Defensive Carry banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts
I don't like IWB because I can't get my belt tight enough to hold my pants up without digging the gun into my side.

The magic word is: Suspenders.

Specifically Perry brand with clips that that slip under your gunbelt. Don't leave home without it!

Regarding the Versacarry being soft and clumsy:

Not so much. It is a single layer but it is a thick one. As for the difficulty reholstering, the only time I really unholster the gun is when I get home and I’m removing it. The rest of the time it stays holstered unless needed.

I do heartily agree about the mag pouch included on the holster. For the record, I bought the double mag pouch and wear it on my left side with the spare mags. If I were inclined to buy a third mag, it would reside there as a backup, but if you follow a good tactical strategy you shouldn’t ever find yourself in a protracted gun battle where you would need that third magazine as you had best be getting your way out of trouble not sticking around. I’ve had all kinds of holsters and change them out every 5 years or so because of wear, and I can promise everyone here this stuff is as heavily constructed as you’ll find at this price point and when I’m not at work, use the setup every day when I’m out and about and it is really easy to forget it’s there which IMHO is a testament to how comfortable they are.

In fact, 2 weeks ago I walked right into the local SAPD substation to pick up my son who is in the explorer cadet post there training for a spot in the academy when he graduates high school. Of course, the officers noticed and I thought I was screwed. Instead, they invited me back and we had some fun talking guns and of course, they all had to check out the Springfield EMP which was a big hit. I thanked them profusely for being merciful with this law abiding citizen and they told me no problem, thanks for sending a future officer their way.

We will all be putting in some range time in the near future their patrol Sargent assured me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #64 ·
Update: So much for me and OWB. I tried it today with the new holster, wearing a really baggy t-shirt. It printed regardless of what position I slid it around to. Once I got back home from my walk, I slipped on one of the Alien Gear IWB rigs for comparison. The gun completely disappeared.

So until jacket weather returns, it'll be IWB if I want to carry anything bigger than the XDS 45.

...I find iwb uncomfortable and prefer owb. Unfortunately it cannot be done with a t-shirt imo.
No, but it can be done very well with a lightweight vest. I believe it's fashionable to wear a light vest over a tucked-in T-shirt.
I have two: one brown, one black. They're just long enough to completely cover a pistol carried OWB at "3:00."

I also have fleece vests, similarly long, for cold weather.

My doctor wears a Filson wool vest to cover his defense weapon, but that's a little rich for my blood.

Filson? Oooh la la!

Reactions: Rock and Glock
Nobody has mentioned my technique, so here goes.

On a Kydex OWB holster with the screw in clips, like this:

Brown Bag Beige Handbag Footwear

Technology Electronic device Buckle Belt

Reverse the belt clips from the inside of the holster to the outside. Use a slightly larger belt and run it over the outside of the holster instead of around behind it. If you're anything like me, it will simply disappear and printing will be a thing of the past.

BTW this is a $39 Outlaw Holster but a lot of others will work. So will soft loops.

No, but it can be done very well with a lightweight vest. I believe it's fashionable to wear a light vest over a tucked-in T-shirt.
I have two: one brown, one black. They're just long enough to completely cover a pistol carried OWB at "3:00."

I also have fleece vests, similarly long, for cold weather.

My doctor wears a Filson wool vest to cover his defense weapon, but that's a little rich for my blood.
What kind of lightweights vests do you have?

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Nobody has mentioned my technique, so here goes.

On a Kydex OWB holster with the screw in clips, like this:

View attachment 302070

View attachment 302072

Reverse the belt clips from the inside of the holster to the outside. Use a slightly larger belt and run it over the outside of the holster instead of around behind it. If you're anything like me, it will simply disappear and printing will be a thing of the past.

BTW this is a $39 Outlaw Holster but a lot of others will work. So will soft loops.
I've thought about trying this with the new pancake holster. That is, run the belt so that it goes around the outside of the holster.

I have nothing to lose by trying, because when wearing it the "correct" way, I can't conceal it for squat.

I find that OWB is far more comfortable for me than IWB. I own a Galco Combat Master for my Beretta 92 compact and a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my Taurus PT92 with a picatinny rail attached. Both are OWB.

Reactions: sparkyfender
What kind of lightweights vests do you have?
The black one is very lightweight cotton by Royal Robbins.
The brown one is lightweight waxed cotton by Madison Creek.
Neither are "photographers' vests" because they are what amateur concealed-weapons carriers use, and they scream, "Shoot me first."
Both of my lightweight vests were purchased from a remainder-sales house which used to be called the Sierra Trading Post: https://www.sierra.com/
But you might also try another remainder-sales house, Campmor: https://www.campmor.com/

@Militant: Oooh La La !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I OWC or pocket carry.

I have never IWB, AIWB, or any of those alternatives.

I am officially a curmudgeon. I do not change.

Reactions: Militant and OD*
Yes, I do.

I carry my Sig P226 in a TT Gunleather Competition Cut OWB Scabbed at 3:00

I finally figured out that I personally didn’t like an IWB, or AIWB carry method

For the last few years I've pocket carried a Springfield XDS .45 in a pocket holster. I started out doing this just around the house and my own neighborhood.

I want to carry my other pistols just as comfortably, but I have finally accepted a fact of life: I don't care for IWB carry. Yes, I know it offers the best concealment, but I hate putting an IWB holster on and taking it off. I also hate the way it feels when I sit down. I'm also not crazy about having to wear looser pants to accommodate an IWB holster. I have a locker full of IWB holsters I've bought over the years, each time thinking, "This will be the RIGHT one!"

In case any of you are wondering, no, I'm not fat.

So in short, do any of you carry concealed OWB? And if so, what do you carry and in what holster?

SpringerXD I have a couple real good owb holsters too and maybe if I had a 30inch waist and big ole broad shoulders like 40 years ago I could owb again . But reality is a MTAC and comp-tac neutral for 15 or 16 years before than have been my go to holsters of long day comfort and quality concealment at 3:00 with some thing the size of a 4.25 m&p under a carhartt force demont t shirt . There cut a little fuller around the waist but also have a cheap safariland 27 for a lw commander and have yet to order a nice leather iwb . That cheapy just works and its suede lined but they don't cover a lot of handguns with it .

61 - 80 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.