Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prayers for the families of those killed and those wounded... was wondering if incidents like this make you reconsider your ccw choice? Many times I carry a J frame 38 spcl snubby in the car and just out around time, but when I go to big box stores or other larger/big group places I carry a CW9 with spare mag as it will give me a bit more distance and power (for summer) and during fall/winter I'll carry a M&P 9c.

Unless I'd go up to carrying a medium to full size gun like a 4" Glock 19/S&W SD9 or full size Glock 17 sized guns, I'm not sure how much of a change you should make in your CCW picks based off of these still relatively very rare events vs every day one on one close in crime. I think I'd still be better off with the smaller and lighter guns that may have lower round count but I'm much more likely to carry them vs the big handgun that weighs a lot and gets left home because it's a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
No, primarily because the chances of being involved in one of these is extremely remote. Chances are hugely in your favor that if you need a gun, it will NOT be for this sort of shooting situation. You are more apt to have to shoot a relative, friend, or other person known to you than you are to have to shoot a complete stranger as you might expect from a typical mugging or other crime incident.

I carry a 1911, regardless.

·
Super Moderator
16,816 Posts
I carry 1911s and don’t worry about round count but these types of incidents remind me to always know where the exits are and what may be used for cover/concealment.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have zero problems carry my Sig P229 (Glock 19 size) every day. Making the switch to AIWB was the best thing I ever did. I do not notice the weight at all. It works for me, but obviously not for everyone.
yeah AIWB isn't my preference. I don't like having the muzzle pointed at my femoral artery or my family jewels, and it's just not comfortable to have a gun and holster there.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
No, they don't. My thoughts:
  • I could carry the biggest, highest capacity handgun out there and still be outgunned by an active shooter with an AR or AK.
  • I am not going to stand and trade rounds with that guy. My strategy is going to be escape and evasion, or out maneuvering.
  • Despite all the press, active shooter incidents are actually pretty rare. It's like aircraft accidents. They are really scary and tragic when they happen, but your real transportation danger is still driving. The chance of being in an active shooter situation is actually pretty low. What is more likely is home invasion, mugging, aggravated assault, etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The cops at the press conference said it took six minutes for leo to arrive.

Given leo responses at other shootings I am mystified that some people think carrying is unnecessary or perpetuates gun violence.

I’m not taking a crack at the cops just of the opinion that they can’t be everywhere at once and until they can get to you it’s on individuals to defend themselves.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I carry, mainly for the rare instance, I may be present when an active shooter incident happens. For the everyday, encounters, I believe just being a polite member of society, with above average situational awareness, and self defense skills, will carry me through anything at the personal level.
For the average self defense situation, close quarters, that rises to a deadly use of force, I'm more likely to use one of my blades. They never run out of ammo, nor malfunction.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34,141 Posts
The cops at the press conference said it took six minutes for leo to arrive.

Given leo responses at other shootings I am mystified that some people think carrying is unnecessary or perpetuates gun violence.

I’m not taking a crack at the cops just of the opinion that they can’t be everywhere at once and until they can get to you it’s on individuals to defend themselves.
Apparently, the guy had already returned to his vehicle and driven away before the police arrived.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nope. SIG P229 in .40 S&W with 2 extra mags. If I'm by myself out and about, I will help people get to safety, but if my wife is with, because of her disability, I may find myself getting her to cover and having the gun drawn and ready to use. I hope it never has to come to that, but I know what I am capable of doing with this gun and train with it often.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I carry what I carry, in large part with mass shootings in mind.
Exactly. If you're firearm can cover certain circumstances, why not expand it to cover a few more? I disregard the 3-3-3 as a rule, and only use it as a starting point. Its not a far stretch to get from a anti mugging tool, to a anti- terrorist attack tool. Most tools can do more than what we ask of them. That being said, I veiw size of firearm and increased capacity / spare ammo as increased insurance. Carry it if you want to, or increase your risk if you don't. How much or how little is up to you. My plans have already been made to include defense against this type of scenario.
Mas Ayoob said "Bad guys don't give breaks to good guys that carry little guns".
Be prepared with the best set of skills and tools you reasonably can be.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
No, primarily because the chances of being involved in one of these is extremely remote. Chances are hugely in your favor that if you need a gun, it will NOT be for this sort of shooting situation. You are more apt to have to shoot a relative, friend, or other person known to you than you are to have to shoot a complete stranger as you might expect from a typical mugging or other crime incident.

I carry a 1911, regardless.
A 1911 loaded with 8 or 9 rounds, weighs 48 ozs. A Glock 19 loaded with 16 rounds, weighs 30 ozs. 7 rounds more 18 ozs less.
Just saying.
My Glock 43X has 11 rounds, very accurate, one spare magazine. 21 total rounds. The 15 round magazine is out now.
It is so comfortable to carry every day, so I do. Rain or shine. Federal 147g Hollow Points. The best.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts