Defensive Carry banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
These incidents don't change my carry choices one iota. Even after a weekend which saw two nut-jobs go out on a killing spree, the chances of me actually being in the location where one transpires is so incredibly low that it doesn't enter into the calculus. Think about it, two whack-jobs go berzerk on a given weekend out of roughly 340 million people in the country.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
228 Posts
No change
1. Either HK P2000 or HK P30SK with backup mag
2. Won't enter a GFZ
3. Only exceptions to carry 24/7: competition, sleep

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Especially at Walmart!!!

I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open carry w/o permit etc.) in my book is to CARRY A GUN! I don't care if I'm making a "quick" run to Wal-Mart or some other grocery or department store, walking with my wife through our neighbourhood, going to the park, riding bikes, the movies, a restaurant, bowling, out to lunch or dinner or even to church; I ALWAY CARRY MY GUN....ALWAYS!!!

I live by the "ABC's" meaning; Always Be Carrying!
When it comes to defending and protecting my life, I'M THE FIRST RESPONDER! :badguy:

Reactions: Militant

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open carry w/o permit etc.) in my book is to CARRY A GUN! I don't care if I'm making a "quick" run to Wal-Mart or some other grocery or department store, walking with my wife through our neighbourhood, going to the park, riding bikes, the movies, a restaurant, bowling, out to lunch or dinner or even to church; I ALWAY CARRY MY GUN....ALWAYS!!!

When it comes to defending and protecting my life, I'M THE FIRST RESPONDER! :badguy:
A THOUSAND likes, Brother Mil ! :headbang:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

I explained this to a coworker in different terms just yesterday.

It's like wearing your seat belt in your car. You may be going across the street, down the road 1 mile, or 500 miles. You put your seat belt on regardless. The problem is not how you drive or anything else you control while driving, but what the other driver may do, which is unpredictable. We drive defensively, and we should carry defensively.

The best part about this conversation is that his 18 year old son was sitting in the room listening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I start changing things I confuse myself. A S&W 360 in a Superfly, and a 442 in an ankle glove, all day every day. And 2 speed strips in the watch pocket in case things get really wonky.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
I carry my XD 40 or my Glock 43. Since I can't carry my AR-15 I can't worry too much about being caught up in an extremely unusual situation.

·
Registered
127 Posts
my usual suburban tooling around ccw choices are a 38 s&w 642, or something ruger in 22lr, either a lcr or sr22. i’m much more practiced, and thus consistently center mass accurate out to 50’, with the sr22. a naa mini 22lr is an always backup.

if im thinking el paso walmart shooter, i feel more confident engaging at longer distances with the sr22, if i cannot simply egress out of danger. so which is better: confidently hitting with ten rounds of softer ammo at longer range, with faster reloads, or harder hitting ammo that is only reliably accurate at shorter ranges?

i know that most ccw encounters are at close range after dark under 3 shots if any, but i’m more apt to be in a shopping mall in daylight than i am to be in a 7-11 gas station at night.

these days buying other handguns or paracticing alot more with the 38 are not really options. so which partner do i bring to the dance: the soft spoken, comfortable, leggy one or the short, hot sparkplug?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I've carried a 9mm Glock of some sort for the past 12 years now. Lately I've been carrying the G43X which has been a good compromise between the G19 and G43 for me. I can get the concealability of the 43 and still get a full grip like the G19 plus a little bit more firepower squeezed in when compared to the regular G43.

These recent mass shootings haven't changed my routine for the most part.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Prayers for the families of those killed and those wounded... was wondering if incidents like this make you reconsider your ccw choice? Many times I carry a J frame 38 spcl snubby in the car and just out around time, but when I go to big box stores or other larger/big group places I carry a CW9 with spare mag as it will give me a bit more distance and power (for summer) and during fall/winter I'll carry a M&P 9c.

Unless I'd go up to carrying a medium to full size gun like a 4" Glock 19/S&W SD9 or full size Glock 17 sized guns, I'm not sure how much of a change you should make in your CCW picks based off of these still relatively very rare events vs every day one on one close in crime. I think I'd still be better off with the smaller and lighter guns that may have lower round count but I'm much more likely to carry them vs the big handgun that weighs a lot and gets left home because it's a pain in the rear.
Over thinking it. The bottomline if you specifically refer to the El Paso incident you have over a thousand or two thousand back to school free tax day mothers and grandmothers for the most part as the victims. Soft targets and quite frankly Sheeps awaiting the slaughter. This sick AHOLE knew this fact and took advantage of it and that is why he reined down death with easy success than walked away and surrendered like a coward biotch he was. I wish there would have been just one armed person in that store willing to step up among the craziness of it all and put a round in his grape like the brave and awesome Police did in the Dayton shooting stopping that nut before he made it in the Night club. I don't make any real allowances for my off duty carry I just use different options for my comfort depending on the day. As long as it's 45acp 9mm 357mag 10mm or 40sw all using excellent ammo two to five rounds to the dome should do the job. Prepared would be carrying a long gun at sling arms but one can't do that without raising eyebrows ofcourse.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts

If history has taught us anything it is to carry at Walmart.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Over thinking it. The bottomline if you specifically refer to the El Paso incident you have over a thousand or two thousand back to school free tax day mothers and grandmothers for the most part as the victims. Soft targets and quite frankly Sheeps awaiting the slaughter. This sick AHOLE knew this fact and took advantage of it and that is why he reined down death with easy success than walked away and surrendered like a coward biotch he was. I wish there would have been just one armed person in that store willing to step up among the craziness of it all and put a round in his grape like the brave and awesome Police did in the Dayton shooting stopping that nut before he made it in the Night club. I don't make any real allowances for my off duty carry I just use different options for my comfort depending on the day. As long as it's 45acp 9mm 357mag 10mm or 40sw all using excellent ammo two to five rounds to the dome should do the job. Prepared would be carrying a long gun at sling arms but one can't do that without raising eyebrows ofcourse.
Agree...But not as many carry as the anti gun left wing media would like the public to believe.
I also agree on your caliber choices.:smile:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I haven't changed my carry, but... one of the reasons both my carry weapons (Snubby and LCR 9) have instinctive activation lasers (crimson trace) is more for the longer shot in an active shooter situation.

·
Registered
568 Posts
No, I always have at least 11 rounds and my first option will be to escape not trade rounds with a guy with a long gun
That is exactly why so many perished. It's only natural during such chaos to flee even if you are armed. That's also why i said I wish at least ONE person who "was" armed would have walked up and put one in his grape. You avoid trading fire but you act when the attention isn't on you and you act decisively with extreme violence and you take him out. Unload in the back of his skull or in the side of his head when he's looking elsewhere. Anyone that is carrying concealed needs to prepare to act with extreme violence.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
That event didn't change a thing for me except to reinforce the need to be ever vigilant... Within reason, the size of a gun I carry isn't a determining factor and I do prefer a pistol with relatively high capacity (10-15 rounds). I also like my back-up magazine to be of the extended capacity type (15 round for my P365 and 21 round for my P320).

141 - 160 of 183 Posts