Defensive Carry banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts
Since you've already bought a holster, all I can add is advice about the covering garment.

I wear a vest.
In the summer, it's lightweight cotton. In the winter, it's fleece.
My vest is always open, so presentation is only an easy hand-sweep away.
But I also practice drawing from under a closed vest. That's easiest when the vest is fleece, because it's soft.

You have to choose carefully, to make sure that the vest covers your rig when you bend over to pick something up.
That shouldn't be a difficult choice, considering all of the available vests out there.
My doctor wears a Filson vest, which is wool and very warm. Mine are less expensive.

Do not buy a "shoot me first" photographer's vest. It's too obvious.

P.S.: I am not particularly in favor of leather holsters which are not wet-formed to fit the specific pistol. I also do not like holsters which leave the gun's muzzle hanging out in the breeze, since hitting it against something can make a mess, particularly of your front sight.
Having written that, I must note that I am no longer capable of making my own holsters, so I have to get others to make them for me. That cuts the choice down a bit 'cause I gotta take what they make.
I suggest that Galco makes the best ready-made rigs, and good belts too. My EDC, however, is in a holster made for me by Ed Buffaloe.

Get the best, stiffest belt that you can afford. The belt is just as important as the holster. Try Bullhide Belts, The Beltman, and Galco.

Reactions: TSKnight
I daily carry owb a s&w m&p 2.0 in 40. Work days, it's a Comp-Tac QB-2 Kydex. This is because work is an NPE, so it's easy to take off and stick in the safe in the truck. Off work, I prefer a Galco Fletch high ride. For those times I go iwb, I use a Galco summer comfort. Even with the grip stippling it doesn't bother me to have the grip against my skin. Normal cover is a t-shirt, sometimes I'm that guy with the tucked in t-shirt and an unbuttoned shirt over it. Eventually, I'd like to pick up some of those compression shirts that have the holster built into the armpit, just for fun.

I have found two OWB concealment holsters that I like. The first I will mention is Kramer Holsters. They make a firm horse-hide holster.

For the other end of the price range, I like Outlaw Holsters. On those, I reverse the belt loops so that the holster is inside my belt.

I typically order the Outlaw Holsters from Amazon. The Kramer Holsters, I order directly from his website.

Reactions: SpringerXD
My EDC gun is a Glock 19, made the switch in 2005 (before that my EDC gun was my Duty SIG P226 or P220 and off duty P225 or P239). I carried my SIGs and still carry my 19, in a Kramer horsehide OWB belt scabbard during the Spring, Fall, and Winter months. During the Summer and when I need/want more concealment I will use one of my IWB holsters.

Been using the Kramer horsehide OWB belt scabbard since the early 90s. BEST OWB HOLSTER period! - my opinion of course :smile:

I have just begun carrying OWB for the last couple of days and I’m really liking it. I carry a PPQ SC in a Bravo Concealment OWB Kydex rig. Tight to the body, light weight, and very concealable with the right shirt. Much preferred so far over IWB.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
I have just begun carrying OWB for the last couple of days and I’m really liking it. I carry a PPQ SC in a Bravo Concealment OWB Kydex rig. Tight to the body, light weight, and very concealable with the right shirt. Much preferred so far over IWB.
My holster is supposed to arrive today, so I'll get to try it today or tomorrow.

I use a high ride belly band at about 4 to 5 O'Clock, also saved me money on not having to get liposuction :embarassed: I also like the OWB's as well when the clothing is more amenable. AIWB just isn't for me for sure.

I carry OWB all the time, I rarely go IWB just because I'm a big guy and many others have stated all the reasons I don't carry IWB that often. As for the gear, if I want to carry and not worry about printing at all, I wear the plastic holster set from on-your-six designs. The holster and mag pouch hug the gun and mags up very close to the body so there's no printing and a light vest or jacket or unbuttoned shirt can be worn over a t-shirt and it works great. On the other hand, if it's ultimate comfort, I use the versa carry leather commander setup with a built in mag pouch, although I also have a double mag pouch for that one as well. As comfort goes, that is the most comfortable carry holster I've ever worn, hands down..........

Attachments

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with Versacarry. Their prices are very nice, too.

Your rig looks fantastic, but I have a question..... is there another belt loop somewhere on the forward side that we don't see in the picture? If not, then how is it secured on the front side?

Yes there is another loop underneath the mag pouch portion of the holster. That one cost me $34.99 I think with the “Come and Take it” monogram, and I think the deal for holster and belt both was $50.

I figured since they were fellow Texans I was obligated to do my “Bidness” with them. I’m very satisfied with the quality and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Yes there is another loop underneath the mag pouch portion of the holster. That one cost me $34.99 I think with the “Come and Take it” monogram, and I think the deal for holster and belt both was $50.

I figured since they were fellow Texans I was obligated to do my “Bidness” with them. I’m very satisfied with the quality and comfort.
Outstanding. I've bookmarked their site and looking at the Commander S3.

As a "former naturalized Texan" myself, I can see giving them my "bidness," also.

:smile:

...I wasn't familiar with Versacarry. Their prices are very nice, too...
Think about the fact that you are willing to carry your $600.00 pistol in a belt-and-holster rig that will cost $50.00.
The normal rule-of-thumb is that the holster and belt should cost about 1/3 of the price of the gun. And more gets you better.

The Versacarry holster shown is made of a single layer of soft leather. The soft leather will stretch and flex, leaving your pistol loose and insecure in its pouch. This makes both presentation and (really necessary) reholstering difficult and clumsy.

Further, carrying both pistol and reload on the same side of your body makes reloading difficult and slow. You will have to reach across your entire front,in order to grab your reload with your weak-side hand.

It's your money, and you have to make the choice, but the Versacarry is not something that I would buy and use.
Try this test: Hold your pistol in your strong-side (normal shooting) hand. Now, reach across your body for the reload. It's awkward, isn't it? But now think about doing it while prone behind some minimal cover. That makes it almost impossible.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Think about the fact that you are willing to carry your $600.00 pistol in a belt-and-holster rig that will cost $50.00.
The normal rule-of-thumb is that the holster and belt should cost about 1/3 of the price of the gun. And more gets you better.

The Versacarry holster shown is made of a single layer of soft leather. The soft leather will stretch and flex, leaving your pistol loose and insecure in its pouch. This makes both presentation and (really necessary) reholstering difficult and clumsy.

Further, carrying both pistol and reload on the same side of your body makes reloading difficult and slow. You will have to reach across your entire front,in order to grab your reload with your weak-side hand.

It's your money, and you have to make the choice, but the Versacarry is not something that I would buy and use.
Try this test: Hold your pistol in your strong-side (normal shooting) hand. Now, reach across your body for the reload. It's awkward, isn't it? But now think about doing it while prone behind some minimal cover. That makes it almost impossible.
I don't necessarily agree about the "1/3 the price of the gun" principle. The ONE and only product I like from Uncle Mike's is their instructor belt, which I wear daily, and I would be totally confident wearing it with any gun on the planet. There are also some decent holsters at a fair price.

I do agree about the magazine location. I'm right-handed and would want the mag reachable by the left hand.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.