Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was in Mission Essential gun shop here in Savannah, GA today when I overheard a conversation between a customer and salesguy about carry inside the store that upset me. It was what the sales guy said and the way he said it that upset me. Below is the e-mail I sent to the store. It describes what happened and what made me mad. It's a shame because I've always been happy with this place up till this.

I was in your Savannah Store today where I have purchased guns in the past, just browsing handguns when a customer that was next to me asks one of your sales guys "so why did y'all stop allowing carry in the store?". I was carrying concealed so this caught my attention and I listened to the conversation.

Sales guy replied: "you can carry as long as it's unloaded. You can leave your magazines at the door". (I assumed he meant right inside the door).

Customer replies: "Why did y'all start this policy, did you have an incident?"

Sales guy responds: "No, we just don't want someone in here with a loaded gun and then jumping over the counter and grabbing a MP5".

What kind of nonsense is that? He could of just said it was store policy and left it at that, but that response only goes to feed the anti-gun-rights-people ammunition to continue taking our rights away. It feeds into a wrongful hysteria that if the people are allowed to have guns, they will be shooting and robbing everyone. We've fought hard in GA (and nationally) to get some of our constitutionally guaranteed gun rights and freedoms back and continue to fight every day to get the rest of them back and these types of responses can do nothing but harm.

I personally would think that a Gun Store would want everyone inside that could legally be carrying to be so if they were ever actually robbed. A person set on robbing will most likely not be carrying legally and will not honor any store policy anyway. Furthermore, someone who would rob a gun store would most likely be a much more violent criminal who expected there to be armed people inside. But in the end it's your store and you can set whatever policy you wish (though in GA all you can do is ask someone to leave if you actually observe them carrying in your store whether you post a policy or not).

Whatever policy you wish to implement in your store, please don't allow your sales people to spout rhetoric like they did above. If you actually believe such hysteria, perhaps you shouldn't be selling guns to start with.
*EDIT: There was a misunderstanding that's been addressed. Please see reply #28 at http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/1456731-post28.html

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just don't ask, the signs mean nothing in GA anyway. I just assume it means guns that people are trading, selling, or pawning. I pretend it doesn't apply to concealed guns. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't ask either, just overheard the conversation.

The part that offended me though was the attitude and statement of the saleman. He basically responded that allowing law abiding citizens to carry in the store would result in people jumping over the counter and robbing them.

It was the attitude of if you allow people to legally carry weapons, then watch out. This attitude is unacceptable, especially from a gun shop employee.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A lot of the guys I was in the Army with really liked the owner of that store. Can't remember his name, but they all thought he was a good guy. Maube you should talk to him about it.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
This attitude is unacceptable, especially from a gun shop employee.
That's what you've got to realize........employee/owner. Service, and sales. With service you get service, with sales, you'll get whatever is on tap at the time. I think you've done the right thing, other than boycott the place all together. I wish you well on the outcome.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Sales guy responds: "No, we just don't want someone in here with a loaded gun and then jumping over the counter and grabbing a MP5".
Did (has) anyone considered that the clerk was simply making an attempt to be funny?

I think there are too many uptight gun owners around. :wave:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Please quit worrying about words and deeds that fuel the anti-gun movement. I believe most of their rhetoric is based on lies, distortions of facts and paranoia. I am not going to live my life worrying that I may be "helping" the other side. Their version of truth is opposite of mine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are a lot of places that I deal with that have illegal signs (Texas issue). After I have been in their store and traded with them where they know me, I pretend I have never noticed the sign and discuss it with management/ownership. Most every one of them has had no issue with me, someone they know well at that time, having a concealed handgun. Their main concern is "the unknown". I even carry inside a Kay Jewelery store that has a LEGAL sign because the management was willing to listen to reason and allows ME and several others to do so.

There have been stores that were not willing to listen to reason. Those stores found that I was willing to drop my business with them when they received one of the "no guns = no money" cards I show in my avatar.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
There are three gun shops and two pawn shops that I purchase from locally that have no problem whatsoever with their customers carrying. There is one that is posted with a "no loaded weapons" sign that I no longer frequent for that reason. My thought is if they hand someone a box of ammo in the store, what would keep someone from loading up? If someone has ill intents, they're going to ignore the sign anyway.

The only other reason I could imagine would something that I've witnessed many times in local gun shops. I apply safe and proper gun handling principles with their weapons and mine. If I must unholster in order to try another holster/gun, I unload and clear and always point everything in a safe direction. I ask before dry firing. Unfortunately, I regularly observe other customers not practicing safe habits. I've had a few conversations after some of those customers have left where the shop folks said those kinds of folks make them nervous (pulling out their loaded weapon to show or ask questions, etc, and not paying attention to where they are pointing it, etc.). The gun shops I frequent use it as an educational opportunity if the person seems oblivious. That makes more sense to me than posting a sign.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I was at a gun store in Rio Rancho the other day and it had a sign on the door "supporting and encouraging" conceal carry while in the store. I felt right at home and was even more inclined to purchase something!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
So to ensure nobody is armed do they make you strip down to a speedo before you come in,that mentality is just stupid

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I personally would think that a Gun Store would want everyone inside that could legally be carrying to be so if they were ever actually robbed. A person set on robbing will most likely not be carrying legally and will not honor any store policy anyway. Furthermore, someone who would rob a gun store would most likely be a much more violent criminal who expected there to be armed people inside. But in the end it's your store and you can set whatever policy you wish (though in GA all you can do is ask someone to leave if you actually observe them carrying in your store whether you post a policy or not).
I can't believe a GUN STORE wouldn't understand this! :aargh4:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I witnessed a customer in a local gun shop as he was looking at a handgun and discussing it compared to his with the employee take out his loaded CCW and proceed to break every safe gun handling rule possible. The shop employee asked him if he could see his weapon, and then proceeded to unload and clear the weapon and lay it in a safe direction. He then proceeded to explain to him the basic rules of safe gun handling. After he left, the employee said it was people like that guy that make him nervous. Perhaps they are more concerned with idiots than criminals. I'm just trying to guess, not saying it's right.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That is my bet. It really is amazing how many people do crap like that in a gun shop. I don't say I agree but I can see where they may post the place to protect themselves from people like that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are idiots everywhere and I can understand a gun shop not wanting them throwing their loaded gun about.

I may have took the conversation the wrong way, I don't know. I wasn't paying attention to it until I happened to hear the cust. ask why they stopped allowing carry in the store, so I have no idea what was said before that as I was browsing guns.

It just stood out the way the salesman replied. I would have been much happier if he would have said that's just store policy or that it was because some people are idiots and don't safely handle their guns. But he responded that they're worried about someone jumping the counter and robbing them and he seemed serious when he said it.

I've never paid attention to if there is a posted sign or policy at this store. I carry concealed and have no intentions to advertise that I carry any where I go. I usually visit this store each weekend to see what's new and they're usually fairly busy.

Maybe I should of pulled the salesman aside and told him I disapproved of his answer, but I let it go (he was dealing with a customer) . I finished browsing and left. I've always been treated well and intend to still shop there.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Yeah, the sales guy may have had a bady day or perhaps this particular customer had been acting like an idiot prior to that part of the conversation. If your encounters have been positive, no reason to let one brief statement change that. If you have issue with the posting, perhaps ask the owner why they put it up.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I know what cha mean. Not to hijack the thread at all, but I had a similar experience, but in a more direct way. Awhile back I went to a Gun store that I sometimes purchase from and was looking for a holster. I ask one of the sales guys for some assistance and he came over and started showing me some options. We came to this one holster and he said he wasn't sure if it would fit the pistol I was buying for. He ask me did I have the pistol with me and I said yes. He then said do you want to go get it and I said I have it on me. He got a funny look on his face and got quiet. I told him I have a GFL and was it okay to remove it from my holster, he said yes, so I pulled it out slowly and with caution started to clear the pistol in as safe a direction as possible being inside the store. The guy started acting like he was getting upset and said "Man that's so uncool", or something to that effect. I looked at the guy and said what's the problem. He said "Your not supposed to be carry a loaded pistol in here" I said why, he said that the store was posted and it's clear to see the sign on the door. I then told the guy that that sign isn't recognized by the state that issued me my GFL and I'm breaking no law, and that he's the one that told me I could unholster my pistol. He then said he understood the sign has no weight by law, but he could take my magazine and unload the rounds from it and give it back to me if he wanted to. :rofl: Yup, I laughed out loud and said that wouldn't be a good thing for him to do. I told him I'll be glad to leave and shop elsewhere, but what's mine is mine and sign or no sign, he should handle it professionally as I meant no harm and I respect his concern, but that's it.

Long story shot; I offered an apology to the guy and said, "look, I really thought the sign pertained to weapons that would be handled by anyone trying to trade or sell in a effort to eliminate an accidental discharge" He said no, it's because all the weapons they have on display and yada yada yada. By the end of the conversation I decided their concern was valid enough and I would from then on honor their "NO LOADED WEAPONS" sign. Now when I visit the store I unload my pistol and place the mag in my pocket, oh and I wont be offering up my pistol upon request unless the person asking for it is a LEO. If that doesn't make the store happy, well I'll take my $s else where for future purchases.

Good job on the email to the business, but I'm pretty sure it'll fall on blind eyes and deaf ears.

·
Registered
54 Posts
None of the gun stores I go to in CT don't have that policy and if they did they would not be getting my business. That would just be hypocritical, plain dumb, and if you look at it closer a big plus for anti gunners and a hit against the 2nd Amendment. Heck, one of them has a gun range right inside lol.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I never should give my money to a gun shop that has a non-carry policy, even when the signs do not have weight in FL.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts