is logic. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
38,097 Posts
It goes the same place all the TP goes . . . into hoarders' closets.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
17,285 Posts
The local small gun stores can't get ammo from their wholesalers. The local Sportsman's Warehouse gets shipments of guns and ammo on Thursday afternoons. They wait until Friday morning to put it on the shelves. It is usually sold out within minutes even with limitations on numbers of boxes. There is a line outside waiting for them to open.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
After four years of B and K who knows what the price and availability will be. Plenty of clues and current events right now to catch a glimpse of the future.

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
In the last politically-driven drought about 8 years ago, I could get powder and primers, but loaded ammo was scarce and so were bullets. This time aroumd it's worse - the shortages go much deeper. Brass may be available, but bullets, powder and primers are completely sold out in all the normal sources. Politics aside, this current rush is exacerbated by Covid fears and civil unrest, neither of which has a predictable cycle like politics. Highly reminiscent of $5/gallon gas prices.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Those prices may well be WHY he has ammo in stock. And you did say you hadn't been in there since July. Obviously you haven't been supplying them with money to stay in business. I am not bashing you - I haven't been in any of our LGS's for a long time either.
Saturday, I sold back to my LGS 4 bricks of 40 grain lrn .22 lr at $5.00 over the cost he sold them to me, earlier this year. I have plenty and could afford to do so. He had zero on the shelf and had probably lost out on gun sales. Could I have squeezed him for more money? Yes but, he’s done right by me in the past and squeezing him wouldn’t have felt right.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Big box stores are empty LGS has 9mm FMJ $26 1 box limit , I've seen a few customers carrying out cases but don't know what caliber .

·
Registered
490 Posts
LGS here has a sign up "One box of ammunition with the purchase or a firearm or range time." Haven't seen anything on any shelves except 350 legend or 300 Win Mag.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I was out of town looking for a replacement van today and decided to check out the LGS that's been advertising bulk ammo. Fiocci 9mm FMJ box of 50 was going for $45. No thanks. I could always use more, but not that desperate. Yet. When my go-to LGS has it, its still under $20 a box of 50, decent brand. HST's, 124 grain +P, are still going for $45 for a box of 50. Not too bad, considering. Just have to be in when they come in. My LGS also has more than just firearms, ammo, and magazines. The one advertising heavily on the radio doesn't seem to have anything else. Ok, they have some high-end knives and a half dozen holsters too.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
The owner of my LGS kept his prices as low as he could (while also restricting how much we could purchase) for as long as he had inventory he had paid less for, but once he ran out, he had to purchase new inventory at much higher prices. He can't be expected to sell it for less than he paid for it, but some people demand exactly that.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
People haven't changed much. I worked at a local hardware store in the 60s...we sold a few guns and a little ammo...and folks would come in and gripe about the price on a box of shells. Enough did that that my greedy boss started selling a few out of a box. Folks would come in and buy two...or four...when they'd shot a few. He'd charge about 3x what the box divided out to be per shell...but they didn't care...they had their cylinder full again and hadn't had to lay out $4 or $5 for a box. Folks still have that get-by barely enough mindset, and they don't want to pay for what they need. If I have a .38, and no ammo...I have a rock. I should be willing to pay the going rate for not preparing, just like putting a new motor into my truck because I hadn't bothered to check the oil. Most of us here have laid in several boxes per caliber, because we believe the need is real and the responsibility of being able to protect our families is one we take seriously. I believe the shortages are because of the millions who have never prepared and are now afraid enough to kick loose and buy some ammo...I don't have much sympathy with those. I've given away hundreds of dollars worth of ammo to those near and dear to me, and some needy neighbors...glad I had it to spare. Those who might show up at the door breathless and wide-eyed...I have no more to give, and I won't sell. My family's more important than the few dollars I could get, even at inflated prices...nothing for sale. May we all die of old age and never need a round of it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts