Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to get one of those DIY kits when you just can’t find what your looking for? I’ve never made one before but I would like to get one for my naa black widow.

Also what would happen if I used my actual gun vs the blue gun

Would like horizontal following the belt kydex but it doesn’t seem to exist and I also don’t want to spend nearly $100 on a leather holster for a black widow

Anyway thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
What DYI kit are you referring to?

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
Knife Kits has decent components at decent prices, but unless you have some experience in holster design and construction, you will probably be very disappointed in your results with such a product.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I bought some premade kydex shells for my shoulder holster and my 2 vest carries, put on leather backer, with a kydex backer behind the leather. The straight leather backer will stretch and your pistol will fall out. I also don't like the full horizontal as it's too easy to fall out without a retainer strap. I put mine all at about a cant with muzzle and butt level, maybe a bit muzzle down.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t think I’m confident enough to pocket carry that little sa and hair trigger lol

I’ll keep brain storming

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I don’t think I’m confident enough to pocket carry that little sa and hair trigger lol

I’ll keep brain storming
Didn’t think it was a hair trigger unless cocked. But what do I know.

Take a look at Amazon, small list, and EBAY, larger assortment.
Might give ya ideas.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I make my own leather holsters. It's not rocket surgery . Look on YouTube, there are many, many videos on different styles.
I'm about to make one for my Wife. She doesn't like what is offered commercially.
If one has a less popular firearm and particular wants/needs in how it is carried, then custom is the only choice.
Making a holster doesn't take particular skill. Making a fancy-looking one does. I stick to functionality over bling. (nothing wrong with bling)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

I’ll keep brain storming
They are single action only. You don't carry the hammer back, well not for long anyway. And I don't foresee you getting the trigger covered well without interfering with it. I've been asked to make holster for guns like this, there is a lot involved to getting it right. Obviously it can be done, but just wrapping it in kydex may not work well. It will need to be masked out.

For $25 why not give it a try?
It's not the worst idea, but $25 does not buy the skills, foam, saws, etc, etc. It gets more expensive in a hurry if you don't have all the stuff to do it. I started down that path about 8 years ago, I know.

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
They are single action only. You don't carry the hammer back, well not for long anyway. And I don't foresee you getting the trigger covered well without interfering with it. I've been asked to make holster for guns like this, there is a lot involved to getting it right. Obviously it can be done, but just wrapping it in kydex may not work well. It will need to be masked out.

It's not the worst idea, but $25 does not buy the skills, foam, saws, etc, etc. It gets more expensive in a hurry if you don't have all the stuff to do it. I started down that path about 8 years ago, I know.
Holster press, kydex-heating equipment, drills, rivet-seating tools, sanding equipment, cutting equipment, the list goes on.

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
Here is how I press mine:

holster press 009.JPG

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for reminding me about watching how to videos. New baby so I’m not to quick witted these days.

Should be able to handle scabbard style with some type of snap loop around the hammer. I’ll try to remember to display the finished product.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Holster press, kydex-heating equipment, drills, rivet-seating tools, sanding equipment, cutting equipment, the list goes on.
Most people that are considering a DIY holster have a drill, sand paper, saws, dremmel etc. It can be heated in the oven/toaster oven or just with a heat gun. A press is ideal but you can use vacuum storage bags to mold as well which are like $3 at harbor freight.

The only way to see if you have the skill to make what you want is to try. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show you what to do.

Will the first one turn out perfect? No of course it won't but that doesn't mean he shouldn't try.

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
Fancier than mine, I use a book press.
The press I built works great for pressing pancake holsters. It affords little if any advantage over simpler designs for single-sheet holsters.

Reactions: matthew03
1 - 20 of 36 Posts