Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadnt thought of this initially and always 'dressing to conceal' seemed a bit unreasonable for me....but purse carry definitely has some drawbacks too.

Do any women carry on their person, and then when they arrive somewhere, or want to be comfortable, just go into the ladies room and put their handgun in their purse?

3 seasons of the yr, I do pretty much dress in a way that I could conceal, at least with a vest or jacket. But sitting, moving around alot, arriving somewhere and socializing with jacket off.....less than ideal.

Do any women to this? It's starting to look like an attractive option for me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Purse

My mom and two aunts purse carry all the time. The only potential issue I cant think of would be if someone sneaked up and snatched your purse.

Alex!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying in a purse for a few reasons:
1. Mentioned already by Alex
2. If the purpose of doing so is to leave the purse on the floor/chair etc., unattended - the handgun could be picked up by a kid or anyone. I wouldn't want a loaded weapon unattended to fall into the wrong hands.
3. If I needed the handgun for self-defense....Murphy's law, the purse wouldn't be with me. And if the purse was with me, in a self-defense situation a person loses all fine motor control - therefore actually getting the purse open and getting to the handgun would be difficult and time consuming.
Just my 2 cents

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what I'm saying is to do both...carry on your person, IWB, OWB, or other, while in transit or while walking around....and THEN put it in your purse (special section or holster of course) when you get somewhere...to be more comfortable or because you take off an outer layer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Smart Carry

Just a thought, have you tried a Smartcarry holster? Its about as concealed and comfortable as you can get and works with pants or skirts. I carry a pretty large pistol dimensionally and it requires no cover garment. I worry about my Mom, she doesnt carry often enough and when she does Im always worried about her not being able to get to it quickly enough.

Alex!

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's been suggested in other threads that a SmartCarry is ideal for pretty much anyone (works under slacks, skirts, even kilts:gah:) who wants to carry comfortably and not get "made".

I wear one to work in a suit and it's great.

As to the purse, if you are comfortable with placing the gun in it at the desk or otherwise, then go ahead.

Just make very sure that it is not going to be easy access for ANYONE else.:nono:

Men are often the ones who bring up the point of "leaving the purse behind", but as a married man, I have yet to see a woman (my wife as prime example) leave her purse anywhere that is not within about 5 feet from her. Not to mention, I pity the man who tries to take one from a woman who has decided to arm herself...:hand5:

Just my $0.02...:smoke23:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Nope, no off body carry for me, ever. I just don't feel my firearm is secure enough.
98% of the time I carry OWB, 1% IWB and 1% in a Smart Carry if I'm lounging around in sweats and not wearing a belt.
I dress casually, jeans and a T-shirt or sweatshirt, which fits my lifestyle and I've never had to really dress around the gun(any of them) with the exception of watching the length of my cover shirt. I've had a total of 2 shirts from my pre-carry days that I don't wear anymore, because they are too short.
I don't look or feel frumpy, or masculine, and I strongly believe that carrying concealed is worth making a few wardrobe changes if I need to. My safety, and that of others is well worth making the changes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a purse that is made for gun carry. The longer I carry, the less I use that as my main way though. I now carry almost exclusively IWB and use a 380 kel tech. I travel across the state in my job so I also have a 9mm that is holstered to the inside pocket of the car door. I carry a small gun, usually my pt22 in my brief case. When I travel using my Coronado gun purse there is not much chance of leaving it as I carry it cross body style so my hands are free. I would recommend if you purse carry to also use a gun carry purse as it has side zippers pockets that are made exclusively for a gun and you do not have a lot of motor ckills to pull the zipper down to get into the purse and you would not be having to search to find it. They have holsters that actually attach to the sides of the pocket so that the gun stays in the same place, no sliding around. As for your mom. I'd rather that she purse carry than not carry at all.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Safety vs comfort is the same issues men face.

Just like my mother before her my sisters always carry’s a 38 in her purse. And I don’t see a problem with it so long as you remember to always take it with you.

My wife jokingly calls it my murse

When boating, or backcountry riding in the Jeep, I carry a Blackhawk bag that’s about the size of a small lady’s purse. In it I bring along a GPS, Glock, multi tool, extra magazines, cell phone, and my wallet and keys.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
My wife's only been carrying for about a year now......

