Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
For the last few years I've pocket carried a Springfield XDS .45 in a pocket holster. I started out doing this just around the house and my own neighborhood.

I want to carry my other pistols just as comfortably, but I have finally accepted a fact of life: I don't care for IWB carry. Yes, I know it offers the best concealment, but I hate putting an IWB holster on and taking it off. I also hate the way it feels when I sit down. I'm also not crazy about having to wear looser pants to accommodate an IWB holster. I have a locker full of IWB holsters I've bought over the years, each time thinking, "This will be the RIGHT one!"

In case any of you are wondering, no, I'm not fat.

So in short, do any of you carry concealed OWB? And if so, what do you carry and in what holster?
Everyday. Then I am in northeastern PA. My usual cover is an unbuttoned Columbia shirt.

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
Ya pretty much have to wear an oversized t shirt to cover OWB. A tucked in t shirt with an untucked button up, left unbuttoned has worked the best for me over the years.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,894 Posts
I always go back to OWB carry in a leather pancake style holster covered by an untucked shirt. I carry a 5" 1911 with a spare magazine from the time I get dressed until it goes on the nightstand when I go to bed. For a second gun or deep concealment, I go with a pocket holster. Here is my D.M. Bullard Combat holster in Brown Tiger Shark leather with a sweat shield. In the summer, I wear a very thin A-shirt underneath. In the winter, I wear a heavy T-shirt underneath. The pocket holster is a Ted Blocker pocket holster.

Holsters.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Carry G19 with dot in a Blackhawk OWB 3-3:30 everyday. Wear a compression shirt with a loose Columbia lightweight shirt or a nice untuck made dress shirt for church security. I snug belt up to help snug weapon close to not print.

·
Registered
610 Posts
For the last few years I've pocket carried a Springfield XDS .45 in a pocket holster. I started out doing this just around the house and my own neighborhood.

I want to carry my other pistols just as comfortably, but I have finally accepted a fact of life: I don't care for IWB carry. Yes, I know it offers the best concealment, but I hate putting an IWB holster on and taking it off. I also hate the way it feels when I sit down. I'm also not crazy about having to wear looser pants to accommodate an IWB holster. I have a locker full of IWB holsters I've bought over the years, each time thinking, "This will be the RIGHT one!"

So in short, do any of you carry concealed OWB? And if so, what do you carry and in what holster?
Depends on the firearm.
Glock 30SF and Sig P365 I use a Bianchi foldaway.
Glock 19X and Colt Defender, I use a Bianchi pancake
Full-size 1911, I use a Tagua pancake.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I got an inexpensive kydex owb when i got a sig 365 since its thin. I cannot tell much of a difference owb with this setup over iwb, so i like the better accessibility. One thing I do wonder about with OWB is the need for better retention?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I carried a 5 inch 1911 for years because it was what I had. Now carrying a commander most of the time. As most have said a good pancake type of holster with a sweat shield carried about 4-4:30 and a loose cover shirt and you are goooood to go. I might even try to get a picture.

·
Super Moderator
50,577 Posts
I am always wearing a summer t-shirt (wife beater) under a bit larger regular t-shirt...or a regular t-ahirt under a Florida print shirt. My Glock-26 is carried in a leather OWB holster at about 3:30. Almost all of my holsters have an additional 'sweat guard' built into the holster.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
About 90% of my holsters are @NelsonHolsters OWB Wranglers or Defenders. The others are a pocket holster and two IWB holsters (Stealth and Phoenix II) that I use when I absolutely can't print.

The IWB work even in the South Texas heat. The OWB (and IWB) have a sweat shield like you are looking for and are the most comfortable I've found.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When I carry my Glock 19 4th Gen, it goes into the old Glock Sports holster. Polymer. Cost me $13.00? Years ago.
I trimmed it down, so I could feel the extractor. "Yes I have a round in the chamber" With cutting the slots correctly, it is almost straight up and down, a little bit of an FBI cant. It weighs nothing. Just above the hip bone at about 3-30 or 4 o'clock?

My latest acquisition, the Glock 43X, rides in a Galco BG800B held in by a clip grip at the trigger guard. Same place on the belt.
The Blaggard? This is the first issue, the nickel like finish? I like it, it shows no marks or scratches anywhere.
Really slim and weighs nothing! 11 rounds? Plus a ten-round spare. When the 15 round magazine is available, I will have one of those. (Or not) That belt, by the way, a Frequent Flier one, the Instructor version, quite stiff.

When I carried a S&W Revolver, I was happy with 6-38s and a speed loader with 6 more. Then a LW Commander, with 8 and one.
And a spare 8 rounder, Mack-Cormick magazines?

Going really back! A Browning Hi-Power, 14 rounds of Sub Gun ammo! 13+1 magazine block gone. Wee tinny sights? So? Who used those things then? Now Ameriglo, oh yes.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have in the past. I've simply covered it with a coat or an untucked shirt. I used kydex holsters (generally they are "quieter" than leather) from Bravo and a couple of other well known kydex holster companies and was quite happy with the setup. Over the last couple of years I have gone to AIWB just because it offers better concealment and facilitates access to the gun.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Another often-asked question that a Search would answer.

I would hope everyone here goes OWB. Which of my 80-holsters do you want to know about?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Yes. The what depends on how I feel. These are all Nelson's.

IMG_0700.jpg

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Yes OWB my G19 or G27 mostly, in a kydex pancake holster with adjustable retention, under a t-shirt in warm wx and a sweatshirt or an untucked overshirt in cooler wx.

Reactions: TSKnight

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This holster honestly wouldn't have been my first choice, but.... I want to see if I like OWB carry. If I do, then I'll probably get a couple more holsters with a more specific fit.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts