Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its obvious that there's some insubordination in the military but lets say I disobey an order because such an order goes against the constitution. Upon being sworn into the military, or into the police department, you to swear an oath to uphold the US Constitution so I would see it as my duty to disobey any order that goes against the Constitution.

Lets say Hurricane Katrina just happened and Im in the National Guard. Im ordered to seize guns in New Orleans. I disobey the order because such an order goes against the Constitution, it goes against the 2nd Amendment and the 4th Amendment. What would be the result if I disobeyed such an order?

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
The leaders above you will not say, "Oh, you're right. Never mind." By the time that order reaches you, any arguments will have already have been addressed and decided. You will most likely be arrested and charged with disobeying an order. You can then argue the lawfulness of that particular order at your court martial trial. May the force be with you, because the court will not be.

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
Its obvious that there's some insubordination in the military but lets say I disobey an order because such an order goes against the constitution. Upon being sworn into the military, or into the police department, you to swear an oath to uphold the US Constitution so I would see it as my duty to disobey any order that goes against the Constitution.

Lets say Hurricane Katrina just happened and Im in the National Guard. Im ordered to seize guns in New Orleans. I disobey the order because such an order goes against the Constitution, it goes against the 2nd Amendment and the 4th Amendment. What would be the result if I disobeyed such an order?
Probably a less-than-honorable discharge at best. Downhill from there.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
if it were me, the result would be that I’m not taking anyone’s guns.

Reactions: riverrambler

·
Registered
14,194 Posts

In the Army we were required to follow any lawful order.

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
I carried out several orders I found particularly distasteful while in uniform. They came with the territory. If you're gonna play the part, you gotta say your lines.

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
All this talk about lawful orders, well an order to seize guns would not be lawful as it would violate the 2A.
At the trooper level, you don't really get to make the "lawful" decisions. You make end up being right, but as they say in the trade--you're going for the ride. You follow orders and debate it afterwards.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the trooper level, you don't really get to make the "lawful" decisions. You make end up being right, but as they say in the trade--you're going for the ride. You follow orders and debate it afterwards.
I am not going to follow orders and debate it afterwards if doing so might cost innocent lives.

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
I am not going to follow orders and debate it afterwards if doing so might cost innocent lives.
Don't. Your call, but the military folks here are telling you what will happen. You asked, you were told by those who have walked on that path, so if you find yourself in that life-changing situation--think hard because it cannot be undone.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Well, there's following orders and there's following orders.

Pokes head in house door, "Ya'll got any guns here? Nope, OK, bye"

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here's one for you, I was in the 24th Infantry Div. in Augsburg, Germany from 60-63. And we had a person that refused to follow orders from some of his higher- ups. The interesting thing is that he was our Commanding General, Major General Edwin Walker. Google him if you want some interesting reading. He would show up out of the blue and ask you what you thought of this or that politician, your political views, etc. He would fly the Div flag above the US flag. Eventually, he was fired but he sure made life fun when he was around.

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
That’s part of being a man; willing to take the consequences of your actions.
We were taught you don’t have to obey an unlawful order, but you best better be damned sure you are right, and willing to go thru some major heat.

The Mi Lai massacre in Vietnam is an example of something you do not want to take part in.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We all better think long and hard about the possibility of this being thrust upon our National Guard etc. I took an OATH to support and defend the Constitution of the United States...that oath did not come with an expiration date. As a retired USMC Infantry Officer, I know exactly how I would respond to anybody trying to overthrow the Constitution, through any act to deprive me of my rights. There is a way to amend the Constitution; sending some hapless National Guard Troop or other "minions" to try to confiscate legally owned firearms is not one of the options. There's a whole lot of people, vets and not, who will be with me too. And if not? Oh well,

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I remember quite a few years back there was a soldier who refused to wear the UN uniform because he swore an oath not to wear any foreign uniform. He was court martialed but I don't remember what the ruling was. If I were ordered to seek and confiscate lawfully owned firearms I reckon I would seek and not find any until pushed to the point of refusing to follow orders. Reckon I have a criminal mind after all.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts