Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
No, it doesn’t make me want to change my EDC - I already carry as much gun as I possibly can.

But it does make me think long and hard about what I would do in such a situation, and whether I’m comfortable with the level of training I currently have. I have to say, that aspect makes me pretty uneasy, honestly. Makes me feel very inadequate in terms of real, practical preparation when the rubber meets the road. I guess that has been my biggest takeaway from the shootings.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Yes, I do change, to a point. When these things happen, you run an increased risk of copy cats, as we unfortunately saw this weekend.

Went to church today, where I usually dress up a bit, meaning tucked-in shirts with nicer shorts. Usually carry what I carry at my non permissive work environment...my dual pocketed LCPs. Today, I put on my G30, and wore a sport coat to cover it. Plus my usual LCP in the opposite pocket, but instead of just one spare mag for it, I added two more on my ankle for a total of three spares. I wore dockers to cover the ankle mag holster.

It worked fine, but I was HOT by the time church was over. Wearing a sport coat and long pants in the heat here is no fun, and not something I will do on a regular basis. But, today wasn't a regular day.

Stopped at a coffee shop after church, and as the family went in to get some refreshments, I got out of the car and took off my sport coat in the parking lot. At that point, I was open carrying, which is legal here. Was glad to be rid of the sport coat!

Oh, and our church is not posted, so carrying there is legal. I just prefer to be discreet about it.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I carry what I can do to dress. Some days Sig 938 and the next time could be a Colt 1911.

Reactions: OD*

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
I am Glad i don't live in Ohio period!..JK that was for Mike1956:smile:
The strain of a winning college football program would likely be more than you could bear.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The strain of a winning college football program would likely be more than you could bear.
I have lived that...But you guys got us now that's for sure...Things have way of going cycles.
All great coaches have to leave sometime...Finding the next right guy is tough.
We are both gonna find out if the next guy is right guy...No question about it.:smile:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I will admit to making sure the mags are topped up, or throwing an extra one on the belt, but no change in the weapons.

Reactions: kerberos

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes and no. As was mentioned, I consider that there is a real risk of copycats in the week or so after these things. I considered carrying the Defender at church under a sport jacket, but decided that where my church is located is about as low-risk as there is. However, when we went to Sam's later, I had the 19X with a spare 19 rd, plus the P365 as a BUG, with a spare mag for it as well.

They have, however, made me decide to log more range time, and with greater than SD ranges.

The two most recent ones have also served to make me consider carrying a 4" Python until I can get my distance accuracy better with the 19x/Defender. I have NO problem with it, other than capacity, and speedloaders not being very concealable.

·
Registered
938 Posts
...I considered carrying the Defender at church under a sport jacket, but decided that where my church is located is about as low-risk as there is...
I suggest that there is no such thing, nowadays, as a low-risk location.

For instance, I live on a small, and somewhat isolated island. The permanent population is about 4,500, and all of us know one-another. And yet, the most recent time when I had to access my 24/7/365 carry piece was right here, right at my own kitchen door. (Truth: It was almost 10 years ago, and he wasn't an islander.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rephrase it a bit. Do mass shootings make you more inclined to actually carry a gun full-time, if at all?

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but clearly, not many are carrying at any given time currently.
Yes. Straight up. I used to live the The People’s Republik. Last year we moved to AZ, where constitutional carry is the law, with some additional benefits afforded you if you have permit. I wanted to carry in the Republik due to frequent criminal activity nearby. But, our county sheriff was pretty much a “no issue” sheriff until a couple years back when he almost lost his seat. Then he changed his tune and started issuing...but the process takes 18-20 months, for a 2 year permit...get the permit and start over almost immediately. Now that we live in AZ, and feel so much more safe in our neighborhood, sometimes I neglect or forget to strap on my piece. I’m thinking that, with all the s**t going on in the world, I’d better be a bit more diligent in exercising my right to be armed. Change my firearm? Nah. I’ll stick with my p365 most days.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I suggest that there is no such thing, nowadays, as a low-risk location.

For instance, I live on a small, and somewhat isolated island. The permanent population is about 4,500, and all of us know one-another. And yet, the most recent time when I had to access my 24/7/365 carry piece was right here, right at my own kitchen door. (Truth: It was almost 10 years ago, and he wasn't an islander.)
While what you say may be true, that there is no such thing as a a low-risk location, there are locations that are lower risk than others. For example, there are some islands in Washington state that are, like many places there,tourist destinations. I used to live out there when I was stationed there. However, where I live now is much more of a 'drive-through' area than a tourist destination. Our town is LITERALLY a rest stop on the interstate smack dab in between two major cities, with a population 1/7th of your island. Our church is small - REALLY REALLY small, as in "We *could* host services in my basement and not be uncomfortable" small. The only thing that, in my mind, elevates our risk of a terrorist attack, besides being a Baptist church, is our demographics, (about 85% Black) which is why I considered the Colt yesterday in the first place.

I understand that invasions can happen any where, any time, but the OP question was regarding mass shootings.

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
I have always prepared for the worst and prayed for the best. My only response to mass shooting events is make sure everything is clean and ready to go to war, if needed.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
While these events haven't changed my carry of choice, it has made me do something for someone else.

A coworker has been talking about needing a gun for HD and possible SD (once he takes the class). I have shown him different guns through the years, but today, I showed him one that I am in the process of selling. I showed it to him specifically because of what is happening lately. I want him and his wife to have protection at home. I let him take my Walther home to try out today. If he decides he wants it, he will get a really good deal on it. I want him to feel safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, to some degree. My thing is first, you must carry. I live in NYS, so there's that. Anyhow, my big thing is concealment. With that in mind I've gotten comfortable here in the summer with my LCP II. Well, that is an up close weapon. I don't see myself running up to a guy with an AK and my accuracy at 75' isn't that great looking at paper. With that in mind, I have my Sig 365 on my hip now. I understand I am outgunned in this particular scenario but faced with it, and this shows that yes, it could happen. From cover at a higher distance I have a better chance of at least slowing him down.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
After some thought, it occurred to me that the Carson City shootings were the ones that made me reconsider my carry piece. Consistent hits at distance are essential in my carry choices.

Reactions: Pete63 and OD*

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm not happy with my choice but I don't see it changing anytime soon...

I carry the largest pistol that I feel conceals well along with one spare mag.

My ideal choice would be slinging a rifle as EDC as well...

:hand15:

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I carry a 5" 1911 with a spare magazine in the local urban area. No changes here.
Same here. Only change may be to go from a single mag carrier to a double.
I was thinking of a way to keep my rifle in my Jeep if I could only find a way to keep it concealed and secure.
But I hate keeping firearms in my vehicles anymore.

81 - 100 of 183 Posts