Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked into car safes and didn't like how much plastic was on them. I worried that a screwdriver might be all it took to pop them open.

I made this and thought I'd throw it out there. Good for several handguns and whatever you want to keep in it. My SW 686 6" fits in it holstered, so the size is good. Defends against smash and grab robberies, assuming the bad guys aren't carrying tools for cutting steel cables and such.

I took an old steel ammo can, put as hasp on it for a lock, cut holes through the bottom for a steel cable, and voila. I'm showing it here in the back, but it's small enough to fit behind the front seat, looping the cable around the seat frame.

I was thinking that if I wanted something to hold larger/more stuff, then a steel tool box would work nicely.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I love it. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Excellent! I did the same thing with a Fire Safe I bought from Wally World. I anchored it with a industrial grade chain to the actual vehicle frame where the seats attach, then locked the whole thing up with the largest case hardened lock I could locate. This way I can slide it under the seats of the vehicle(s) and it is not visible. You are good to go sir!!!

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Very well done sir. :yup:

Regards,

FlaRon :urla9ub:

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I like it. Great idea and simplicity itself.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I looked into car safes and didn't like how much plastic was on them. I worried that a screwdriver might be all it took to pop them open.

I made this and thought I'd throw it out there. Good for several handguns and whatever you want to keep in it. My SW 686 6" fits in it holstered, so the size is good. Defends against smash and grab robberies, assuming the bad guys aren't carrying tools for cutting steel cables and such.

I took an old steel ammo can, put as hasp on it for a lock, cut holes through the bottom for a steel cable, and voila. I'm showing it here in the back, but it's small enough to fit behind the front seat, looping the cable around the seat frame.

I was thinking that if I wanted something to hold larger/more stuff, then a steel tool box would work nicely.

Very nice.

You been stealing trays from the TSA? :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think this is fantastic. I cant's see where the vehicle tie down is located, is it possible to position the safe over the tie down by cutting a slot on the bottom of the ammo can and using a padlock to secure it? It would be tougher than cable and protect the tie down spot from being cut. Either way most opportunistic thieves are carrying cutters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The trays are restaurant table busing trays from Sams. 2 for $12 and heavyset enough to tote lots of canned goods, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would probably work. Then again, if the thieves brought a big tool bag, they could unbolt the tie down completely.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
This is ingenious. Great job and a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well thought out...

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Very nicely done. Innovation at its finest

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Nice job, and much cheaper than buying a new one.
Very neat idea to slow the bad guys down.

Thanks for sharing
This is ingenious. Great job and a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Good job.

Unless you have the exact tool, steel cable is tough to cut. A common thief will be there a while with wire cutters.

^I'm in this camp^^^^^^^^^^^

1 - 19 of 19 Posts