......better late than never! :hand5:

Early on, she admitted to doing that exact thing a couple of times. Then she found herself forgetting to reverse the process leaving the restaurant, or other destination and ended up purse carrying when she really had no intention to do so. Now she simply commits to carrying on body.

FWIW....

·
Registered
983 Posts
I strongly believe that carrying concealed is worth making a few wardrobe changes if I need to. My safety, and that of others is well worth making the changes.
Excellent point! :35:

·
Registered
506 Posts
9MMare,

As a general rule of thumb, the less unnecessary gun handling you do during the day, the less likely you are to experience an unintended discharge or to leave your firearm someplace it doesn't belong. That's one of the reasons I'm such a fan of on-body carry: it dramatically reduces unnecessary gun handling.

That said, I've often worn a firearm to the doctor's office, and then stepped into the bathroom once there to place the gun inside my carry purse. It's not an ideal solution to the scales problem, but it works. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing that every day, everywhere, though.

pax

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Thigh holster, smartcarry, and belly band should cover most situations sans belt. A shoulder or bra holster should cover most long sitting situations. Of course OWB and IWB are the ideal, if they can be managed (accessorized.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know it's not popular on these forums, but I like purse carry. My purse is a crossbody style, so it's not going to be snatched from me while I'm wearing it. (I have a modified Timbuk2 bag. I recommend them! They're not intended for this kind of thing but you wouldn't know it, and the ballistics nylon is super durable)

But I'm also the sort of person who never loses her purse, keys, wallet, etc.

I refuse to dress around my gun. And there are just days where it's easier than others. I like having the fall-back of my purse.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Purse carry is way better than no carry. Cross shoulder carry, with an anti-cut chain inside the strap, is better. I sometimes worry, when I'm standing at the checkout, how many purses are pointing at me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm a plus-sized woman, with a large waist. Belts are terribly uncomfortable, and the excess weight causes Smart Carrys and belly bands to not work - some part of the gun either sticks outward, or sticks into me.

I purse carry, and it's never far from me. If I'm walking, shopping, etc., I have one hand on the purse strap at all times. If I have a shopping cart, it's in the kid seat, strap wrapped twice around the bar, and around my wrist. And as Grandma mentioned above, it's a purse that has a special side zipper pocket, with a small holster inside that covers the trigger and guard - sized especially for my EDC.

It's not the best way to carry, but it's the only thing that works for me right now.

Edit: I agree with Pax -- the less switching around you do during the day, the better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've given some thought to this... I've told myself to carry on-body, simply because if I'm ever mugged, the mugger isn't going to go: "gimme yer wallet" he's going to demand my purse. All I would have to do would hand the purse to him-- he probably wouldn't like me sticking my hand in it. :/ I've started to always carry the purse on my left side so when I do start carrying and (god forbid) ever get mugged, I could turn the left side towards him as if I'm going to hand him the back, but be drawing from my strong-side.

That said... I've thought when I get to the car I would take the gun out and put it in my purse. That would be my one thought... The purse is open and sits in the passenger seat, and it would be an easier draw there than from behind me. I'd just have to make extra special care that I put it back on me when I get out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I carry IWB, most all the time,, 95 % of the time anyways, I do have a fanny pack,, purses are not for me,& never have been.. If I'm out on the town I've usually got my glock .19 on me,IWB, If not Ron8903 has got his on him. But wearing shorts and a small shirt, I usually carry in my fanny pack,, which is perfect for me, quick & easy access and no one has ever thought I'd have an equalizer in that small of a bag. Go with what's comfortable,but also safe, I would be scared of the BG snatching my purse, he'd have a hard time snatching my fanny pack,, plus from behind you can't even see it,,it looks like a belt.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I carry on body always. I have found with a variety of holsters and a belly band I am set for most clothes. I particularly like the belly band for comfort as you can position the gun anywhere around your midsection. I might consider purse carry for a BUG but not for primary.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, I googled SmartCarry and from I can see, there's no way that works for me. I live in blue jeans...that's all I own.

I think it will have to be OWB, which seems like the most efficient for drawing, or special carry purses, which I have been looking at.

But people also made sense about not messing with the gun any more than you had to...forgetting to put it back on later or forgetting it somewhere.

And I do have a fanny pack for outdoors stuff and riding.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts