Defensive Carry banner

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
"Do mass shootings make you more inclined to actually carry a gun full-time, if at all?"

No. It's like being hit by lightning. Odds are so slim that it will ever happen, it is not worth worrying about. I'm more concerned with car jackings.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
When I started carrying, as a young LEO in 1984, incidents such as the University of Texas tower, and the Newhall massacre, were considerations. There have been plenty of incidents since then, to validate my level of concern. So, no, the recent El Paso and Ohio incidents have not caused me to reconsider anything.

Edited to add: I have long been cognizant of the danger to being trampled to death, in the stampede of fleeing people. Running away is something to be considered, especially now that that I am retired, older, slower, and with no “duty to respond,” but fleeing is not, necessarily, a best practice.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Regarding the risk level of Wal-Marts, and similar mega-stores, I have always considered them to be hot spots for violent crime, relative to the areas in which they are located.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open carry w/o permit etc.) in my book is to CARRY A GUN! I don't care if I'm making a "quick" run to Wal-Mart or some other grocery or department store, walking with my wife through our neighbourhood, going to the park, riding bikes, the movies, a restaurant, bowling, out to lunch or dinner or even to church; I ALWAY CARRY MY GUN....ALWAYS!!!

I live by the "ABC's" meaning; Always Be Carrying!
When it comes to defending and protecting my life, I'M THE FIRST RESPONDER! :badguy:
Working at a company that does not allow any firearms on site, so no ccw.
Stop in at a store on the way home, Walmart or others , but not carrying.

I suppose to carry would have to drive home, get you ccw then drive back to wherever you go.

Also during work day go off property for lunch or conference. Not an option.
Really there are times when concealed carriers do not carry.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Nope, I'll be with Old Vet playing wakamole in the liquor section for the exit or the end, regardless.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I explained this to a coworker in different terms just yesterday.

It's like wearing your seat belt in your car. You may be going across the street, down the road 1 mile, or 500 miles. You put your seat belt on regardless. The problem is not how you drive or anything else you control while driving, but what the other driver may do, which is unpredictable. We drive defensively, and we should carry defensively.

The best part about this conversation is that his 18 year old son was sitting in the room listening.
What if some people treated wearing seatbelts like they do carry, worn as perceived risk increases.

Carry example:
Chance carry hierarchy based on location rather than unpredictable psychopathic criminal action.
Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = pocket 380 (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, 380 is acceptable)
Into town/city further from home = 9mm IWB (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, at least 9mm desired)
"Indian Country" (they never leave, you go to them) = At least 9mm and spare mag - just in case in case somebody(s) try to kill me ...

2nd level was going to be yellow, but yellow doesn't show well enough, so that pinkish color.

Now apply that predictive ability to seatbelt use based on location rather than distracted, unpredictable other drivers:
Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = No seat belt - drive car slow in case of head on collision with F150
Into town/city further from home = Wear seat belt in case of head on collision with F150
Highway = Wear seat belt and drive SUV in case of head on collision with F150

Surprise, surprise, most car wrecks happen within a few miles of home. Predictive ability is a bit elusive at times, apparently.

Reactions: M1911A1

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
What if some people treated wearing seatbelts like they do carry, worn as perceived risk increases.

Carry example:
Chance carry hierarchy based on location rather than unpredictable psychopathic criminal action.
Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = pocket 380 (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, 380 is acceptable)
Into town/city further from home = 9mm IWB (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, at least 9mm desired)
"Indian Country" (they never leave, you go to them) = At least 9mm and spare mag - just in case in case somebody(s) try to kill me ...

2nd level was going to be yellow, but yellow doesn't show well enough, so that pinkish color.

Now apply that predictive ability to seatbelt use based on location rather than distracted, unpredictable other drivers:
Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = No seat belt - drive car slow in case of head on collision with F150
Into town/city further from home = Wear seat belt in case of head on collision with F150
Highway = Wear seat belt and drive SUV in case of head on collision with F150

Surprise, surprise, most car wrecks happen within a few miles of home. Predictive ability is a bit elusive at times, apparently.
Yes...People who find a micro .380 acceptable for a trip to the store etc... But need a larger caliber with more rounds when going elsewhere...Must
have a skill i have not acquired...The ability to predict when and where something may happen and the manner it may happen in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, changing our ways

The shootings n EP and Dayton have caused us to change our ways. This really hit home for us as my wife and I were both raised in El Paso. We have shopped at that Walmart. We both still have family there.

While we have both had our LTC for some time, we rarely carry though always have a firearm in each vehicle. That’s changing. We’re both carrying now. Sadly, we both have jobs that prohibit carrying at work.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Yes...People who find a micro .380 acceptable for a trip to the store etc... But need a larger caliber with more rounds when going elsewhere...Must
have a skill i have not acquired...The ability to predict when and where something may happen and the manner it may happen in.
More than just human predictive ability, a resource:

Reactions: Cornhusker95

·
Registered
568 Posts
Never trade rounds....never trade anything...go direct and commit then dominate. That's just my philosophy i learned from being a Marine and a veteran Police Officer. Always take cover and asses the situation but when you go go hard and don't let up until the threat is stopped. That might sound too gung ho but there is validity to my point.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
It hasn't changed my carry pistol type, but it has made me always carry. If firearms are not allowed somewhere, I'll do my best to avoid those areas.

Reactions: M1911A1

·
Registered
54 Posts
This shooting (and I suppose all the recent ones) have me getting ready to trade in my G43 for a Sig P365 only because of the extra capacity in the same size package.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Working at a company that does not allow any firearms on site, so no ccw.
Stop in at a store on the way home, Walmart or others , but not carrying.

I suppose to carry would have to drive home, get you ccw then drive back to wherever you go.

Also during work day go off property for lunch or conference. Not an option.
Really there are times when concealed carriers do not carry.
If you practice your skills as often as possible--for instance dry-firing daily, and live-firing every weekend--you could very well defend yourself with a pistol that would be completely undetectable by anything short of a metal-detecting wand or portal.
The pistol would be pocket-carry size, and it would reside in your pocket within a holster which definitely conceals the gun's shape and mass. Its reload would be in a balancing pocket, in a similar container.

How do I know this? Because that's how I carried a .45 ACP pocket pistol for a little longer than 20 years. And that's how my wife carries her .380 ACP pocket pistol even today.

All it takes is high-quality, small weaponry, and lots and lots of practice.

...And remember: Concealed means concealed.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you practice your skills as often as possible--for instance dry-firing daily, and live-firing every weekend--you could very well defend yourself with a pistol that would be completely undetectable by anything short of a metal-detecting wand or portal.
The pistol would be pocket-carry size, and it would reside in your pocket within a holster which definitely conceals the gun's shape and mass. Its reload would be in a balancing pocket, in a similar container.

How do I know this? Because that's how I carried a .45 ACP pocket pistol for a little longer than 20 years. And that's how my wife carries her .380 ACP pocket pistol even today.

All it takes is high-quality, small weaponry, and lots and lots of practice.

...And remember: Concealed means concealed.
It is not advisable to do that at a federal protected zone of a nuclear power plant.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It is not advisable to do that at a federal protected zone of a nuclear power plant.
OK, so if that's the case, while you're at work, leave your protective weapon locked into a pistol "vault" in your parked car.
Or do you walk to work, or take public transportation?

·
Registered
241 Posts
No I carry my Sig 938 and reciently picked up a Springfield 911 9mm I carry an extra 7rd mag.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, so if that's the case, while you're at work, leave your protective weapon locked into a pistol "vault" in your parked car.
Or do you walk to work, or take public transportation?
Cannot bring firearms on site. Security can search all vehicles.

Not all employment have this level of security. Just providing example of employment that limits carry or possession.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts