Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Doctor said one of the Local Sheriff Deputies – a Glock Armorer - told him it'd be okay to clean his (or any) Glock in a Dishwasher, be sure to dry it good - then thin coat of oil and it's good to go.

Anyone else ever hear anything like this?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Never heard anything like that, but I can't imagine ever doing it. It sounds like a bad idea IMO. It won't clean it thoroughly and may even damage something. I just can't see anything positive coming out of the experience. That being said, most firearms are very tough, but I still don't see the point.

I dunno about you guys, but I actually enjoy the time I spend cleaning my pistols. I know it might sound lame, but I think it creates more of a bond between you and your guns. Ok ok, it sounds really lame.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I dunno about you guys, but I actually enjoy the time I spend cleaning my pistols. I know it might sound lame, but I think it creates more of a bond between you and your guns. Ok ok, it sounds really lame.
Yeah, thats pretty lame... :wink: Just kidding. I feel the same way.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I've heard that but really, how lazy can one be? I'd have a hard time believing the gun would be cleaned properly anyway with that method. :hand5:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It might clean the Glock parts, but I wouldn't want to chance transferring any microscopic amount of chemicals from the parts to the dishwasher and then to dishes.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
No thanks!
Some dishwashers get very hot, hotter than the hot water your water heater puts out, due to a built in water heating system.
Not to mention most dishwasher detergents are corrosive. If you've ever washed an aluminum pan in a dishwasher and see the black spots appear, it will give you an idea of what that stuff can do.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
The next time I use my Glock 27 as a pie plate I might put it in the dishwasher. :rofl:

Seriously, I've never put one in the dishwasher, however I have pulled wooden grips off and field-stripped them, then standing outside the shower, held them with a piece of cord and let the hot water only stream clean them out. Wait until they get real hot, take it out, shake what few drops remain. The parts will be pretty hot and pretty much dry by itself. Lube and reassemble.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dishwasher hardly gets my dishes clean...I don't trust it with my guns.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not to mention most dishwasher detergents are corrosive.
Not only that, but most auto dishwasher stuff is abrasive as well. That's why your coffee mugs fade over time and it's such a bad idea to stick knives in there.

My guess is that it would survive and probably end up really rather clean but, probably not as clean as a good hand cleaning. It also may get some lube out of places it belongs where it's hard to replace.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I've used a hot shower to take sand and mud off a weapon before, but I don't used any dishwashing chemicals or anything.

Then again, I don't own a dishwasher, except my hands, so I guess all of my weapons get dishwasher cleaned.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It would probably work just fine. I clean my pistols with hot water and Simple Green. It cleans better than any solvent that I have tried in the last 36 yrs. Rinse with hot water, dry, and then hose down any metal parts with CLP.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What is with the terrible advice going around today? First the guy that told somebody to put his carry inside the leather holster and leave it loaded in the oven to form the holster... now people cleaning their guns in the dishwasher?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My dishwasher hardly gets my dishes clean...I don't trust it with my guns.
LOL. I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This reminds me of cleaning your vehicle in a car wash verses by hand. We all know which method actually cleans... Think I'll stick to the tried and true old fashion method.

·
Registered
261 Posts
umm...... I guess I could strap the AR to the hood of the car and run it through the car wash...... Heck..... could do that will all my guns!

Wait.....came to my senses........ naw, I'll pass..........

·
Registered
752 Posts
Gunscrubber(Synthetic Safe) works great on my polymer firearms. It is designed not to harm plastic and cleans firearms and magazines also without worry of damage. I use a can of compressed gas to speed up the drying process in the nooks and crannies of the Slide & Frame. Lubricate following the instruction manual and you are good to go.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Don't need no stinkin' dishwasher, just Gunzilla!:yup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts