Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just before I hit it with the media blaster I cringed at the thought of butchering the job. I had the dreaded XD surface rust occasionally and had holster wear down to bare metal so I had to do something about it.

If I had to do it over again I might go with a little finer blast media but I'm happy with it. Hopefully it's durable. I won't find out until I get some night sights for it and start carrying it again. I figure if I'm going to knock the sights out to do this I might as well upgrade them.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
You won't have those problems anymore. :biggrin2:

Thanks. Just before I hit it with the media blaster I cringed at the thought of butchering the job. I had the dreaded XD surface rust occasionally and had holster wear down to bare metal so I had to do something about it.

If I had to do it over again I might go with a little finer blast media but I'm happy with it. Hopefully it's durable. I won't find out until I get some night sights for it and start carrying it again. I figure if I'm going to knock the sights out to do this I might as well upgrade them.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Great job indeed. :congrats:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I coated a RIA 1911 with gunkote after the factory coating started wearing off and I was getting rust from sweat,no more rust problem

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Very nice work... interesting write-up...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I checked out their site and it seems that this product might be superior to most, especially with regards to durability. There certainly is a wide choice of colors available. I have a couple of shottys that are in dire need of a makeover, I may give it a try.
Typically with oven baked finishes, durability is lacking.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I LOVE their K-Phos stuff. Used it after blasting my Saiga-12 and re-coating with Norrell's Moly Resin. Was tricky getting the whole thing in the oven!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Typically with oven baked finishes, durability is lacking.
I believe that's backwards. Air cured stuff is typically a softer finish. I assume you're talking about coatings and not plating? Of course nickel/chrome plate or a hybrid like Robar will be better than a simple cured "paint".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts