Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been useing a Wilderness 5 stitch for about 2 years now and still have to say that it is an awesum belt.The velcro is starting to leave but thats an easy fix.So who out there wears these belts?If not what do you use.Thanks in advance

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive hung a 1911 off of my Wilderness belt for a couple of years now. It aint pretty but it its functional.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
No Wilderness here but what I use is a ''made in Texas'' belt - no maker's name but one I get from one of my fairly local gun shops.

It's marked ''cowhide/cowhid lined'' and has a fabric camo exterior. Not quite as thick as some - probably 3/16", and 1 1/4" width. I have one nice 1 1/2" all leather belt I can use sometimes but not all my pant belt loops will take that width.

Tho the belt I describe is not top of range it does me very well, having good resistance to sideways stretch - and what it does aquire becomes self limiting. Security is the name of the game plus keeping the rig as wanted - it does that.

Final test - does it work for me - yep!

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I have, and wear, a black Wilderness 5-stitch. Great belt; comfortable, durable and still looks new after a couple of years.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a couple: a three-stitch and a CSM. The CSM is too stiff to use with my favorite mag/flashlight holder, it's about impossible to thread through the slots and belt loops. As a result, it doesn't see as much action. The three-stitch is plenty stiff enough to carry the load, but is flexible enough to work with any holster or pouch I have.

KC

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Howdy!

I normally wear one of my own Combat Dress Belts. However, I do have a Wilderness 5 Stitch (1.5") that I wear when doing grunt work (so I don't scuff up my leather belt).
I have found that the Wilderness is superb in terms of properly supporting the firearm and spare mag, and is pretty comfortable. I have found, however, that the square edges of the webbing aren't quite as comfortable as the rounded edges of a good leather belt for long term wear. (the square edge sometimes starts to rub a hot spot on my hip bones). Overall, the Wilderness Instructor's Belt is an excellent low cost alternative to a leather gunbelt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the 1.5" 5stitch for daily wear and the 1.75" 5stitch for hunting which has a S&W 629, Filson double tin chaps, etc. hanging off it. They are great! My only complaint is they need to make some with lower profile buckles. When I pull my cover garments to draw they often hang up on the burly buckle. I will eventually have some custom leather belts made up also.

God Bless

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've had one for a couple of years, and I wear it when I can be informal ( and have black shoes on, of course!) Good CCW belt for the price, but gary is right about the sharp edges..

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I have one in the wide size (1.75")but I hardly ever wear it because it's very uncomfortable for those guys like me who suffer from a severe case of the DUNLAP condition where my gut has Done Lapped over my belt buckle. Very painful IMHO. You know the origin of these belts? They used to be available only to USAF crewmen for C130 and larger aircraft. Then the Special Forces operators got wise and started using them too. They're nothing more than A7 cargo straps used to tie gear to the floor of the aircraft. So whatever you pay at Wilderness, figure that the original A7 was to be had for .....nothing? Maybe the cost of some beers to the crew at a layover.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I don't use a Wilderness belt, but I have a competitor's belt....Spectre Gear. It's a nice belt; it holds whatever gun, mag pouch, flashlight, etc. up with no problems.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yep. I have a black 5 stitch I use for shooting games and occasional casual wear. I also have a kakhi colored Wilderness belt with the more casual ring belt buckle. Both are great belts.

I am also using a Liger belt now for a bit more dressy stuff -- and I like it a whole lot too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've got a black 5-stitch that I often use.

Duane, any chance you can give us some thoughts on the relative merits of the Wilderness and the Ligers? :wave:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Erich,

I could... In fact, all my thoughts will be in my column in the May issue of CCM! ;)

Seriously, the Liger belts are also made of synthetic material and have great stiffness for carrying holsters. The Liger belt won't double as a rapelling harness, but it has much more of a "standard" belt look about it -- looking like a typical leather belt.

Although some find the buckle on the Liger belt to look a bit strange, the whole combo is a lot less tactical looking than any wilderness belt -- while maintaining the great gun belt functionality. That Ligerthane is so tough it seems like it would last forever.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh, yeah...I bought mine from Lightning Arms Sports. I can't possibly speak highly enough of their customer service and business integrity ! Great People!

God Bless

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MTGun said:
Oh, yeah...I bought mine from Lightning Arms Sports. I can't possibly speak highly enough of their customer service and business integrity ! Great People!

God Bless
Yes,LA Sports are #1 on my list for holsters and belts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My two carry belts are a 5-stitch 1.5in Wilderness Instructor, which I like a lot, and a Filson double belt that's 1.5 in wide as well. I tend to wear the 5-stich more often for no dicernable reason ... probably because it's what I come to first when I look for one of them.

I'll add to Delta and MT's comments ... Lightning Arms is outstanding! Great people.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts