Defensive Carry banner

Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster?

12K views 95 replies 69 participants last post by  Struckat 
#1 ·
For the last few years I've pocket carried a Springfield XDS .45 in a pocket holster. I started out doing this just around the house and my own neighborhood.

I want to carry my other pistols just as comfortably, but I have finally accepted a fact of life: I don't care for IWB carry. Yes, I know it offers the best concealment, but I hate putting an IWB holster on and taking it off. I also hate the way it feels when I sit down. I'm also not crazy about having to wear looser pants to accommodate an IWB holster. I have a locker full of IWB holsters I've bought over the years, each time thinking, "This will be the RIGHT one!"

In case any of you are wondering, no, I'm not fat.

So in short, do any of you carry concealed OWB? And if so, what do you carry and in what holster?

#2 ·
A couple of choices I use and like. Pictured: G26 in a Simply Rugged CID, XDS in a Fist #12. These 2 holsters were both about $100 give or take. It's the pancake design that makes them very concealable when worn OWB with a cover garment.

As for IWB carry the best I have for that is a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 that fits my Glocks 19 and 26. With the Sparks holster you might find that you like IWB after all.

Attachments

#4 ·
1911 Commander is carried in a Milt Sparks Axiom, or a Fist, Inc. #42 Driving Holster, or a Red Nichols paddle holster. The Sig P365 is carried in Crossbreed "Reckoning." I've been carrying for 45 years and these are what works best for me for the pistols mentioned.

#6 ·
I carried OWB for eight years, either a G26, G19 or G30. Mostly in a kydex holster, either Raven Concealment Phantom, Bravo Concealment, or similar. For the past year I have carried exclusively AIWB. I am wearing the same size pants, but since they have elastic in the waist, they fit acceptably with or without a pistol concealed.

I now carry a Sig P229 (about the same size as a G19) and find it to be very comfortable. Of course, I also am using an infinitely adjustable belt and a holster specifically designed for AIWB.

Reactions: Holmes375
#11 ·
Re an OWB holster that really does hold the gun tight enough to conceal well: I doubt there is one with a full shield on the back side. And if there is, I think that stiff leather would be quite uncomfortable. Soft leather is a no-no if you want to holster safely and not get the trigger caught in the "collapsing" leather.

Get some sleeveless light weight undershirts - the Brits call them singlets. A undershirt tank top, if you will. Some people prefer thin cotton but others prefer man made fibers that supposedly wick away moisture.

And that is the advice from Granny.

#9 ·
I don't like IWB because I can't get my belt tight enough to hold my pants up without digging the gun into my side.

I live in Colorado where it's usually cool enough that a T-Shirt and an over shirt don't look out of place.

I carry a Glock 19 or a 26 in the appropriate sized Galco CM holster.

#61 ·
I don't like IWB because I can't get my belt tight enough to hold my pants up without digging the gun into my side.

The magic word is: Suspenders.

Specifically Perry brand with clips that that slip under your gunbelt. Don't leave home without it!

#10 ·
I have carried a 3" SP101, Glock 43, SD9, Sig P227 and P220 and currently a Commander 1911 OWB concealed. I have always used Don Hume from Gunners Alley. Good handgun boning and high riding so retains nicely and the big one for me is 1.75" belt slots since all my belts,even the heavy duty gun belt is 1.75" wide. The wider belts allow me to use a thinner more comfortable belt and retain the stiffness needed to keep the gun in close.

#14 ·
For OWB carry:
Various 1911’s in either Mitch Rosen, Wilson Combat, Warbird Leather, leather holsters.

Various M&P pistols in Wilson Combat leather holsters, or Panther Concealment Kydex holsters.

All are carried at 3:00, same place I carry IWB.

I always wear an undershirt, and my cover garment is usually a Tee shirt.

#15 ·
I use an undershirt or T shirt to keep the pistol off the skin.

SP101 in a Theis holster.

Glocks in a Glock Sport/Combat holster. I’m getting a custom leather one made with a thumb break for when I might want to open carry. I won’t open carry without retention.

I tried IWB, hated it. And I’m not buying a whole new wardrobe to have room.

#16 ·
When I carry concealed OWB, I use a DM Bullard Bodyguard holster. It has a 25 degree cant which angles the grip up my body to reduce printing and has a sweat guard. It's designed to be worn at 5-530. The added benefit of the steep cant is that when seated the grip is brought up giving you an easy draw.

I've carried full sized autos this way with no problem.

Reactions: TSKnight
#19 ·
I've been owb carrying with a cover shirt more and more here lately. Definitely more comfortable imo.

SP101 and several other revolvers in a Galco concealable holster. LCR in a pancake (forget the maker).
Various semiautomatics in Galco Combat master and CZ75 compact in a Simply Rugged Cuda.

Attachments

#26 ·
I always go back to OWB carry in a leather pancake style holster covered by an untucked shirt. I carry a 5" 1911 with a spare magazine from the time I get dressed until it goes on the nightstand when I go to bed. For a second gun or deep concealment, I go with a pocket holster. Here is my D.M. Bullard Combat holster in Brown Tiger Shark leather with a sweat shield. In the summer, I wear a very thin A-shirt underneath. In the winter, I wear a heavy T-shirt underneath. The pocket holster is a Ted Blocker pocket holster.

Handgun holster Gun accessory Revolver

#28 ·
For the last few years I've pocket carried a Springfield XDS .45 in a pocket holster. I started out doing this just around the house and my own neighborhood.

I want to carry my other pistols just as comfortably, but I have finally accepted a fact of life: I don't care for IWB carry. Yes, I know it offers the best concealment, but I hate putting an IWB holster on and taking it off. I also hate the way it feels when I sit down. I'm also not crazy about having to wear looser pants to accommodate an IWB holster. I have a locker full of IWB holsters I've bought over the years, each time thinking, "This will be the RIGHT one!"

In case any of you are wondering, no, I'm not fat.

So in short, do any of you carry concealed OWB? And if so, what do you carry and in what holster?
Depends on the firearm.
Glock 30SF and Sig P365 I use a Bianchi foldaway.
Glock 19X and Colt Defender, I use a Bianchi pancake
Full-size 1911, I use a Tagua pancake.

Reactions: TSKnight
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.