Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was in my Doctors office for a yearly physical and I noticed a signed that was obviously computer generated that read: "No Guns, No knives and No Pepper Spray, Leave your weapons at home." My God what is going on here I thought seems like society wants you defenseless. Moreover, you have mostly women that working in the office. What do you guys think.... By the way I was not armed. Unless they count the pen in my pocket which is indeed a weapon in the right hands.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
BlueLion

You Said:
"By the way I was not armed. Unless they count the pen in my pocket which is indeed a weapon in the right hands."

What is wrong with you? What were you thinking??? :confused:

LEAVE YOUR DEADLY PEN AT HOME! :rofl:
They HAVE much safer pens in the office that you can borrow if you need one.

Man, that is unreal!...I'd start looking for a new Doctor.
My Doctor Packs a S&W .38 :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Sadly,doctors are another group of individuals(along with congressmen and senators) that live in their own little $100,000 - $200,000 a year worlds. They don't need the protection of a weapon cuz they are in a sterile environment anyway. Security is provided or bought by them. They have the classic"Why would anybody need to carry a GUN" mentality. SAD--VERY SAD.--------------

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Rssz

Actually, you are pretty correct. There is a HUGE group of Doctors Against Gun Violence.
Much higher than the average population.
Probably has something to do with that Hippocratic Oath & "Physician Do No Harm" sort of thing.
My Family Dr. was Ex~Military so he is a pretty cool guy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
RSSZ said:
Sadly,doctors are another group of individuals(along with congressmen and senators) that live in their own little $100,000 - $200,000 a year worlds. They don't need the protection of a weapon cuz they are in a sterile environment anyway. Security is provided or bought by them. They have the classic"Why would anybody need to carry a GUN" mentality. SAD--VERY SAD.--------------
Not all us doctors are wealthy, or anywhere even close to upper middle class, let alone $100,000 per year. Then again, I admit, I'm neither like most doctors, nor do I like most doctors.

I carry 24/7, and encourage others, including patients, to do likewise. I first got my permit because I was doing housecalls in the projects (would I be doing housecalls if I was rich?) during a time that crimes related to oxycontin use were high. By the way, I found this website via a patient who has a close relative who posts here often.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I can't help remembering - the numbers of deaths and injuries that occur due to medical incompetence.!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Haha - Blue - I should perhaps have added the rider - that not all medics are guilty! I know some good guys and we have some medical folks here. I was just referring to the overall figures! Sorta contrast aspect!

I am sometimes to tact, what a rabid wolf is to a pack of sheep :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
P95Carry said:
I can't help remembering - the numbers of deaths and injuries that occur due to medical incompetence.!
Ready to be scared?

On July 27, 2004, HealthGrades, Inc., the leading independent healthcare quality company which provides ratings information and advisory services to healthcare providers and insurance companies, issued its own study in which it reported that on average, 195,000 people die each year from potentially preventable, in-hospital medical errors. This data was compiled for each of the years 2000, 2001, and 2002. The report studied 37 million Medicare patient records during this period.
Source: medicalmalpractice.com

·
Registered
686 Posts
Blue,

We don't keep Chris around for his tact...we keep him around because he has a ton of great thoughts and presents them with no BS :)

--Jim

·
Registered
998 Posts
My doc makes his rounds in jeans and cowboy boots. I get the feeling that he is packing heat, but the subject has never come up.

I read a while back about customer questionaires pediatricians were giving to parents asking if firearms where in the home.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Doctors:
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

Now Guns:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. Yes, that is 80 million.
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.
Statistics courtesy of F.B.I.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

·
Registered
106 Posts
freakshow10mm said:
Doctors:
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

Now Guns:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. Yes, that is 80 million.
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.
Statistics courtesy of F.B.I.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Good point, they should put this on the news. People (especially here in California) are so paranoid about guns, yet think nothing about a doctors advice to take drugs.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
CombatEffective said:
My doc makes his rounds in jeans and cowboy boots. I get the feeling that he is packing heat, but the subject has never come up.

I read a while back about customer questionaires pediatricians were giving to parents asking if firearms where in the home.
It's not just pediatricians. My Internist uses the standard AMA form which requests this info. We leave it blank . . . and if he ever were to say anything to me about it, I'd hand him his head. Besides which he knows that I was a Special/Reserve PO for many years and that I'm now a Constable. Thus, you don't need an MD after your name to figure out that the person is likely to own a few guns! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
RSSZ said:
Sadly, doctors are another group of individuals (along with congressmen and senators) that live in their own little $100,000 - $200,000 a year worlds.
You mean if our income is above $100,000 - $200,000 a year we live in a different world? I never noticed....

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
This is an off topic sort of response, and I'm not picking on you Bumper, but the fact is I have seen people who pull in those fix figure incomes just get used to it.

I recall when I worked at Lowe's for all those years we had a very nice regular customer who bought all sorts of lawn and garden supplies from us. She was a real nice person. She was also a well to do person. I don't think anything ill of her at all. But my goodness was she naive to the ways of the world.

She once even asked me if I brought stuff home from work so my gardener would have something to do every day. I didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't have a gardener... heck I was someone else's gardener and I didn't get paid for it either! :biggrin: I changed the subject. I think she'd have been horrified to learn that her car cost as much as the combined annual earnings of everyone that worked in that lawn and garden department save perhaps for the managers.

In my own little field when I get to confer with other individuals whose background is in mathematics, they assume that I make something like $50,000 a year because they earn $65,000 as entry level peons and "teachers are underpaid." They are shocked when I tell them the pay scale we are on.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want the jobs these guys have because they are BORING. You put me and them in a same room and I've got more personality in my little finger than these guys do in their whole bodies. I have too many hobbies and interests and they have none, unless it's something like memorizing Pi.

Classic example is when a state legislator, a lawyer by profession whose annual income was in this bracket, was talking to a superintendent of a small school district. The legislator assumed that a superintendent made at least $400k annually. The discussion was that teacher retirement benefits should be cut because we already made in excess of $45,000 annaully on average anyway, plus we all went home to our real jobs that actually paid the bills. Ha!

I don't begrudge anyone for being rich or poor, but it does color your perceptions. I'm actually glad now that I spent a year living like 85% or more of the people in this country live because when I meet kids who can't afford notebook paper I understand they really can't.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts